Archie Miller and Huber Winery

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Given the times others have taken to come back from similar injuries, I would be surprised to see De'Ron suiting up for our Hoosiers, this year.

The Denver Broncos had a line backer go down this past Tuesday, with the same injury as De'Ron. Waiting a few days before surgery, it's already been announced he will not be available for at least one year.

De'Ron went down on January 4th of this year.  Had surgery on January 10th.  Based on recovery time of others, as I say, is why I do not expect to see De'Ron on the court this year.  Could happen.... but then the question is.... will he actually be ready to compete ? 

Agree. Kind of why I think conference play (as it used to be) at the earliest. At some point I would think by August they'll have to see where things stand. I don't know the rules on redshirts (do they count towards scholarship numbers)...but if there's a likelihood he can't play perhaps another grad transfer could be in play? Or a reclassification?

Any player who requests and

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree. Kind of why I think conference play (as it used to be) at the earliest. At some point I would think by August they'll have to see where things stand. I don't know the rules on redshirts (do they count towards scholarship numbers)...but if there's a likelihood he can't play perhaps another grad transfer could be in play? Or a reclassification?

Any player who requests for and is granted a medical waiver, does count against the scholarship numbers.  Also there is a number of games a player can play in before being disqualified for a medical redshirt. Not sure how this would work in De'Ron's case, as he most definitely will be out for the start of the season.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Any player who requests and

Any player who requests for and is granted a medical waiver, does count against the scholarship numbers.  Also there is a number of games a player can play in before being disqualified for a medical redshirt. Not sure how this would work in De'Ron's case, as he most definitely will be out for the start of the season.

O that would be a sweet loop hole to play this year.  Let Deron come back slowly with a medical waiver this year.  Go ahead and give legs to what dd was hearing yesterday.  Maybe dad just wanted his son to have his moment.  

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

O that would be a sweet loop hole to play this year.  Let Deron come back slowly with a medical waiver this year.  Go ahead and give legs to what dd was hearing yesterday.  Maybe dad just wanted his son to have his moment.  

Davis would still count against the scholarship count with a medical redshirt. 

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting that. Just finished. I'll say it again. Archie is just a straight shooter. I know I appreciate it. We all like a little rah rah....but give it to me straight and he does that. Highlights for me was that Devonte has shot the ball as well as anyone according to coach. Even referenced JB Jr when he first got here. That's great to hear on DG. Of course Romeo....but he mentioned all in equal segments. Really highlighted Zach McRoberts too. 

Thanks again for posting Mile.

Listening to Archie’s comments to the fans and to the media didn’t make me feel too optimistic about Green.  Of course he’s going to put a positive spin on everything, as he should, but it sounds to me that Archie doesn’t feel like Green has the right mindset.  He made comments about Green “having to take his game a little more serious” and “ask himself how good do you really want to be and how much do you want to invest in yourself.”  I can remember him making similar statements during the season last year.

Not really what you want to hear about the prospective starting point guard on a conference contender.  On the other hand, he said that Phinisee is a true point guard who should come in and play an immediate role at a position of need, so that’s good.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Listening to Archie’s comments to the fans and to the media didn’t make me feel too optimistic about Green.  Of course he’s going to put a positive spin on everything, as he should, but it sounds to me that Archie doesn’t feel like Green has the right mindset.  He made comments about Green “having to take his game a little more serious” and “ask himself how good do you really want to be and how much do you want to invest in yourself.”  I can remember him making similar statements during the season last year.

Not really what you want to hear about the prospective starting point guard on a conference contender.  On the other hand, he said that Phinisee is a true point guard who should come in and play an immediate role at a position of need, so that’s good.

Archie said Green IS taking his game more seriously.

What's interesting, is that Green doesn't even need to improve at all from a skills standpoint. Green just needs to value the ball and make better decisions. 

Everyone should probably pump the brakes on Phinisee, as he is probably the 3rd best PG on the team coming in, behind Green and Durham. 

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Ah, yes.  The Barnstorming Tour.   Thanks for that.   Wow.... imagine that.....  17 tours that year. 

Really appreciate this Lizard. 

the Ft. Wayne chapter of the IU Alumni Club used to have a golf outing where some of the coaches would come up and play/speak. Sometimes we got Men's Basketball or Head Football coach, but oftentimes it was the assistants or head coaches of non-revenue producing sports. I don't believe the event is held anymore, and may have been a casualty of the move to stop holding these functions. 

As it stands, we see very little representation from Bloomington up here in N. Indiana from anyone associated with the Athletic Dept. 

10 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

What's interesting, is that Green doesn't even need to improve at all from a skills standpoint. Green just needs to value the ball and make better decisions. 

