Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember the Watford's use to drive from Birmingham for about every game and that is a lot farther than Nashville.

Yep. I understand the appeal of hometown. I do. But if the difference between getting a player is 3 hours I'll be a little surprised. As others have said I think I'm going to remain patient on this one. No one can tell me Vandy would be the better choice. 

I was thinking just in case we miss out on both Garland and Romeo where do we turn.  It just seems like we put everything into these two and we don't have a back up for these two.  I would hope we could wait until the spring to see if there are any coaching changes.  We could also look at some grad transfer and then save the scholarship for 2019 class.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was thinking just in case we miss out on both Garland and Romeo where do we turn.  It just seems like we put everything into these two and we don't have a back up for these two.  I would hope we could wait until the spring to see if there are any coaching changes.  We could also look at some grad transfer and then save the scholarship for 2019 class.

We already have a 4 star PG committed if we don't get Garland. Archie has already wrapped up a typical recruiting class for us if we don't get Romeo or Darius. If he does get even one of them, we are beyond our typical class.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We already have a 4 star PG committed if we don't get Garland. Archie has already wrapped up a typical recruiting class for us if we don't get Romeo or Darius. If he does get even one of them, we are beyond our typical class.

Yeah, we don't really need these two. Luxury, not a need. Archie will gladly carry the scholarships over to 2019 if needed.

Although, it'd be great to have the both.

20 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Another CB for Vandy:

image.png.53dde3de3d3cb97234851a94a7291708.png

image.png.97cfb9532992eb64ec26d5889e346b11.png

It seems that the CB predictions for Darius are mostly from "Duke insiders." -- for all we know one threw a dart, and all are following.  Think about it, Jerry Meyer has yet to change his pick - -- and I'm sure he has heard the "Duke insiders" reasoning of why they think Darius may choose Vandy.  If Jerry does change his pick, then it's time to start wondering what is going on.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Jerry have connections in Nashville?

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

It seems that the CB predictions for Darius are mostly from "Duke insiders." -- for all we know one threw a dart, and all are following.  Think about it, Jerry Meyer has yet to change his pick - -- and I'm sure he has heard the "Duke insiders" reasoning of why they think Darius may choose Vandy.  If Jerry does change his pick, then it's time to start wondering what is going on.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Jerry have connections in Nashville?

Agreed, as I am keeping an eye on Jerry's pick and yes, he lives in Nashville.

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I somewhat agree. Not a must have, but it sure would be a big deal for many reasons.

Romeo is a key recruit, Garland is a luxury. A great luxury! But I think Romeo is the bigger deal.

We need to have the Indiana Mr. Basketball to don the candy stripes if we want them to. Romeo hellos close the borders

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We need to have the Indiana Mr. Basketball to don the candy stripes if we want them to. Romeo hellos close the borders

The program completely takes off if Romeo commits to IU. If we miss on him, then we could be in the same position with next year's targets as we are with this years. 

Since this a DG thread...if DG commits, I can't possibly see us missing on Romeo.

Lastly, I think those Duke guys are throwing darts. The smart play is to crystal ball the long time, hometown favorite. Don't look like a fool predicting IU when you actually don't know anything, if he happens to choose Vandy. I'll worry (and probably count us out) if Jerry Meyer changes his prediction.

Just curious as to why so much stock is put into Jerry Meyers pick. I am very familiar and aware of who he is, I've been following him for years as well. Admittedly I do not follow the crystal ball predictions but still wonder why his picks carry so much clout. If he changes his pick then all the sudden we have been eliminated?

DG said in an interview w Peegs, that he hasn't decided and there is no frontrunner... Also, I may be overthinking it, but he sounds high on UCLA, and he doesn't say anything about IU that makes you feel any better than how we are feeling right now, says the same things about Vandy he has been saying for a while.. But included that "hopefully they get Shittu, and Romeo and just come in and have a big role." 

15 minutes ago, KDB said:

DG said in an interview w Peegs, that he hasn't decided and there is no frontrunner... Also, I may be overthinking it, but he sounds high on UCLA, and he doesn't say anything about IU that makes you feel any better than how we are feeling right now, says the same things about Vandy he has been saying for a while.. But included that "hopefully they get Shittu, and Romeo and just come in and have a big role." 

That last sentence doesnt sound good at all.

Our fanbase is a little over the top right now with panicking with the Crystal Ball.  The article on Peegs doesn't really shed any light anywhere.  People read way too much into the comments.  Darius hasn't decided yet and doesn't even know.  It will be between IU and Vandy.  That is all but a guarantee.  I can't really say who it will be.  I think Vandy is tugging pretty hard at him but if IU could get down there one more time to lay its plan out I think that would be a positive.  Who knows what happens, but I can guarantee you all these Duke writers are just grasping at straws and following the leader on their picks.  Nobody truly knows right now.

3 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

Our fanbase is a little over the top right now with panicking with the Crystal Ball.  The article on Peegs doesn't really shed any light anywhere.  People read way too much into the comments.  Darius hasn't decided yet and doesn't even know.  It will be between IU and Vandy.  That is all but a guarantee.  I can't really say who it will be.  I think Vandy is tugging pretty hard at him but if IU could get down there one more time to lay its plan out I think that would be a positive.  Who knows what happens, but I can guarantee you all these Duke writers are just grasping at straws and following the leader on their picks.  Nobody truly knows right now.

The Duke writers are following their leader, which is Andrew Slater. You might as well make all their picks just one, because they are making their picks based off of what Andrew has heard.

22 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

Just curious as to why so much stock is put into Jerry Meyers pick. I am very familiar and aware of who he is, I've been following him for years as well. Admittedly I do not follow the crystal ball predictions but still wonder why his picks carry so much clout. If he changes his pick then all the sudden we have been eliminated?

Because apparently when Jerry changes his CB close to a commitment, he has a really good track record of being right. So after DG's IU visit, Jerry changed to IU...we thought a commitment was imminent. Combine that with the fact that he lives in Nashville...I would say he's as plugged in as anyone could be to the DG recruitment/decision. 

Archived