Darius Garland

iRepIU

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hey, Hey.... welcome to HSN.03.... my tribute to Hary Caray, who spent 25 years as the Cards broadcaster before the Cubs.

Harry Caray's HEY! - YouTube

Welcome aboard.   Got to say.... I love, love , love St. Louis style pizza, cut into squares.  Is it Imo's ?  I think it is.  Also, love your avatar professing who you pull for.  Great stuff. 

Thanks for the welcome Mile.  I've actually followed the board since Scout, but my posting dropped off since starting a family  a couple of years ago.  Also, I'm not from St.Louis, I just was raised watching the red birds, so the forum name is a little misleading :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Thanks for the welcome Mile.  I've actually followed the board since Scout, but my posting dropped off since starting a family  a couple of years ago.  Also, I'm not from St.Louis, I just was raised watching the red birds, so the forum name is a little misleading :)

Thanks for following since Scout days.  That's great to hear. Oh, and if you ever make it to St. Louis.... gotta at least try the St. Louis style pizza.  Cracker thin, and they make it with a special cheese, they call Provel ( a combination of different cheeses).  Best of luck to your Cards, in the coming seasons !

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for following since Scout days.  That's great to hear. Oh, and if you ever make it to St. Louis.... gotta at least try the St. Louis style pizza.  Cracker thin, and they make it with a special cheese, they call Provel ( a combination of different cheeses).  Best of luck to your Cards, in the coming seasons !

mile if you ever come to st Louis ill buy you an imo's pizza that you are speaking of above and buy you a beer. also have you ever had the toasted ravioli around here. or some delicious bbq?

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

mile if you ever come to st Louis ill buy you an imo's pizza that you are speaking of above and buy you a beer. also have you ever had the toasted ravioli around here. or some delicious bbq?

I was in St Louis a week ago. First time in 10+ years. Didn't have any pizza but did have some BBQ. Pappys was fantastic. 

Mile, I think you should rent a RV and see how many members/ restaurants you can visit. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I was in St Louis a week ago. First time in 10+ years. Didn't have any pizza but did have some BBQ. Pappys was fantastic. 

Mile, I think you should rent a RV and see how many members/ restaurants you can visit. 

pappys is good depending on what you like... there is actually two bbq places in Illinois about 20 miles from downtown that are better. one place is called beast craft bbq and it has a 24 ounce pork steak that they wont give you a knife for and have this amazing candied bacon. its in a town I live in called Belleville, Illinois there is also a new bbq place called a fine swine in new baden Illinois and it just beat out pappys and 31 other bbq places for best bbq in st Louis area. Pappys has really good ribs.  

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I've had BBQ in St. Louis.  Fantastic.  And though I know about toasted ravioli, I have never had it.  I understand some of the best Italian restaurants in St. Louis are in an area called the hill.  If memory is correct.

Also.... first time I was introduced to fried pickles was in Missouri.  Springfield, not St. Louis.  My first reaction was "what?, but I will try most anything at least once."  Chips, not slices... and I fell in love with them

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Something I would truly love to do.  Aside from HSN.03 , one board I have frequented for years, is just about this. 

Roadfood – Your Guide to Authentic Regional Eats

5 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

In my mind (which has been wrong on occasion xD) it would seem safe to assume he isn't going to Kentucky because of Immanuel Quickley.  Indiana, although we would love to Garland doesn't necessarily need him because of Phinisee, Jones and Green most likely being on the roster during the 2018-19 season. UCLA, assuming Jaylen Hands goes pro, would have an immediate need and Vanderbilt could really use a PG like Garland. Here's some quotes about the 4 remaining schools. 

I don't think Phinisee will be ready to compete with Garland as a freshman, and Jones will never be a point guard.  A junior Green would provide some competition for Garland, but I don't think that will keep him away.

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don't think Phinisee will be ready to compete with Garland as a freshman, and Jones will never be a point guard.  A junior Green would provide some competition for Garland, but I don't think that will keep him away.

I'm curious as to the jump Green will make this year. I think he has a high ceiling and hope he flourishes within Archie's system. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I'm curious as to the jump Green will make this year. I think he has a high ceiling and hope he flourishes within Archie's system. 

