Roy Hibbert, De'ron Davis and the problem for old school bigs...

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not many guys shoot 60% on post-ups. It's borderline unheard of. 

I can look at how the game was actually played. Teams back in the golden age of Ronald Reagan, Trickle Down Economics and Larry Bird couldn't actually score at all three levels. They really couldn't score from three very well at all. 

Teams today can score at the rim and from three, they just score at the rim differently. 

Because they did not use it like they do today but if Bird shot the volume of 3's as they do today then he would have been effective shooting it.  Also one thing people forget about going inside is that you will draw more fouls and get to the line. Free throws should be the most effective shot on the floor and the more you get there the better you should be.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basketball has evolved into what baseball always cherished.  In baseball they call certain guys "5-tool" players.  Basically.....hit for power, hit for average, run fast, play good defense, and have a strong throwing arm.  

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did somebody say HSN shooting contest? I'm lacing up my sneakers as we speak and it's about to rain buckets! 

I would be in if it was 15 years ago but the extra 40 pounds and knee surgery has ruined my game.  When I was able to play 3 times a week I was pretty good at one thing and that was shooting the ball but that is even gone since I can't play competitive games any longer.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a guy who was only 5'8 and could shoot the ball I love seeing great shooters but sometimes I think teams being so reliant of the 3 has hurt the game a little bit.  It seems like it has made the game less diverse where most teams play the same style.  I miss seeing guys who could score in the post or see guys shoot that 15 foot baseline shot.  IU has had some very good baseline shooters like Henderson, Cheaney and Anderson and that part of the game is totally wiped out with this style of offense.

I think they need to expand the size of the court and move the three pointer back.  We already have players shooting 5 feet behind the line consistently.  By moving the line and expanding the size of the floor, you then would have a better balance of low-post and mid-range back in the mix.  The game now is all pick and rolls, pick and pops, and isolation plays.

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

To your point about the training and conditioning, I have no doubt that if Kevin McHale came up in this era (with the training and being taught the perimeter game, etc.) he’d be every bit as good as a guy like Chris Bosh or Kevin Love. He’s not as athletic as Bosh clearly, but his offensive moves are better than both. 

Exactly. I think he would have been an awesome shooter in todays game if that is something he put more of a focus on. He already was a very good shooter.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had a guy one time try and call a charge in a pick up game.. smh

I was the guy that would draw charges in pick up games, lol. Wouldn't call them though. Just playing defense. What would get me was when someone would drive into my chest, blatantly create contact and then call for a foul. I didn't mind the football playing mindset but don't think it deserves an "and 1"

Wish I had my current weight on my skinny frame of 25 years ago! Or my conditioning back then today!

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was the guy that would draw charges in pick up games, lol. Wouldn't call them though. Just playing defense. What would get me was when someone would drive into my chest, blatantly create contact and then call for a foul. I didn't mind the football playing mindset but don't think it deserves an "and 1"

Wish I had my current weight on my skinny frame of 25 years ago! Or my conditioning back then today!

My rule in pick-up is that I always call a foul when I commit it, and I never call a foul when someone fouls me. If the defender isn't going to admit he got me, then so be it, but I can't stand the guys constantly calling for fouls every time they shoot. I've always just gone by the honor system so to speak, if you foul someone call it. 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I can understand that. I coach a 6th grade aau team.. one of my guys yelled "and 1" after he made a layup and absorbed some weak contact... his a** sat for the remainder of the half. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My rule in pick-up is that I always call a foul when I commit it, and I never call a foul when someone fouls me. If the defender isn't going to admit he got me, then so be it, but I can't stand the guys constantly calling for fouls every time they shoot. I've always just gone by the honor system so to speak, if you foul someone call it. 

Word. Way more enjoyable

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That would work until you ran into someone (usually on the losing team without much basketball experience) that would never call a foul on there own. Being 6'5" I was always inside - being fouled. 

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

That would work until you ran into someone (usually on the losing team without much basketball experience) that would never call a foul on there own. Being 6'5" I was always inside - being fouled. 

Yeah, I'm 6'6" so have definitely experienced what you're talking about it. I just use guys like that to fire me up even more and go at them that much harder. I also usually find that there teammates will step in and call it. It usually works itself out. 

When I was younger me and some friends would play 2 on 2 and play to 120.  We would play 2's and 3's and we would actually shoot free throws as well.  We would have the defense call the fouls and it would get very physical especially at the end of the game. One summer we would play every day and played the best of 7 series and I was able to get in great shape that summer.

Archived