Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
KoB2011

Roy Hibbert, De'ron Davis and the problem for old school bigs...

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not many guys shoot 60% on post-ups. It's borderline unheard of. 

I can look at how the game was actually played. Teams back in the golden age of Ronald Reagan, Trickle Down Economics and Larry Bird couldn't actually score at all three levels. They really couldn't score from three very well at all. 

Teams today can score at the rim and from three, they just score at the rim differently. 

Because they did not use it like they do today but if Bird shot the volume of 3's as they do today then he would have been effective shooting it.  Also one thing people forget about going inside is that you will draw more fouls and get to the line. Free throws should be the most effective shot on the floor and the more you get there the better you should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I would love to get a shooting contest or pick-up game together! Hope you and @btownqb enjoy ice skating! 

Yeah, I'm not trying to play defense...I will back you down and throw a Kevin McHale-esque up and under on you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basketball has evolved into what baseball always cherished.  In baseball they call certain guys "5-tool" players.  Basically.....hit for power, hit for average, run fast, play good defense, and have a strong throwing arm.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did somebody say HSN shooting contest? I'm lacing up my sneakers as we speak and it's about to rain buckets! 

I would be in if it was 15 years ago but the extra 40 pounds and knee surgery has ruined my game.  When I was able to play 3 times a week I was pretty good at one thing and that was shooting the ball but that is even gone since I can't play competitive games any longer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would love to get a shooting contest or pick-up game together! Hope you and @btownqb enjoy ice skating! 

I do not partake in skating lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to play defense...I will back you down and throw a Kevin McHale-esque up and under on you. 

I would foul the bejesus out of you on my way down after you pump faked me lol

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a guy who was only 5'8 and could shoot the ball I love seeing great shooters but sometimes I think teams being so reliant of the 3 has hurt the game a little bit.  It seems like it has made the game less diverse where most teams play the same style.  I miss seeing guys who could score in the post or see guys shoot that 15 foot baseline shot.  IU has had some very good baseline shooters like Henderson, Cheaney and Anderson and that part of the game is totally wiped out with this style of offense.

I think they need to expand the size of the court and move the three pointer back.  We already have players shooting 5 feet behind the line consistently.  By moving the line and expanding the size of the floor, you then would have a better balance of low-post and mid-range back in the mix.  The game now is all pick and rolls, pick and pops, and isolation plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BGleas said:

To your point about the training and conditioning, I have no doubt that if Kevin McHale came up in this era (with the training and being taught the perimeter game, etc.) he’d be every bit as good as a guy like Chris Bosh or Kevin Love. He’s not as athletic as Bosh clearly, but his offensive moves are better than both. 

Exactly. I think he would have been an awesome shooter in todays game if that is something he put more of a focus on. He already was a very good shooter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would foul the bejesus out of you on my way down after you pump faked me lol

You don't want to put me on the line...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did somebody say HSN shooting contest? I'm lacing up my sneakers as we speak and it's about to rain buckets! 

Blue is ready to challenge you. He warmed up on Alan Houston.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to play defense...I will back you down and throw a Kevin McHale-esque up and under on you. 

As a former hockey player, I'm now getting interested....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't want to put me on the line...

There are no FTs in pick up games!!! Lol 

You're taking that ball at the top and we're starting all over again! Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, btownqb said:

There are no FTs in pick up games!!! Lol 

You're taking that ball at the top and we're starting all over again! Haha

You're right, good point. No free throws, no charges, check it up and play again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're right, good point. No free throws, no charges, check it up and play again.

Had a guy one time try and call a charge in a pick up game.. smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had a guy one time try and call a charge in a pick up game.. smh

Such a weak move. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had a guy one time try and call a charge in a pick up game.. smh

I was the guy that would draw charges in pick up games, lol. Wouldn't call them though. Just playing defense. What would get me was when someone would drive into my chest, blatantly create contact and then call for a foul. I didn't mind the football playing mindset but don't think it deserves an "and 1"

Wish I had my current weight on my skinny frame of 25 years ago! Or my conditioning back then today!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was the guy that would draw charges in pick up games, lol. Wouldn't call them though. Just playing defense. What would get me was when someone would drive into my chest, blatantly create contact and then call for a foul. I didn't mind the football playing mindset but don't think it deserves an "and 1"

Wish I had my current weight on my skinny frame of 25 years ago! Or my conditioning back then today!

My rule in pick-up is that I always call a foul when I commit it, and I never call a foul when someone fouls me. If the defender isn't going to admit he got me, then so be it, but I can't stand the guys constantly calling for fouls every time they shoot. I've always just gone by the honor system so to speak, if you foul someone call it. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was the guy that would draw charges in pick up games, lol. Wouldn't call them though. Just playing defense. What would get me was when someone would drive into my chest, blatantly create contact and then call for a foul. I didn't mind the football playing mindset but don't think it deserves an "and 1"

Wish I had my current weight on my skinny frame of 25 years ago! Or my conditioning back then today!

I can understand that. I coach a 6th grade aau team.. one of my guys yelled "and 1" after he made a layup and absorbed some weak contact... his a** sat for the remainder of the half. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My rule in pick-up is that I always call a foul when I commit it, and I never call a foul when someone fouls me. If the defender isn't going to admit he got me, then so be it, but I can't stand the guys constantly calling for fouls every time they shoot. I've always just gone by the honor system so to speak, if you foul someone call it. 

Word. Way more enjoyable

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My rule in pick-up is that I always call a foul when I commit it, and I never call a foul when someone fouls me. If the defender isn't going to admit he got me, then so be it, but I can't stand the guys constantly calling for fouls every time they shoot. I've always just gone by the honor system so to speak, if you foul someone call it. 

That would work until you ran into someone (usually on the losing team without much basketball experience) that would never call a foul on there own. Being 6'5" I was always inside - being fouled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

That would work until you ran into someone (usually on the losing team without much basketball experience) that would never call a foul on there own. Being 6'5" I was always inside - being fouled. 

Yeah, I'm 6'6" so have definitely experienced what you're talking about it. I just use guys like that to fire me up even more and go at them that much harder. I also usually find that there teammates will step in and call it. It usually works itself out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I do not partake in skating lol

Then you better not guard me, bro. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't want to put me on the line...

Found some old film of you. 

 

deandre jordan GIF

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was younger me and some friends would play 2 on 2 and play to 120.  We would play 2's and 3's and we would actually shoot free throws as well.  We would have the defense call the fouls and it would get very physical especially at the end of the game. One summer we would play every day and played the best of 7 series and I was able to get in great shape that summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×