Totally agree.  He might have the best court vision of any of our guards, and he can shoot from deep and get to the rim.  I also think he has the intangibles a lot of our other players lack - you can tell he's a great competitor.  And as Archie said, he has the skills to be an "Indiana defender."  Really excited to see what he can do this season.

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm curious as well.  I thought he was one of the better players on the team last year but didn't get enough playing time imo.  From the interviews with Archie I've seen, he always talks about his ability to create, score and shoot the ball.  

10 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I'm curious as well.  I thought he was one of the better players on the team last year but didn't get enough playing time imo.  From the interviews with Archie I've seen, he always talks about his ability to create, score and shoot the ball.  

True. And I remember Archie really raving about his defense. That should also help him get floor time under Archie.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

I'm curious to see what Greene can as well this year.  I have noticed that Cujo doesn't get mentioned much which surprises me.  Perhaps Archie isn't high on him.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree there is no one currently on the roster or will be that would bother Garland for playing time. Based on these comments 

Miller's early pitch paid dividends Saturday, when Phinisee called with good news. 

"He was really excited," Phinisee said. "He told me I was the guy they needed and wanted. He was just really excited for me."

and 

As for Indiana, Phinisee said Miller's recruiting pitch has been straightforward.

“They say (redshirt senior Josh) Newkirk, that’s their only pure point,” Phinisee said. “Then they have the 2017 class coming in. They want a guard in 2018 to come in and run the team. That’s their message.”

I still believe (maybe foolishly) that Phinisee will be ready for college ball based on what Coach Miller has said to Robert. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I've had BBQ in St. Louis.  Fantastic.  And though I know about toasted ravioli, I have never had it.  I understand some of the best Italian restaurants in St. Louis are in an area called the hill.  If memory is correct.

Also.... first time I was introduced to fried pickles was in Missouri.  Springfield, not St. Louis.  My first reaction was "what?, but I will try most anything at least once."  Chips, not slices... and I fell in love with them

yep you are spot on... the hill is where to go for Italian and you will get the best toasted ravioli there. yes fried pickles are so popular here and very delicious... hooters has some of the best fried pickles around. So does a place called Twin Peaks and also this place in Webster groves( a suburb of STL) is absolutely amazing too

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Getting back on topic, there is this from yesterday out of Tennessee :

Vanderbilt: Simi Shittu, Darius Garland keep Commodores as finalists in recruiting

Thanks for sharing.

Is it fair to say Garland has 4 realistic outcomes?

1. Possibly play with 2 other 5 stars (Langford and Shittu) at Vanderbilt
  2. Play with Immanuel Quickley, maybe Zion Williamson and bunch of other 5 stars at Kentucky. 
  3. Unknown roster at UCLA
  4. Possibly play with Langford, the current 4 star commits and remaining roster at Indiana.

Which one looks better at this point?

Hoosier_Hysteria_Website_Size_1_.jpg

Honestly Darius has four good to great options.  Personally, I like our chances with him, as he still has Hoosier Hysteria in front of him, and currently is planning to commit somewhere shortly thereafter..... in other words, Darius and his dad are saying a commitment is coming in early November.

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Archie talks a lot about east coast guards and Indiana defenders. Green probably fits that description better than anyone we have, I think he will get a lot of PT. 

Agreed. Green may be up for a real breakout year. He's a tenacious defender, and he can shoot it from deep, he should fit CAM's system/style well.

CuJo has tons of upside. It's important he get stronger, but hey he was a frosh and he's reportedly been working hard on his strength and conditioning. I think he'll be fine, kid has serious talent.

4 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Thanks for sharing.

2. Play with Immanuel Quickley, maybe Zion Williamson and bunch of other 5 stars at Kentucky. 
  4. Possibly play with Langford, the current 4 star commits and remaining roster at Indiana.

I would say that's not fair to say.  That's best case scenario at each destination. Doesn't mean he gets to choose from those four options. 

5 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Thanks for sharing.

Vanderbilt's roster is not that dim.

They have the following per 247 composite:

Toye - 113 and 4 star

Baptiste - 168 and 3 star

Brown - 122 and 4 star

Willis - 149 and 3 star

Lee - 105 and 4 star

Austin Jr. - 116 and 4 star

Obinna - 154 and 3 star

Nesmith - 104 and 4 star

They have 4 stars and if they get Shittu and Garland.  That is a tournament team roster.

Archived