Everyone should probably pump the brakes on Phinisee, as he is probably the 3rd best PG on the team coming in, behind Green and Durham. 

Archie said that same thing about Green multiple times over the course of last season as well.  Of course he’s not going to come out and say “this kid just doesn’t get it,” but the fact that he keeps referencing Green having to change his mindset and work ethic doesn’t make me feel too optimistic.

Gotta say I’ll be a little disappointed if Phinisee isn’t a better PG than Durham next year.  Durham isn’t a PG.

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Archie said that same thing about Green multiple times over the course of last season as well.  Of course he’s not going to come out and say “this kid just doesn’t get it,” but the fact that he keeps referencing Green having to change his mindset and work ethic doesn’t make me feel too optimistic.

Gotta say I’ll be a little disappointed if Phinisee isn’t a better PG than Durham next year.  Durham isn’t a PG.

I think in the end...whether it be the end of the season, or end of career...RP is the better point guard. But he's a freshman, and the physicality of IU basketball and B1G is going to be tough for an undersized, non-elite athlete to adjust to. I think it's a tough enough adjustment for the elite athlete. I hope I am wrong, as none of this is a slight to RP. I just think we will see a mature game from Al, and given his size/length and experience in the system, it will be tough for RP to beat out AD in practice (if Archie plans to use Durham as a PG). As I mentioned a few weeks ago, in the last 6 games of the year, Durham was 11-18 from the field, 14-17 from the FT line and only had 4 turnovers.

59 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

That's the way I heard it regarding DG.....Guess I listened to a different video. 

6 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I think in the end...whether it be the end of the season, or end of career...RP is the better point guard. But he's a freshman, and the physicality of IU basketball and B1G is going to be tough for an undersized, non-elite athlete to adjust to. I think it's a tough enough adjustment for the elite athlete. I hope I am wrong, as none of this is a slight to RP. I just think we will see a mature game from Al, and given his size/length and experience in the system, it will be tough for RP to beat out AD in practice (if Archie plans to use Durham as a PG). As I mentioned a few weeks ago, in the last 6 games of the year, Durham was 11-18 from the field, 14-17 from the FT line and only had 4 turnovers.

3:4 assist to turnover ratio though, and scored 0 points in 2 of those 6 games.  My point is I don’t think Durham can really run the offense and make plays for others like you want your PG to do.  I think his ceiling is basically a combo guard who can come off the bench, play good defense, get to the line, and hopefully hit open threes (Archie mentioned he’s expecting Al to shoot much better next year, so hopefully that happens).  I’m hoping Phinisee can be more of a floor general and playmaker.

But you definitely have a point about the transition to the Big Ten being tough for freshmen.  No one really knows at this point, but I’m curious to see just how under-sized and athletic/not athletic Phinisee is.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the way I heard it regarding DG.....Guess I listened to a different video. 

Do you think Archie would say anything else at a summer fan event?  I don’t think he would keep bringing up Green “changing his mindset” if it wasn’t still an issue.

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, in the last 6 games of the year, Durham was 11-18 from the field, 14-17 from the FT line and only had 4 turnovers.

I don't know why people quit missing this point, Al Durham is a lot better than most of our fans are giving him credit for being.  He started great, hit a the freshman wall and then figured it out and was playing well at the end of the season.   He played a hell of a lot better than Nojel Eastern and Eastern thought he was a pro prospect.

11 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Davis would still count against the scholarship count with a medical redshirt. 

I'm talking about the medical waiver thing Mile found.  I have always thought what you are saying then got to thinking, when a team knows going into the season the player is already going to be out due to devastating long recovery, I think there is such a waiver.  I don't know.  Just going off of miles post ringing some bells.  

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know why people quit missing this point, Al Durham is a lot better than most of our fans are giving him credit for being.  He started great, hit a the freshman wall and then figured it out and was playing well at the end of the season.   He played a hell of a lot better than Nojel Eastern and Eastern thought he was a pro prospect.

If he can consistently hit the open 3 he'll definitely see minutes. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

I’ve said it before - I think Phinisee is our starting PG. Now whether he starts first game remains to be seen, but come conference play I think he is our guy 

Archie seems impressed by him, and called him a "true point guard" last night.  Romeo seems to think they'll play together a lot.  You can tell the kid has a head on his shoulders.  I like his chances, but I doubt he'll have the relatively seamless transition to college that Yogi had, for instance.  I keep remembering the first time I saw him play.  It was in the 2016 high school tourney and I tuned in to see that Romeo kid everyone was talking about, only to think that the point guard for McCutcheon was the  best player on the floor (during the first half).

Archived