Garland/Langford Combo Megathread

NCHoosier32

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Great post! I smell a movement......

I'm smelling something bigger....I don't have much respect for the Big10 on a national scale and can see us dominating it for the foreseeable future similarly to the way that Kansas does. Obviously the Big10 is tougher and better overall but if a particular sleeping giant wakes up....then it can be done.

We need to stack together three straight top 10 classes and if we do get Romeo + Garland we need them to absolutely shine to keep this momentum growing.

47 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I'm smelling something bigger....I don't have much respect for the Big10 on a national scale and can see us dominating it for the foreseeable future similarly to the way that Kansas does. Obviously the Big10 is tougher and better overall but if a particular sleeping giant wakes up....then it can be done.

We need to stack together three straight top 10 classes and if we do get Romeo + Garland we need them to absolutely shine to keep this momentum growing.

Haha man, you're cracking me up. From "we won't get any of the recruits" to "we are going to be the Kansas of the B1G". Dream big!

15 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Haha man, you're cracking me up. From "we won't get any of the recruits" to "we are going to be the Kansas of the B1G". Dream big!

Right! I know I sound crazy but it really could be that black and white. I have such a love/hate relationship with CBB. 350 teams + 1 champion...that's a stupid game and that's soooo many teams. You have to do something extraordinary to even have a whiff of it....aka have extraordinary talent. It's not like good teams are sharing equal chances at it either. It's the same f'ing teams going into every season with a 10-1 shot meanwhile we've been locked into a vicious cycle of mediocrity for 25 years that's almost impossible to get out of it. The entire big 10 is trapped in it. MSU puts up a fight but they have to beat three teams more talented than they are in succession to win a title and the final game they're always pretty outclassed. Hey look at that...final fours but always the bridesmaid! We've got a chance to dominate the trail and join that group of 10-1 and honestly I really do believe it's boom or bust. I call being a 3 seed every few years a bust. Sean Miller can't even make a final four as a 1 seed seemingly every year. Bringing in guys like Johnson, Green, Davis is the best way to trap yourself in the top 15-25 range. Sure, we win a good amount of games and can beat anyone at home but that isn't ever going to put up a banner. Tell me the last time a 4 or 5 seed won? Want a banner. Dominate recruiting. We're got that chance now. 

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Right! I know I sound crazy but it really could be that black and white. I have such a love/hate relationship with CBB. 350 teams + 1 champion...that's a stupid game and that's soooo many teams. You have to do something extraordinary to even have a whiff of it....aka have extraordinary talent. It's not like good teams are sharing equal chances at it either. It's the same f'ing teams going into every season with a 10-1 shot meanwhile we've been locked into a vicious cycle of mediocrity for 25 years that's almost impossible to get out of it. The entire big 10 is trapped in it. MSU puts up a fight but they have to beat three teams more talented than they are in succession to win a title and the final game they're always pretty outclassed. Hey look at that...final fours but always the bridesmaid! We've got a chance to dominate the trail and join that group of 10-1 and honestly I really do believe it's boom or bust. I call being a 3 seed every few years a bust. Sean Miller can't even make a final four as a 1 seed seemingly every year. Bringing in guys like Johnson, Green, Davis is the best way to trap yourself in the top 15-25 range. Sure, we win a good amount of games and can beat anyone at home but that isn't ever going to put up a banner. Tell me the last time a 4 or 5 seed won? Want a banner. Dominate recruiting. We're got that chance now. 

Just look at teams like Villanova and UW who has been as successful as anyone over the last decade.  They are built with 4 years players and don't have many 5 star players.  I fall you care about is the championship then most years you are going to be disappointed.   To me college basketball is about more than just winning the championship.  It is about watching players develop and your team develop over the years.  It is the instant gratification era we are in where people get way to impatient and want to win at any cost.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at teams like Villanova and UW who has been as successful as anyone over the last decade.  They are built with 4 years players and don't have many 5 star players.  I fall you care about is the championship then most years you are going to be disappointed.   To me college basketball is about more than just winning the championship.  It is about watching players develop and your team develop over the years.  It is the instant gratification era we are in where people get way to impatient and want to win at any cost.

