Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, KDB said:

Have you heard IU is out for Garland, Mile?

No I have not.  Would come as a surprise to me, as just last weekend he was in Colorado, speaking highly of Coach Miller. I am like 0708, unless something happened today.    I know this video has been posted already.  However, here's what he had to say about IU and Coach Miller.  Around the 2 minute mark.....

Five-star guard Darius Garland talks Vandy visit, Kentucky, Indiana and UCLA - YouTube

I have done some checking. A poster on one of the Vandy sites is claiming that Darius has told some Vandy players that he is going to commit there.  I would take this with a big grain of salt, seeing as  to the source.  And I would hope that if true, that Wells has a better source than a Vandy fan posting on his school fanboard.  Writers, however.... may be another story.  Yet again... take with a big grain of salt.  Darius is scheduled to attend HH.  If that visit gets cancelled, then I would start to become a believer.  However for now, I am not convinced.

I always fall back on Jared Jeffries in situations like this.  Who the night before he was to announce, told his parents he was committing to Duke, the next day.  Only to announce for IU the next day. 

I would have no issues at all if Garland committed to Vandy.  In fact, it says a lot about what's important to the young man.  

We all want Romeo to commit to IU and be a home-state legend.  Well, if Darius commits to Vandy, that may be exactly what he has in mind as well. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I would have no issues at all if Garland committed to Vandy.  In fact, it says a lot about what's important to the young man.  

We all want Romeo to commit to IU and be a home-state legend.  Well, if Darius commits to Vandy, that may be exactly what he has in mind as well. 

Agreed. I would hate to miss out on him. But if he chose Vandy?

I would have nothing but respect for him.

Still, I would rather respect him in Candy Stripes. 

And other one real life example in addition to Jeffries, when dealing with young men.  Moses Abraham told IU players he would be committing to IU after his visit.  But only had to tell his mother first. Two days later, Moses committed to Georgetown.  Learned this lesson from my own son, when he was this age, what they say and actually do, can be two different things. And those can change from day to day.

VIP article on Kentucky 247Sports page about Garland's visit sounds like UK has a solid chance, he said that the visit was "ridiculous" (in a good way) and that he really likes Coach Cal. Also said that "every school is equal right now.." 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, KDB said:

VIP article on Kentucky 247Sports page about Garland's visit sounds like UK has a solid chance, he said that the visit was "ridiculous" (in a good way) and that he really likes Coach Cal. Also said that "every school is equal right now.." 

Geeze Louise...... The minds of an 18 year old

I would love to get Garland...but I won't lose any sleep if we lose out on him. Romeo is the guy we need to get. He's in-state and he's elite. Without Garland, we would still be in pretty good shape at PG with 2 upperclassmen...one of those, I believe will be a stud (Green) and then Phinisee. 

12 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I would love to get Garland...but I won't lose any sleep if we lose out on him. Romeo is the guy we need to get. He's in-state and he's elite. Without Garland, we would still be in pretty good shape at PG with 2 upperclassmen...one of those, I believe will be a stud (Green) and then Phinisee. 

Is Greene a point guard?

4 hours ago, BDB said:

Is Greene a point guard?

JMO, but I would say that he's not yet, based on his numbers from last season.  His assist rate (KenPom) was 11.8, the lowest among the guards, and his turnover rate was a horrendous 28.8, the worst on the team, worse even than McSwain.  Assists and ball-handling being the primary job of point guards, he'll have to improve markedly in those areas to be a point guard in my mind.

48 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

JMO, but I would say that he's not yet, based on his numbers from last season.  His assist rate (KenPom) was 11.8, the lowest among the guards, and his turnover rate was a horrendous 28.8, the worst on the team, worse even than McSwain.  Assists and ball-handling being the primary job of point guards, he'll have to improve markedly in those areas to be a point guard in my mind.

I agree but he was recruited to play PG and that's essentially what he is....it's just that last year he wasn't particularly a good one. That being said, I expect an under the radar PG recruit to be the worst on the team in ball control and consistency as a Freshmen. As I stated in the other topic, Green has all the tools to be a high level PG, as long as he continues to put in the work to improve his consistency while growing as a leader & floor general. Time will tell if he sees the court enough this year to progress significantly enough to win a starter role his JR season. 

5 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I agree but he was recruited to play PG and that's essentially what he is....it's just that last year he wasn't particularly a good one. That being said, I expect an under the radar PG recruit to be the worst on the team in ball control and consistency as a Freshmen. As I stated in the other topic, Green has all the tools to be a high level PG, as long as he continues to put in the work to improve his consistency while growing as a leader & floor general. Time will tell if he sees the court enough this year to progress significantly enough to win a starter role his JR season. 

Will be interesting to see how next season goes if we land Garland and then Green becomes the man this season.  Will be a good problem to have I guess.

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Will be interesting to see how next season goes if we land Garland and then Green becomes the man this season.  Will be a good problem to have I guess.

If we land Garland I wouldn't be surprised if both would be on the floor at the same time but that will also depend on if we get Romeo....which I don't see us getting one without the other so it if we do get these guys to Btown, it'll be an absolute dog fight for minutes for the entire back court and I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Jones or Durham transferred as a result. We'll see how it plays out. As you said, it would be an excellent problem to have so long as the older guys have a positive attitude about giving up minutes to Garland and Romeo.

I believe Green may become one of our most surprising players in overall play this year. He showed flashes last year and I expect consistent performance as this years moves along. I believe this team under CAMs tutelage will be very solid and ANYONE coming on board next year will be in a battle for minutes. Also Smiths ability will also be a shock. I've seen him a couple of times he's a through bred that just needs a little jerk on the reins every now and then. I loved Coach Crean for what he had done while at IU but feel very good that we got the right man for the next step.

Archived