Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
btownqb

2018 Season

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Doesn't really have anything to do with it. We had a FR QB year with no back up for him and an ungodly amount of injuries to our best 2 OL, 3 of our top 4 WRs, best RB, and best TE. 

Everyone fails to remember that. We played Michigan to an OT game, gave MSU all they wanted on the road for 4Qs, and blew a game at Maryland and people want to pretend it's on the OC. Dumb. 

Only time we could have been frustrated was the OT calls vs. Michigan  

We scored 20 points against Michigan, and that was partially because Harris set us up at the Michigan 20 on a punt return.  We had a stretch in the 2nd half with 5 straight 3 and outs, and the 6th possession might have been but we threw an interception.  We had 257 yards in regulation.  If that was our average for the year, we would have ranked 128 out of 130 teams in FCS.

Against MSU, we didn't score a touchdown.  252 total yards of offense.  We were kept in that game by the defense.

Defense and special teams lost us the Maryland game, so no issues there.

Nobody would argue that we had top level talent, but when you have deficiencies in personnel, coaching can help overcome them.  Debord did nothing to help with those issues.  If you don't have the players to make plays, you can't call an extremely bland and predictable offense like we did.

At Tennessee, this year's NFL Rookie of the Year was his backup running back.  I could have looked good calling plays with the talent on that team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We scored 20 points against Michigan, and that was partially because Harris set us up at the Michigan 20 on a punt return.  We had a stretch in the 2nd half with 5 straight 3 and outs, and the 6th possession might have been but we threw an interception.  We had 257 yards in regulation.  If that was our average for the year, we would have ranked 128 out of 130 teams in FCS.

Against MSU, we didn't score a touchdown.  252 total yards of offense.  We were kept in that game by the defense.

Defense and special teams lost us the Maryland game, so no issues there.

Nobody would argue that we had top level talent, but when you have deficiencies in personnel, coaching can help overcome them.  Debord did nothing to help with those issues.  If you don't have the players to make plays, you can't call an extremely bland and predictable offense like we did.

At Tennessee, this year's NFL Rookie of the Year was his backup running back.  I could have looked good calling plays with the talent on that team.

He was the backup until the kid in front of him transferred. Do you realize how good Jalen Hurd is/was that was in front of him? His safe play calling kept us in those games. 

Botton line.. Jimmy's and Joe's trump Xs and Os. Any coach knows that. 

When you have the players and injuries and QB situation we had last year YOU HAVE TO CALL THE GAME EXTEMELY SAFE. C'mon man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He was the backup until the kid in front of him transferred. Do you realize how good Jalen Hurd is/was that was in front of him? His safe play calling kept us in those games. 

Botton line.. Jimmy's and Joe's trump Xs and Os. Any coach knows that. 

When you have the players and injuries and QB situation we had last year YOU HAVE TO CALL THE GAME EXTEMELY SAFE. C'mon man. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

One thing I think we can agree on is being excited for the upcoming season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

One thing I think we can agree on is being excited for the upcoming season!

Stud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Stud. 

Sorry, I agree in that part. They had amazing talent. Just on Debord well have to agree to disagree.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He was the backup until the kid in front of him transferred. Do you realize how good Jalen Hurd is/was that was in front of him? His safe play calling kept us in those games. 

Botton line.. Jimmy's and Joe's trump Xs and Os. Any coach knows that. 

When you have the players and injuries and QB situation we had last year YOU HAVE TO CALL THE GAME EXTEMELY SAFE. C'mon man. 

Here’s my question to you: why do you have to call the game extremely safe? Brohm had a plethora of injuries and little to no depth and didn’t call it safe on offense for us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

We scored 20 points against Michigan, and that was partially because Harris set us up at the Michigan 20 on a punt return.  We had a stretch in the 2nd half with 5 straight 3 and outs, and the 6th possession might have been but we threw an interception.  We had 257 yards in regulation.  If that was our average for the year, we would have ranked 128 out of 130 teams in FCS.

Against MSU, we didn't score a touchdown.  252 total yards of offense.  We were kept in that game by the defense.

Defense and special teams lost us the Maryland game, so no issues there.

Nobody would argue that we had top level talent, but when you have deficiencies in personnel, coaching can help overcome them.  Debord did nothing to help with those issues.  If you don't have the players to make plays, you can't call an extremely bland and predictable offense like we did.

At Tennessee, this year's NFL Rookie of the Year was his backup running back.  I could have looked good calling plays with the talent on that team.

I agree 100 percent. Not saying Debord is terrible but we could do better at OC. He is to basic to me and needs to be more creative. He is Just old school I guess which is fine when you have unreal talent at Tennessee but at IU it's a much different story you need to find ways to be creative here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question to you: why do you have to call the game extremely safe? Brohm had a plethora of injuries and little to no depth and didn’t call it safe on offense for us. 

You had the same injuries as we did?? No. Also.. your backup was far more advanced. Also.. your defense wasn't nearly as good as ours (I realize you played better head to head, but that doesn't trump a whole season). Also.. we played a much higher quality of teams than you last year. 3 top 10 teams and Michigan st who was 10-3 and ranked 16th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

He was the backup until the kid in front of him transferred. Do you realize how good Jalen Hurd is/was that was in front of him? His safe play calling kept us in those games. 

Botton line.. Jimmy's and Joe's trump Xs and Os. Any coach knows that. 

When you have the players and injuries and QB situation we had last year YOU HAVE TO CALL THE GAME EXTEMELY SAFE. C'mon man. 