I see the point you're making but I think you're cherry picking in a major way here. Nova had a fairly talented squad with a 5 and a few fours, clicked, were major underdogs, and hit a miracle three. They we're also the rare outlier  (that is obviously possible....but very rare). Wisconsin is the absolute antithesis of what I'd like us to become. Why would you ever want to consistently fall short and have everrryone know your're going too along the way. I do agree that they had great success but it took Ryan 30 years to build one maybe two title winning teams with his annoying underclassmen don't play style.

It is more that just about winning a championship and what makes you think that what I'm asking for excludes players and teams from developing or that I'm against that? I'm simply asking for talent and lots of it. That's all. You can have loads of talent and also develop also. 

17 hours ago, KDB said:

Anybody have word on how their visit's have gone this weekend? I'm really curious to see how Romeo's KU visit is going.

I searched the internet this morning but couldn’t find anything regarding his Kansas visit.  I did find something interesting though when I clicked on a tweet that took me to Romeo’s page.  On the 25th, people were tweeting him happy birthday, and some of them were including phrases like “you’ll look good in candy stripes next year” and “IU’s future”, and he was retweeting those tweets.  Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but I thought it was interesting he would be retweeting those tweets

10 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I searched the internet this morning but couldn’t find anything regarding his Kansas visit.  I did find something interesting though when I clicked on a tweet that took me to Romeo’s page.  On the 25th, people were tweeting him happy birthday, and some of them were including phrases like “you’ll look good in candy stripes next year” and “IU’s future”, and he was retweeting those tweets.  Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but I thought it was interesting he would be retweeting those tweets

Definitely not the same as when Romeo and Darius visited IU for HH.  Been searching the Kansas and UCLA.... and basically nothing.... except one story on one of the UCLA fanboards by the publisher.  Before the visits, saying that Romeo and Davis were pretty much locks for IU after their IU visits.  And then the thread devolved into what a bad fanbase UCLA is now for basketball. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Vandy  is a real player in this for Garland,it’s going to come down to the wire,sounds like it’s 50/50 with IU...oh ,and Nashville isn’t to far away from New Albany either.

What are you trying to say with your line, "and Nashville isn't too far away from New Albany either." ... You think Vandy a serious contender for Romeo?

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Neither is going to Vandy.  Doesn’t make sense. I think Vandy was just a courtesy visit by the Garlands. 

Neither may end up there,but I think they are more involved then what we think...were dealing with 18 year old kids...remember the story mile told about Jared Jeffries 

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Neither may end up there,but I think they are more involved then what we think...were dealing with 18 year old kids...remember the story mile told about Jared Jeffries 

While I do think us and Vandy are most likely neck and neck for Garland, I think there is no way that Romeo ends up a Commodore.

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Vandy so I'm interested in knowing what the attraction is there for top recruits. Geographically, I understand the attraction for the Garland family, although I don't see that as a strong edge like it would be if IU was clear across the country from him.  Both programs have likable young coaches who played at the guard position. I think IU wins on facilities, fanbase, TV exposure, historical program success and the quality of league competition. Vandy may win on the quality of education, but to two young men unlikely to stay past two years at the most, I doubt that plays much of a factor.  If there's a big factor that swings most recruits toward Vandy vs. IU, I'd love to hear it.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Vandy so I'm interested in knowing what the attraction is there for top recruits. Geographically, I understand the attraction for the Garland family, although I don't see that as a strong edge like it would be if IU was clear across the country from him.  Both programs have likable young coaches who played at the guard position. I think IU wins on facilities, fanbase, TV exposure, historical program success and the quality of league competition. Vandy may win on the quality of education, but to two young men unlikely to stay past two years at the most, I doubt that plays much of a factor.  If there's a big factor that swings most recruits toward Vandy vs. IU, I'd love to hear it.

Garland's father has ties with Coach Drew apparently, and the other thing we know that attracts Garland is that it's the hometown team. 

Can't tell you why other big time recruits are interested in Vandy. Simisola Shittu is a 5 star who's likely to end up there, he's from Nashville. It seems that their "Hometown Hero" pitch is really hitting homeruns.

Archived