Darius Garland

iRepIU

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Good. We can now put the talk of Al Durham being run off the team to bed.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what Al can do.

Actually, the rule of thumb is that you are only safe if you score 17 or more points in your second college game.  :coffee:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 10:22am Rabjohn's posted his Announcement Preview on twitter and within 1 minute Darius Garland liked it. At that point I thought interesting. No way would that family after granting special access the last month or so would invite Rabby down (and others) to cover if we weren't going to be the choice. Not only was I dead wrong but apparently (as Biancardi posting with quotes an hour later where Garland decided) Garland's family gave interviews,etc....and reached out to other media members to say they haven't told the coaches anything. We know that's BS because Garland said in presser that Drew cried on Friday when he told him he was coming to Vandy (at least we know Indiana St performance had nothing to do with choice).

With that said. Very disappointed in the handling of this. Whether it's Garland, his Dad or his Uncle...you can tell they used a national presence like us just to get exposure.

I for one hope Rabby lets off some steam. 

In terms of IU. We have 4 4 star guys and more coming. Plenty of F/S talent. I would ask this. If Archie had a plan to get both Garland and Romeo. Wouldn't be surprised if recruit someone else in addition to Romeo moving forward.

If anyone gets wind of Rabby comments. Would love to hear them!

Been thinking about this alot padt 2 weeks.  Over the summer there was talk of DG and RL wanting to play together. I always thought it would be at IU.  I cant imagine Romeo would let someone ekse decide gis college for him but...

We heard after HH that ig RL knew the school for sure he might committ early. So he eliminates it down to 3  2 of which DG had on his list. Maybe RL let Dg do the dirty work by committing and RL does not wNt to tick off the whole state during his Senior year so he waits til spring and can say i just really want to playwith DG and since heis at Vandy then Romeo will follow.

Not that i believe it but i heard that if DG chose IU Romeo would commit early if Vandy a spring committ

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not too disappointed with this one. First, no need to worry about available schollys for '18. Second, I'm really looking forward to seeing Phinisee play. With too many cooks in the kitchen, I fear we don't get to see the kid that jumped at the opportunity to be a Hoosier run the point and develop. I'm excited to watch him play his senior year and can't wait for him to get here. 

4 minutes ago, BEKA said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not too disappointed with this one. First, no need to worry about available schollys for '18. Second, I'm really looking forward to seeing Phinisee play. With too many cooks in the kitchen, I fear we don't get to see the kid that jumped at the opportunity to be a Hoosier run the point and develop. I'm excited to watch him play his senior year and can't wait for him to get here. 

I’m completely ok with this. I’m not ok with how the whole thing went down 

7 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I'm fine with who we have now and who is coming in. I or we can be disappointed though in how a process is handled. Two separate things in my book. They handled it very poorly. Article I just read said that Darius made decision Thursday. Called Coach at Vandy Friday. And to me personally....I don't like it when IU or IU media members get played. 

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can think of at least one game I'll probably root for Kentucky next year, and that makes me more angry than anything. 

Yep. Agree all day. Call me whatever you want. When I feel slighted as an IU fan.  Well let's just say I have a  loooooooong memory. People can say whatever they want about fans being petty but deep down. This particular situation ticks me off. I've gotten myself in a few situations I probably where I'm not proud of. 

So, what do you thing a recruiting pitch to Romeo from Darius sounds like:

"Hey Romes, it's me, D.  I'm sure you've already heard, but I popped for my hometown Vandy today.  Man, this is over the top.  Being the hometown hero is already the greatest thing ever.  The local girls love me, the coaches love me, They tell me that I'm going to change the culture, and we're going to start filling up that arena real soon.  I'm going to own this town!!!    But, hey, there's still plenty of room for you man, you can always be the Robin to my Batman.  Unless Shittu comes, and then he might be my Robin, but you could still be that Butler guy that hangs around the Bat Cave.  I don't mean Butler like that school in Indiana, I mean, really, who wants to go to school in Indiana?  What a bunch of dopes.  Can you believe those IU reporter guys bought my dads BS hook, line  and sinker.  Boy we had some real laughs around the ole Garland dinner table about that one!  Is everyone from Indiana that dumb?  So, glad we left that state.  Anyway, I hope you come down to Vandy with me.  I can't wait to show you how great it is to be the hometown hero.  Plus, because you're my boy, I'll make sure you get more than your fair share of my scraps.  You will be known as D's boy, and, doors will fly open!!!  C'mon man, you know you want it!  Come be D's boy!!"

