Hunter Johnson, 2016 Indiana Mr. Football to Transfer

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/21/clemson-qb-hunter-johnson-transfer/628437002/

Color me not surprised. You would think this (along with Peters-UM/Stevens-PSU) would teach Indiana kids to stop going to these programs just to get recruited over but the list continues to grow. I wonder if we can get him this time around? I'm hearing Purdue is in the driver seat sadly. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/21/clemson-qb-hunter-johnson-transfer/628437002/

Color me not surprised. You would think this (along with Peters-UM/Stevens-PSU) would teach Indiana kids to stop going to these programs just to get recruited over but the list continues to grow. I wonder if we can get him this time around? I'm hearing Purdue is in the driver seat sadly. 

Would love to land him. 

IU has a shot here.

Debord and Sheridan recruited him at Tennessee as well before coming to Indiana. Hunter actually was committed to Tennessee before flipping to Clemson. 

The Hoosiers at the moment have as good a chance as anyone.. 

43 minutes ago, KDB said:

IU has a shot here.

Debord and Sheridan recruited him at Tennessee as well before coming to Indiana. Hunter actually was committed to Tennessee before flipping to Clemson. 

Don’t know if I’d say they have as good of a shot as anyone. I think Purdue and Northwestern are the favorites. 

If I was a decent QB, I'd have a hard time going to one of the top tier programs.  Even if you're elite, the timing not work out right for you and you might get stuck behind an elite guy a year ahead of you.  Or they might bring in the next Peyton Manning in the next class.  Going to a mid to low Power 5 school or even lower, there's a good chance that you'll be the man.

The QB spot is unique because for a lot of teams, there's only 1 guy a year who gets significant playing time.  If you're the backup, you might not even touch the field.  Other positions, you can either be moved around or get a lot of playing time as a backup and still get a lot of playing time.

I think that shows up looking at this year's draft class.  The first site I chose has top the QBs from USC, Washington, Oklahoma, UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Washington State, Richmond, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Virginia, Toledo, etc.  There are a couple top programs in there, but for the most part, they are guys from lesser programs.

It gives me hope that Allen will be able to bring in a high 4 or even 5 star QB sometime in the next few years.  Even if he keeps getting good grad transfers or a transfer like Johnson I'd be stoked.  So far recruits have been buying what he's been selling, so I think the QB spot is his best chance to make a splash.

4 hours ago, KDB said:

IU has a shot here.

I sure hope so. He’s gonna be a big time talent. 

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If I was a decent QB, I'd have a hard time going to one of the top tier programs.  Even if you're elite, the timing not work out right for you and you might get stuck behind an elite guy a year ahead of you.  Or they might bring in the next Peyton Manning in the next class.  Going to a mid to low Power 5 school or even lower, there's a good chance that you'll be the man.

The QB spot is unique because for a lot of teams, there's only 1 guy a year who gets significant playing time.  If you're the backup, you might not even touch the field.  Other positions, you can either be moved around or get a lot of playing time as a backup and still get a lot of playing time.

I think that shows up looking at this year's draft class.  The first site I chose has top the QBs from USC, Washington, Oklahoma, UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Washington State, Richmond, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Virginia, Toledo, etc.  There are a couple top programs in there, but for the most part, they are guys from lesser programs.

It gives me hope that Allen will be able to bring in a high 4 or even 5 star QB sometime in the next few years.  Even if he keeps getting good grad transfers or a transfer like Johnson I'd be stoked.  So far recruits have been buying what he's been selling, so I think the QB spot is his best chance to make a splash.

Good post.

The landscape has changed for sure.  The kids today want to go somewhere where they can play right away.  And for sure it doesn't work at the QB position in most cases.  And there is the fact that they get recruited over at these top tier schools.  

Under 30 minutes ago, Matt Weaver published an article on Peegs that the Hoosiers were expected to be in the mix for Johnson.

Before committing to Clemson in 2016, Johnson committed to Tennessee when current Indiana offensive coordinator Mike Debord and QB's coach Nick Sheridan were on the UT staff. 

Weaver says sources tell Peegs that Johnson has developed a very good relationship with the two coaches, and that is one factor working in IU's favor.

Another positive for the Hoosiers listed in the piece is that Indiana strength and conditioning coach David Ballou was the strength coach at Avon HS when Johnson's older brother Cole played for the Orioles. The family reportedly thinks highly of Coach Ballou and the job he did working with their son.

A head coach at an Indiana high school also informed Weaver that Indiana is expected to be squarely in the mix for Johnson whenever he decides to make a decision.

20 minutes ago, KDB said:

Under 30 minutes ago, Matt Weaver published an article on Peegs that the Hoosiers were expected to be in the mix for Johnson.

