Darius Garland

iRepIU

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

I think it is now a fait accompli that Darius ends up at IU. Mile will have home town kid on the team to root for! With him being from your actual home town, you have to be wanting him more than Davis.

Oh yeah.  Would love to see Darius in Candy Stripes.  Would almost make up for losing B.J. Dawson to MSU.  Followed that kid from biddy basketball, through my old high school in Gary, and onto to pro's.

De'Ron.  Followed him for nearly as long.  Still have a pic of him and me after a game of his, after he committed to IU. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stingyhoosierdefense said:

Garland court vison and passing skills at this point are more polished than Zekes were. Also watch his tape Garland makes passes some NBA point guards can't make.. Point is you can't teach the no look pass , court vison to a extent. Zeke is the better scorer as of right now. Garland has the making for a terrific "true point". Pair that with the talent we will have and throw Romeo in there with defense being the standard not the exception as past seasons have shown, we might be looking at a team some fans haven't seen in their whole life!!! Fingers crossed till then. If this does happen I see the floodgates opening in our state. Is Archie going to build " the wall" around Indiana? 

Appreciate this contribution.... and welcome to the board !

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Appreciate this contribution.... and welcome to the board !

Thank you mile and I've been reading everything cream and crimson on here for a few years. Getting the early edge on my Hoosier knowledge ahead of my friends. We are all so excited about Archie and his staff... We are all in belief that he will be our Nick Saban, (awake the sleeping giant) Eventually placing Indiana basketball back amongst basketball blue blood were this program belongs.. This 2018 recruiting class is the domino that needs to fall our way! GO BIG RED

5 minutes ago, Stingyhoosierdefense said:

Thank you mile and I've been reading everything cream and crimson on here for a few years. Getting the early edge on my Hoosier knowledge ahead of my friends. We are all so excited about Archie and his staff... We are all in belief that he will be our Nick Saban, (awake the sleeping giant) Eventually placing Indiana basketball back amongst basketball blue blood were this program belongs.. This 2018 recruiting class is the domino that needs to fall our way! GO BIG RED

Relative to your user name (prophetic, by the way), just yesterday, Archie was talking about improving the defense.  Saying it will take some time.  However, what I was pleased to hear, is his wanting to employ a smothering man to man defense.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Relative to your user name (prophetic, by the way), just yesterday, Archie was talking about improving the defense.  Saying it will take some time.  However, what I was pleased to hear, is his wanting to employ a smothering man to man defense.

The most disappointing defect of Crean's coaching in my opinion was the absurd turnover issues along with poor defensive habits. Those are the two areas where Archie thrives in his philosophy. The improvements in those areas, will determine if we go dancing or another unacceptable NIT invite. Also, will this team look  more like a Bo Ryan grind it out classic wiscy squad? Or similar to last years team? Probably it will be some were in the middle of both is what I expect.Finally its that time of year were we can get serious about our Hoosiers and Assembly Hall wipes the dust off for another year.. Hoosier hysteria this year is the most anticipated I can remember since Eric Gordon and D Rose visited. I'm pumped to get this season underway needless to say.

13 minutes ago, Stingyhoosierdefense said:

The most disappointing defect of Crean's coaching in my opinion was the absurd turnover issues along with poor defensive habits. Those are the two areas where Archie thrives in his philosophy. The improvements in those areas, will determine if we go dancing or another unacceptable NIT invite. Also, will this team look  more like a Bo Ryan grind it out classic wiscy squad? Or similar to last years team? Probably it will be some were in the middle of both is what I expect.Finally its that time of year were we can get serious about our Hoosiers and Assembly Hall wipes the dust off for another year.. Hoosier hysteria this year is the most anticipated I can remember since Eric Gordon and D Rose visited. I'm pumped to get this season underway needless to say.

In terms of the offense..... Archie wants to run the ball.

1 hour ago, Stingyhoosierdefense said:

If that's the case I hope Newkirk and company can handle playing smothering man with pushing the tempo.. One thing that must change is the sloppy turnovers that  plagued last years team.

Agreed. It's one thing to play fast.  And another to play fast and sloppy.  The other thing, IMHO.  Stupid turnovers should earn time on the bench.

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Agreed. It's one thing to play fast.  And another to play fast and sloppy.  The other thing, IMHO.  Stupid turnovers should earn time on the bench.

Having sat pretty close to the bench at a few games, I think Crean rushed/pushed the guys way too much. Made them go way too fast. The second the opposing team shot and the ball was off the rim, he would be frantically screaming "GO!! GO!! GO!!". I literally turned to my friend and said, this is the reason we turn the ball over.

So many of our turnovers were from simply trying to go too fast. And I think Crean was the big reason for this. 

I think that it is premature to label any high school kid as the potential "best" we've had at anything. Let him show the skills against elite level Division 1 talent, and then the comparisons might hold water.

Absolutely, valuing ball possession has to be an emphasis for Archie and this team. I am hoping that besides the strong focus on reducing turnovers and playing solid defense, the tried and true method of using "pine time" as a motivator also returns.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I think that it is premature to label any high school kid as the potential "best" we've had at anything. Let him show the skills against elite level Division 1 talent, and then the comparisons might hold water.

Absolutely, valuing ball possession has to be an emphasis for Archie and this team. I am hoping that besides the strong focus on reducing turnovers and playing solid defense, the tried and true method of using "pine time" as a motivator also returns.

Image result for wet blanket

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Although I agree with your statement, there have been exceptions.  Zeke was on the '79 Pan-American team before he even played a college game.  At the time I knew we had something special coming to IU.

22 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Sounds like he will pick Vandy

Love ya, Bow.  However, somehow, I did not get the same vibe as you.  What I took from that interview is that Darius pointed out the strong points of the remaining schools in the hunt for him. For me, it sounded like he could chose any one.  However, the one thing I like is that his dad grew up an IU fan. And Darius, is most likely hearing about that from his dad. And when mentioned, he smiled and shook his head  in affirmation. Truthfully, based on that interview, in my estimation, all remaining schools have a good chance in landing Darius. 

2 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Did anyone else notice that when he started to refer to UCLA that he began to say "Coach Miller...."?  Freudian slip???? 😁

Hey, Hey.... welcome to HSN.03.... my tribute to Hary Caray, who spent 25 years as the Cards broadcaster before the Cubs.

Harry Caray's HEY! - YouTube

Welcome aboard.   Got to say.... I love, love , love St. Louis style pizza, cut into squares.  Is it Imo's ?  I think it is.  Also, love your avatar professing who you pull for.  Great stuff. 

In my mind (which has been wrong on occasion xD) it would seem safe to assume he isn't going to Kentucky because of Immanuel Quickley.  Indiana, although we would love to Garland doesn't necessarily need him because of Phinisee, Jones and Green most likely being on the roster during the 2018-19 season. UCLA, assuming Jaylen Hands goes pro, would have an immediate need and Vanderbilt could really use a PG like Garland. Here's some quotes about the 4 remaining schools. 

Garland broke down his four finalists and what he likes about each:

Vanderbilt: “It’s home and I’ve known coach [Bryce] Drew for a while now. Great program, academics are really high and the future is really bright.”

Kentucky: “They get players to the League and that’s my main goal, getting to the NBA. Coach Cal and his staff is really great and they produce elite guards and players.”

Indiana: “Just being a leader and coming in and having the ball right away. Playing my game, being a leader, being more vocal, thats what I’m working on now.”

UCLA: “If Jay Hands stay, we can play in the backcourt together, but they’re really young and they have really good players.”

Archived