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Agree all day. Call me whatever you want. When I feel slighted as an IU fan.  Well let's just say I have a  loooooooong memory. People can say whatever they want about fans being petty but deep down. This particular situation ticks me off. I've gotten myself in a few situations I probably where I'm not proud of. 

I agree.  I think it's pretty clear that only one school was ever in this race.  UCLA being second is a farce.  There was never a second, third, or fourth.  He should've just committed to Vandy a month or so ago.  I think we all would've respected that.

20 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, what do you thing a recruiting pitch to Romeo from Darius sounds like:

"Hey Romes, it's me, D.  I'm sure you've already heard, but I popped for my hometown Vandy today.  Man, this is over the top.  Being the hometown hero is already the greatest thing ever.  The local girls love me, the coaches love me, They tell me that I'm going to change the culture, and we're going to start filling up that arena real soon.  I'm going to own this town!!!    But, hey, there's still plenty of room for you man, you can always be the Robin to my Batman.  Unless Shittu comes, and then he might be my Robin, but you could still be that Butler guy that hangs around the Bat Cave.  I don't mean Butler like that school in Indiana, I mean, really, who wants to go to school in Indiana?  What a bunch of dopes.  Can you believe those IU reporter guys bought my dads BS hook, line  and sinker.  Boy we had some real laughs around the ole Garland dinner table about that one!  Is everyone from Indiana that dumb?  So, glad we left that state.  Anyway, I hope you come down to Vandy with me.  I can't wait to show you how great it is to be the hometown hero.  Plus, because you're my boy, I'll make sure you get more than your fair share of my scraps.  You will be known as D's boy, and, doors will fly open!!!  C'mon man, you know you want it!  Come be D's boy!!"

Great post dbm!! Let's hope Romeo doesn't want to be second fiddle in any program!!

The more I read, the more I get annoyed.  I don't begrudge the decision either, but if IU and the Indiana press was just trolled and disrespected by the Garland family (and the evidence I've seen thus far is pointing that way), that's pretty low-brow and immature.  I hope, as fans, we take the high road and put this recruit in the rearview mirror.  Let's let the timeline and the evidence speak for itself...if that reflects poorly on the Garlands, so be it.  The last thing potential recruits need to see is adult IU supporters trashing an 18-year-old on his Twitter account...and yes, I'm afraid to look.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Not to beat a dead horse..... But I hope Darius watched tonights' game to see what a "real" basketball atmosphere is like! Good Luck getting anything near that at Vandy!!!!

I'm not so sure a real basketball atmosphere and the pressure that goes with it had any appeal to Darius at all. 

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Apparently not. But if a kid has aspirations of the NBA, I would think they would choose a school where they can get the most exposure. Not sure he will get that at Vandy, JMO.

Nowadays if a player has the talent, he can likely get enough exposure anywhere. Some supremely talented kids are happy getting by on their natural talents and don't with to be pushed or deal with unnecessary pressure, some thrive on the pressure and are willing to do whatever it takes to excel. Some kids get knocked down and stay down while others get knocked down and come back twice as hard. Based on some things I read and with hindsight being 20/20 I wonder if Darius is more of the former and less of the latter in both cases. At Vandy he still gets attention and exposure, though both are undeniably lesser than at IU, but has absolutely none of the pressure. 

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Apparently not. But if a kid has aspirations of the NBA, I would think they would choose a school where they can get the most exposure. Not sure he will get that at Vandy, JMO.

Good point.  There were more than a dozen NBA scouts in AH for the Duke game.  I wonder if that will happen at Vandy this season. 

6 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Ben Simmons got enough exposure at LSU.

It's time to stop being the scorned lover and move on from Darius.

would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 30 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this University. To don the Candy stripes. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 30 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this University. To don the Candy stripes. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team.

'Coach goes, I go. Coach stays, I play.'  Jimmy Chitwood.

1 hour ago, rico said:

That second sentence sums it up for me.  Time to move on.  

Agreed as I commented on my post. However, after seeing the packed house at the game last night and the atmosphere, I couldn't help but wonder if Darius would get to experience anything near that at Vandy. Maybe when they play pUKe.....

BTW, not scorned at all. Just making a comment, isn't that what message boards are for???

Archived