Before committing to Clemson in 2016, Johnson committed to Tennessee when current Indiana offensive coordinator Mike Debord and QB's coach Nick Sheridan were on the UT staff. 

Weaver says sources tell Peegs that Johnson has developed a very good relationship with the two coaches, and that is one factor working in IU's favor.

Another positive for the Hoosiers listed in the piece is that Indiana strength and conditioning coach David Ballou was the strength coach at Avon HS when Johnson's older brother Cole played for the Orioles. The family reportedly thinks highly of Coach Ballou and the job he did working with their son.

A head coach at an Indiana high school also informed Weaver that Indiana is expected to be squarely in the mix for Johnson whenever he decides to make a decision.

Forgot all about Ballou.. remember that Johnson was at Avon until before his FR year... and would have attended Avon if it weren't for Brandon Peters. I don't doubt the family thinks highly of Ballou because quite honestly everyone I've met thinks highly of him. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Personally I don't see him wanting to compete with ES his SR year at Purdue. I think when Hunter decides on a school he will want to be the clear cut favorite as the QB his RS SO. Just my opinion. 

It’s certainly possible. Sindelar will likely be one of the best QB’s in the B1G his senior year I’d imagine. 

19 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

Purdue and IU I think are the favs. Maybe Northwestern is included but the people saying Northwestern and Purdue are his leaders are getting ahead of themselves. IU at this point has just as good of a chance IMO

I think it's too early to tell the favorites. I agree with btown that Purdue with Sindelar could possibly be a bad fit as obviously Johnson will want to play right away as a RS Soph. I could see him wait to watch this season play out and see who emerges as the top QB's in the bigten and surrounding area teams. Don't count out Notre Dame who was in his list of finalists when he picked Clemson. I'm sure they will go after him hard. I do think IU is the best chance to start right away and still play on a quality BigTen team. 

Admittedly I don't follow IU football recruiting as much as hoops. For those that do...what's the feeling around the state regarding IU/new facilities/staff,etc....I always get tired of seeing top Indy area talents head elsewhere to "football schools" but it seems like plenty end up transferring. 

Talent is talent and I'll always take a chance on talent in football but wish some of these kids would realize what they have around here before going to a school, getting over recruited, deciding to transfer, sit out a year...almost 2 years and 4 months from high school graduation before they actually see the field when they choose poorly.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:35 PM, Leathernecks said:

If you want to make it to the next level definitely increase your chance by going to a second tier program like a Wyoming or NC type situation. I have said that for the last few years, tried to send my son that direction but he wanted Big Ten, but the halls are littered with big ten qb’s passed over for lesser school qbs because they had superior stats against inferior opponents. It is a paradox that is impacting the quality of qbs in the nfl. The old school rule, going with the guy who competed against the best, has been forgotten and you are seeing the nfl qbs that are not quite as good as the legends of the past who did come from top tier programs...mostly. And on the other side, if you insist on being at a big time program as a qb, you need to be in a system program where they have a past history and a marketing machine. Some of these schools spend a great deal of money marketing their players because it helps recruiting. At IU’s pro day they spent money on a rope and did nothing to hype the ordeal whereas you see schools like LSU and other big programs making their pro day more like a paid ticket event and even had real bleachers brought in. It is all about the packaging these days.

39 minutes ago, Payday said:

If you want to make it to the next level definitely increase your chance by going to a second tier program like a Wyoming or NC type situation. I have said that for the last few years, tried to send my son that direction but he wanted Big Ten, but the halls are littered with big ten qb’s passed over for lesser school qbs because they had superior stats against inferior opponents. It is a paradox that is impacting the quality of qbs in the nfl. The old school rule, going with the guy who competed against the best, has been forgotten and you are seeing the nfl qbs that are not quite as good as the legends of the past who did come from top tier programs...mostly. And on the other side, if you insist on being at a big time program as a qb, you need to be in a system program where they have a past history and a marketing machine. Some of these schools spend a great deal of money marketing their players because it helps recruiting. At IU’s pro day they spent money on a rope and did nothing to hype the ordeal whereas you see schools like LSU and other big programs making their pro day more like a paid ticket event and even had real bleachers brought in. It is all about the packaging these days.

It depends on what your definition of "top tier" is.  John Elway(Stanford).  Dan Marino(Pitt).  Troy Aikman(UCLA).  Steve Young(BYU).  

3 hours ago, rico said:

It depends on what your definition of "top tier" is.  John Elway(Stanford).  Dan Marino(Pitt).  Troy Aikman(UCLA).  Steve Young(BYU).  

3 hours ago, rico said:

If you look back I think you will see that all those schools had a strong qb type system in place . Obvious there are exception to everything.

Archived