I understand what you are saying Btown but I still think there are spots were we could of been more creative to help move the chains. I don't think leathernecks is saying you need a flee flicker or double reverse every drive but there are ways to keep the defense on there heels a little more and help you move the chains and ultimately put points on the board. Debord was way to conservative\predictable and ultimately all the 3 and outs took a toll on our defense and we lost those close 4th quarter games. I'm all for giving him another shot with a healthy offense but I wasn't very impressed in year 1. Even with everyone injured there are ways to get creative that's why they make 6 figures. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You had the same injuries as we did?? No. Also.. your backup was far more advanced. Also.. your defense wasn't nearly as good as ours (I realize you played better head to head, but that doesn't trump a whole season). Also.. we played a much higher quality of teams than you last year. 3 top 10 teams and Michigan st who was 10-3 and ranked 16th. 

Purdue had a lot of injuries last year especially on offense. Multiple RB’s, starting LT, Blough for the end of the year, and probably more I’m forgetting. Even Sindelar with a torn ACL the last 4 games Brohm didn’t go conservative. 

Do you have the defensive stats for both IU and Purdue last year? I didn’t think they were too far apart but could be misremembering. 

Just pulled this up and it shows our strength of schedule was 33 and yours was 43. Your conference slate was harder but our non-conference blew yours out of the water. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

In this one, we’re only 5 spots different. 

http://warrennolan.com/football/2017/sos

So yeah your schedule was top heavy but overall wasn’t that different. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue had a lot of injuries last year especially on offense. Multiple RB’s, starting LT, Blough for the end of the year, and probably more I’m forgetting. Even Sindelar with a torn ACL the last 4 games Brohm didn’t go conservative. 

Do you have the defensive stats for both IU and Purdue last year? I didn’t think they were too far apart but could be misremembering. 

Just pulled this up and it shows our strength of schedule was 33 and yours was 43. Your conference slate was harder but our non-conference blew yours out of the water. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

In this one, we’re only 5 spots different. 

http://warrennolan.com/football/2017/sos

So yeah your schedule was top heavy but overall wasn’t that different. 

And against OSU, Wisky, MSU, UM, and PENN st you dont win with gimmicks. Debord gave us a chance. Congrats  on playing an overrated UL team out of conference. 

The injuries you mentioned are about the avg for a team. We literally had 1 WR, 1RB, No TEs, bottom 3 OL, and a FR weak armed QB. Lol 

 

Edited by btownqb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, btownqb said:

And against OSU, Wisky, MSU, UM, and PENN st you dont win with gimmicks. Debord gave us a chance. Congrats  on playing an overrated UL team out of conference. 

The injuries you mentioned are about the avg for a team. We literally had 1 WR, 1RB, No TEs, bottom 3 OL, and a FR weak armed QB. Lol 

 

When looking at the individual significance of many of those injuries with regards to individual potential impact on things like program history, it goes a bit deeper than how many injuries this or that team had.

Chances for pulling out just a couple more close games, but especially Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State where they showed extended stretches of dominance really took a hit. When a lot of folks talk reality the real impact often gets left out in the whole injuries happen to everyone  line. They certainly do, but everyone isn't on the wrong side of history the way IU has been for the most part. There's a totally different level of relative impact. IU and it's perception gains as much or more by pulling out wins in just one or two close games than most schools in  the entire country.  Indiana never saw it's 11 best football players play through so much as a season opener intact in any year you can name with a close call loss to a ranked opponent going back for several seasons. When you look at the average quality of player IU lost in terms of the margin between historic wins and losing stigma it isn't really debatable. Indiana is still on the short end of every long running B1G Football series it's in, and still looking at double digit game and year droughts against the two most notable B1G schools ever.Until that changes there really isn't an equal debate from another program about the potential impact of a single injury to a key player with the margins IU has turned in against that overall level of quality of team lately. Time and time again they've played either up or down to the level of the opposition, and that alone should keep things in perspective for Purdue fans if they too are keeping things real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

TD Roof is eligible this coming year. Huge news. 

I just saw that too.  Awesome news.

I love that we brought in 4 transfers who are eligible to play this year in Dawkins, Roof, Linder, and Samuels.  And all of them are at positions of need.  Can't wait for the season to get started!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm eternally optimistic at the beginning of each new football season, but I do expect this year's team to be better than last year's.  I think 7 wins is definitely achievable, maybe 8.  

The offense is, without a doubt, going to be better.  The line looks to be much improved, and we have a fairly solid depth chart at the running back position, which will take pressure off the passing game because really, we were much too one-dimensional last year.  With the QB options we have, I'd have to think we will be solid there as well.

DeBord needs to add some wrinkles, possibly play Dawkins with Ramsey for a few downs here and there (or more) and add some trick plays that we use once in a while.  I know there's been a lot of disagreement about him "playing it safe," but, honestly, what did we have to lose last year?  If we hadn't "played it safe" we would have had 0 extra losses, but maybe we pick up 2 or even 3 extra wins.  Wilson definitely understood that, though he did seem to get too conservative with his play-calling the last couple years of his tenure.  The only time "playing it safe" actually works is when you have better talent than everyone else and can afford to wear the other team down into the fourth quarter.  I'm not sure IU has ever had that luxury, at least in conference games.

Also, while I love watching the hurry-up offense, I don't think it pairs well with trying to be a defensive oriented team.

Regardless, IU continues to be an improved team.  We are talking about whether IU gets 5-7, maybe 8 wins, with a strong likelihood they are bowl eligible.  I remember when it was more likely that IU would win only 3 games, so, in my book, IU looks set to continue a slow march toward overall program improvement.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, btownqb said:

We really need to go back to 8 conf games

That or change the divisions as we have talked about in the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ONLY 16 more days until the First few Football games Kick Off !! August 25 ,2018 !( Mark it down )!! Be here before you know it !! Go Hoosiers !! BEAT FIU on September 1 , 2018 !! ( only 23 days  to wait ) !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×