Darius Garland

iRepIU

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have been saying it for months. On the positive side if we still had Crean we would not be in his final three. But Vandy has always been a bigger threat for Romeo than Kansas.

Depends on what he's looking for. The word has been that he wants to play for a title contender. If that's the driving force for him, then Kansas should be the pick. IU should be much better next year, but even with Romeo realistically isn't a National Title contender. That would also eliminate Vandy. Garland is great, and even if they add Shittu and Romeo, Vandy isn't close to a National Title contender. That would leave Kansas. 

If playing with some other top players in his class is most important, than Vandy is probably the leader, with Kansas to follow. 

If staying home and being the homtown hero, ala Garland, is most important, then IU should be a little. 

Obviously, kids don't pick schools in a vaccum based on one thing, and there are tons of other factors, but what drives his decision will be interesting. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Depends on what he's looking for. The word has been that he wants to play for a title contender. If that's the driving force for him, then Kansas should be the pick. IU should be much better next year, but even with Romeo realistically isn't a National Title contender. That would also eliminate Vandy. Garland is great, and even if they add Shittu and Romeo, Vandy isn't close to a National Title contender. That would leave Kansas. 

If playing with some other top players in his class is most important, than Vandy is probably the leader, with Kansas to follow. 

If staying home and being the homtown hero, ala Garland, is most important, then IU should be a little. 

Obviously, kids don't pick schools in a vaccum based on one thing, and there are tons of other factors, but what drives his decision will be interesting. 

Being close to home is a huge factor and that gives IU and Vandy an edge over Kansas.   Having a chance to be part of something 'special' is also a huge factor. At Kansas winning is the norm.  IU and Vandy offer unique opportunities to be legendary.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Being close to home is a huge factor and that gives IU and Vandy an edge over Kansas.   Having a chance to be part of something 'special' is also a huge factor. At Kansas winning is the norm.  IU and Vandy offer unique opportunities to be legendary.

Disagree on Vandy providing the opportunity for Romeo to be legendary. IMO that comes from IU or Kansas. Win a title at Kansas as you can become legendary. Go to IU and you don't necessarily have to win a title, just become the main cog in the rebuild that puts IU back in the top echelon of college basketball (compete for a big 10 title, make a 2nd weekend March run) and you can be legendary because it's IU and it's the home state. 

I think to be legendary at Vandy you probably have to win a national title, and I don't think, even if they also added Shittu, that there is any possibility of that. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Disagree on Vandy providing the opportunity for Romeo to be legendary. IMO that comes from IU or Kansas. Win a title at Kansas as you can become legendary. Go to IU and you don't necessarily have to win a title, just become the main cog in the rebuild that puts IU back in the top echelon of college basketball (compete for a big 10 title, make a 2nd weekend March run) and you can be legendary because it's IU and it's the home state. 

I think to be legendary at Vandy you probably have to win a national title, and I don't think, even if they also added Shittu, that there is any possibility of that. 

Bryce Drew is just getting warmed up on the recruiting trail and Romeo is not a one and done player (think Miles Bridges).  Vandy very well could be a Final Four contender in 3 years.

3 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

If I was Rabjohns I would feel a little used on this.  The Garlands knew they wouldn't get as much hype if they gave the Vandy people all of this info and allowed them to be so involved.  So they used IU's cover guys instead.  I don't know.  That all rubs me the wrong way completely. 

They could have told Rajohns it was Vandy but asked him to attend anyway. And unlike Biancardi, maybe Rabjohns chose to honor the request to keep it secret. No one on this board knows what they told Rabjohns.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Bryce Drew is just getting warmed up on the recruiting trail and Romeo is not a one and done player (think Miles Bridges).  Vandy very well could be a Final Four contender in 3 years.

So, not only is Bryce Drew landing 3 top 10 players, essentially a UK/Duke class, at Vandy, let that sink in Vanderbilt, but he's convincing them to all stay two years?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i completely disagree with your stance on Romeo being a one and done player.  The NBA have already had talks regarding making kids stay in school longer, and that will be happening sooner than later.  With Romeo's skill set and the upcoming draft changes, he's definitely a one and done in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

If I was Rabjohns I would feel a little used on this.  The Garlands knew they wouldn't get as much hype if they gave the Vandy people all of this info and allowed them to be so involved.  So they used IU's cover guys instead.  I don't know.  That all rubs me the wrong way completely. 

If I was Rabjonh's I would be furious with them if they did not tell him before hand. I would not make the trip all the way down there if I knew he was not going to IU.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Bryce seems like a good guy but I have wonder how all of a sudden that  Vanderbilt is becoming this hot spot for top recruits.  A lot of times when you see teams not accustom to getting great recruits start getting them there is a reason behind it.

This. I have no problem with Garland picking Vandy. None at all. He's a hometown kid and has a long relationship with Drew. That makes a sense. 

But, if Vandy land Shittu and Romeo then either Garland is the greatest salesmen (selling those two to join him at Vandy) or something is up at Vandy. Again, I totally get the Garland commit, no issues there, but for Vandy to land 3 top 10 recruits?!?! No way. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

So, not only is Bryce Drew landing 3 top 10 players, essentially a UK/Duke class, at Vandy, let that sink in Vanderbilt, but he's convincing them to all stay two years?

He would not be convincing Romeo of anything. I have a very good source that specifically stated that Romeo wad not planning on being a one and done. 

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

i completely disagree with your stance on Romeo being a one and done player.  The NBA have already had talks regarding making kids stay in school longer, and that will be happening sooner than later.  With Romeo's skill set and the upcoming draft changes, he's definitely a one and done in my eyes.

It had nothing to do with ability, rather what the young man wants in life. Thats why I comparwd his situation to Miles Bridges.

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm banking on Romeo doing what Darius is doing, selecting a hometown school. L'ville was a lock until their scandal.... Stay home Romeo

Louisville was not a lock before the scandal. There was a lot of smoke simply because of the local connection but there were other, unreported things that worked against UL.

21 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

They are also going to go back to letting kids come straight from HS. So in a year or two we wont even be talking about a top ten kids. If they make kids go to school for 2 to 3 years we wont see many top ten kids do that, imo.

Archived