If you've ever owned a pet.....

This is from a few years back, but was featured as part of Peter King's last MMQB column this week. I have lost several dogs too soon and have a golden that could have been Bailey. I don't know why, but this story affected me greatly, and the thought of losing my pal Dexter just is tearing me up.

I hope all of you have had the privilege of calling a pet a part of your family. The unconditional love of a great family dog is something that everyone should have experienced at least once in their lives.

https://www.si.com/2013/11/11/detroit-lions-carolina-panthers-monday-morning-quarterback#bailey

I grew up with an American Cocker Spaniel. Loved that dog. I now have a Frenchton and she is the best dog ever and I will be devastated when she passes. That brings up another question that my wife and I have discussed. Would you ever clone your pet? Like Barbara Streisand who cloned the same dog like five times and they were all alive at the same time. Personally I wouldn't, I think it would be weird to have the same dog running around that isn't really the same dog, but my wife totally would. It's not an ethical dilemma for me, I just think it would be weird.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2018 at 4:27 PM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I grew up with an American Cocker Spaniel. Loved that dog. I now have a Frenchton and she is the best dog ever and I will be devastated when she passes. That brings up another question that my wife and I have discussed. Would you ever clone your pet? Like Barbara Streisand who cloned the same dog like five times and they were all alive at the same time. Personally I wouldn't, I think it would be weird to have the same dog running around that isn't really the same dog, but my wife totally would. It's not an ethical dilemma for me, I just think it would be weird.

I couldn't. Sure, it would be the same genetics, but, without the same upbringing / conditioning / environment, clones would likely lead to disappointment.  Might get there, but it would be impossible to get the original, and I think at least sub-consciously, I would know that.

Edit:  I like dogs, but love cats.  When Virgil is no longer, it will sadden me greatly as he is more than family.  Giving up many sleepless nights, feeding the little guy every 2 hours for over a month using up my vacation after he was abandoned at 3 hours old....  lets just say the relationship is as close to father - son as I am going to get ( being 42 and childless ).

23 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I couldn't. Sure, it would be the same genetics, but, without the same upbringing / conditioning / environment, clones would likely lead to disappointment.  Might get there, but it would be impossible to get the original, and I think at least sub-consciously, I would know that.

Edit:  I like dogs, but love cats.  When Virgil is no longer, it will sadden me greatly as he is more than family.  Giving up many sleepless nights, feeding the little guy every 2 hours for over a month using up my vacation after he was abandoned at 3 hours old....  lets just say the relationship is as close to father - son as I am going to get ( being 42 and childless ).

We just did that with two cats. I've never been a cat person, but am a big fan of these two after participating in ther bottle feedings. 

Rescued a terrier pit on New Year's Eve last year. One of the best moves I've made. So much unconditional love and loyalty. He probably did more rescuing than we did. In terms of cats....just can't. Red eyes, can't breathe....very, very allergic. Get within 10 yards of one and it's over for me. But they are pets and all pets deserve a home. Not a fan of the cloning or breeders. So many sitting in shelters that would love a home even for a weekend. 

Archived