Roy Hibbert, De'ron Davis and the problem for old school bigs...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you for the like IU Scott.  Very much appreciated.  Coming from you, makes it all that better. 

yeah I just can't get into the NBA especially after the Pacers got eliminated.  I just enjoy the atmosphere of the college game and how the game is played in the college game.  My only problem it seems like they are trying to make the college game to much like the NBA.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

^^^ Good Stuff '03.  And think of this.  Most of those guys are getting Zillions of dollars to put that "Stuff" on the court.

Give me the college game, every day.... and twice on Sundays. 

Your post got me thinking.  When was the last time a major college program played twice in the same day?  High schools do it all the time in tournaments.  But, I can't recall the last time I heard of it happening in college.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Your post got me thinking.  When was the last time a major college program played twice in the same day?  High schools do it all the time in tournaments.  But, I can't recall the last time I heard of it happening in college.

I would think a team that played in Maui or a conference tournament might have played  late game that ended up after midnight and played the again later that evening but can't remember hearing of having two schedule game sin the same day.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would think a team that played in Maui or a conference tournament might have played  late game that ended up after midnight and played the again later that evening but can't remember hearing of having two schedule game sin the same day.

Possibly, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm thinking more of the morning / evening scheduled variety.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Really good question. That I don't have an answer to.  I do recall high school teams playing day and night games in the one class Indiana tournament. So I would have to say that IU Scott may have the answer to your question about college basketball teams playing two games in one day.  Having said that, I know you understand, that my comment was more about my preferring the college game to the NBA, than actually playing two games in one day.  Still... a good question on your part, that got me scratching my head for an answer. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Possibly, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm thinking more of the morning / evening scheduled variety.

Not that combination but my guess on memory would be 2009 Syracuse 6 overtime game in Big East tourney that ended I believe at like 2am. They played same day at 6 or 7pm beating West Virginia??

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

yeah I just can't get into the NBA especially after the Pacers got eliminated.  I just enjoy the atmosphere of the college game and how the game is played in the college game.  My only problem it seems like they are trying to make the college game to much like the NBA.

It's almost like the guys who get paid a lot of money to win games think that's the best way to play...

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's almost like the guys who get paid a lot of money to win games think that's the best way to play...

It just is a personal preference in what you like watching.  If you enjoy the NBA that is great but why do NBA fans get upset when people say they don't enjoy the NBA.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just is a personal preference in what you like watching.  If you enjoy the NBA that is great but why do NBA fans get upset when people say they don't enjoy the NBA.

Great question.  I love watching reruns of House of Cards, and Breaking Bad.  My wife refuses to watch.  Yet I don't get mad at her over that.  You stated it correctly, IMHO.... "just a personal preference."

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’d never get upset if somebody says they don’t watch the NBA. To each their own.

But I will call somebody out who makes statements like I don’t watch the NBA because: ‘NBA players are lazy’, ‘they don’t know how to play defense’, ‘they don’t know how to play as a team’, ‘the players in the 80s are better than the players are today because they learned the game the right way’, etc. 

If said person admittedly doesn’t watch NBA then how do they know their blanket statements to be true? 

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’d never get upset if somebody says they don’t watch the NBA. To each their own.

But I will call somebody out who makes statements like I don’t watch the NBA because: ‘NBA players are lazy’, ‘they don’t know how to play defense’, ‘they don’t know how to play as a team’, ‘the players in the 80s are better than the players are today because they learned the game the right way’, etc. 

If said person admittedly doesn’t watch NBA then how do they know their blanket statements to be true? 

This! I was going to reply with the same exact thing. Don’t like the NBA? Completely fine with me. But, don’t give a reason that’s a complete misconception and not really accurate of the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This! I was going to reply with the same exact thing. Don’t like the NBA? Completely fine with me. But, don’t give a reason that’s a complete misconception and not really accurate of the NBA. 

Things that you find true does not mean others can't see it another way so it is not a misconception to them.  Like I said it just depends on why style of basketball you enjoy and each person can have their own reason as to why.  What you find as great defense or what you don't find lazy another could just see it another way.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Things that you find true does not mean others can't see it another way so it is not a misconception to them.  Like I said it just depends on why style of basketball you enjoy and each person can have their own reason as to why.  What you find as great defense or what you don't find lazy another could just see it another way.

Depends on what the “thing” is. If you enjoy the 80’s NBA more, that’s your opinion of course. If you enjoy the pageantry of college basketball more, that’s your opinion and I get that. But I won’t let someone say the NBA doesn’t play defense or NBA players are lazy and not respond to that, because it’s not true. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Depends on what the “thing” is. If you enjoy the 80’s NBA more, that’s your opinion of course. If you enjoy the pageantry of college basketball more, that’s your opinion and I get that. But I won’t let someone say the NBA doesn’t play defense or NBA players are lazy and not respond to that, because it’s not true. 

Let's take Labron for example you probably would not call him lazy but I have seen plays or games where he was lazy.  I was at 3 of the playoffs and the Cavs was going toward my end during the second half.  Late in the game with the score tied Labron drove the lane and thought he was fouled.  he stayed on the other end to argue with the ref and the Pacers had a brake away and got a 3 in the corner from the guy Labron was supposed to guard.  I remember the Mavs series where he pretty much quit so I see one thing and you might not see it that way.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's take Labron for example you probably would not call him lazy but I have seen plays or games where he was lazy.  I was at 3 of the playoffs and the Cavs was going toward my end during the second half.  Late in the game with the score tied Labron drove the lane and thought he was fouled.  he stayed on the other end to argue with the ref and the Pacers had a brake away and got a 3 in the corner from the guy Labron was supposed to guard.  I remember the Mavs series where he pretty much quit so I see one thing and you might not see it that way.

Let’s not act like lapses like that don’t happen in college. 

Last post on this. In regards to 'lazy', let's remember the NBA's regular season is 82 games that are 48 minutes each. College has around 30 games that are 40 minutes each. It's like comparing a 10k to a marathon. When you are watching a marathon you don't ask: why is the runner not sprinting on mile number 5?

So a fair argument would be something like: I'd like to see the NBA shorten their season so I could watch the players play more intensely on the defensive end. NOT all NBA players play lazy defense. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Let’s not act like lapses like that don’t happen in college. 

Last post on this. In regards to 'lazy', let's remember the NBA's regular season is 82 games that are 48 minutes each. College has around 30 games that are 40 minutes each. It's like comparing a 10k to a marathon. When you are watching a marathon you don't ask: why is the runner not sprinting on mile number 5?

So a fair argument would be something like: I'd like to see the NBA shorten their season so I could watch the players play more intensely on the defensive end. NOT all NBA players play lazy defense. 

I totally agree with that last paragraph because the year where they played 50 games because of the strike was a good regular season.  There are to many games in the regular season where teams just don't show up because of to many games and travel in a short period of time.  I also think my attitude goes back when I was a kid because I don't think of May and June as basketball season.  When I was a kid this time of the year was for baseball and that was what I was doing at this time of year.

Archived