Zeke Nnaji Cuts IU

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

I would say the modern blubloods (last 25 years) would be Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, and Michigan St. Those are the power players in college basketball (power 5 if you will). They also have the premier coaches in college basketball. It doesn’t offend me...we will soon be back to where we belong but us and UCLA while multi-national champions have lost our place at that tip top when it comes to conversation on the national scene. The right scenerio could easily put us right back there but it has to happen first. Archie will rectify it for us.

I agree with you that those teams are the basketball powers or modern bluebloods as you call it (I would add UConn and probably Villanova and maybe Florida to the mix) over the past 25 years, but when I think of blueblood it is about history more than recent success.

IU, UCLA, Kansas, fUK (unfortunately) are the true bluebloods in my book. That doesn't change regardless of lack of current or future success.Duke and UNC were the next additions to the list. UConn and Villanova are knocking on the door and I wouldn't argue against their inclusion.

I guess it really comes down to definition of blue blood.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I agree with you that those teams are the basketball powers or modern bluebloods as you call it (I would add UConn and probably Villanova and maybe Florida to the mix) over the past 25 years, but when I think of blueblood it is about history more than recent success.

IU, UCLA, Kansas, fUK (unfortunately) are the true bluebloods in my book. That doesn't change regardless of lack of current or future success.Duke and UNC were the next additions to the list. UConn and Villanova are knocking on the door and I wouldn't argue against their inclusion.

I guess it really comes down to definition of blue blood.

Oh yeah..no doubt blueblood is a term with large amount of interpretation. I agree with your accessment probably a list of the top 10 most successful basketball programs in NCAA history would have those programs. I think it just depends on your age....people around 40 or over would probably say IU, UCLA, UK, Kansas, UNC, DUKE...anyone younger would probably drop IU and UCLA and probably add Michigan St. and maybe UConn. Yeah...we could go on and on with this....fact is...it's hard to get too angry about being left off the list when basically none of these kids being talked about were even born the last time we were in a final 4 and perhaps many of their parents were too young to have even watched us win our last national championship or at least even care about the sport at that time. Let's be honest, we are basically Nebraska football...except it's been even longer. At some point you are no longer a blueblood if too much time passes. I mean you would probably consider Army and Penn football bluebloods going back 70-80 years ago. Or Arkansas 50-60...so with us if we get to the point where we haven't won a championship in 30 years we are getting dangerously close to losing our status with most people I'm afraid. We have a proud tradition...and I think we are close to getting it back...but I'm not going to hold it against someone if they aren't old enough to know our history....in this case though I would say this guy probably misspoke.

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh yeah..no doubt blueblood is a term with large amount of interpretation. I agree with your accessment probably a list of the top 10 most successful basketball programs in NCAA history would have those programs. I think it just depends on your age....people around 40 or over would probably say IU, UCLA, UK, Kansas, UNC, DUKE...anyone younger would probably drop IU and UCLA and probably add Michigan St. and maybe UConn. Yeah...we could go on and on with this....fact is...it's hard to get too angry about being left off the list when basically none of these kids being talked about were even born the last time we were in a final 4 and perhaps many of their parents were too young to have even watched us win our last national championship or at least even care about the sport at that time. Let's be honest, we are basically Nebraska football...except it's been even longer. At some point you are no longer a blueblood if too much time passes. I mean you would probably consider Army and Penn football bluebloods going back 70-80 years ago. Or Arkansas 50-60...so with us if we get to the point where we haven't won a championship in 30 years we are getting dangerously close to losing our status with most people I'm afraid. We have a proud tradition...and I think we are close to getting it back...but I'm not going to hold it against someone if they aren't old enough to know our history....in this case though I would say this guy probably misspoke.

To me people mistake the difference between blue bloods and elite programs.  To me blueblood is about a schools over all history.  An elite program is how they are at the present time and over the last hand full of years.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me people mistake the difference between blue bloods and elite programs.  To me blueblood is about a schools over all history.  An elite program is how they are at the present time and over the last hand full of years.

Agreed...blueblood by definition is about noble birth or origin. That said I would think that a family's name over time could lose it's nobility. That is what could threaten to happen to IU. I don't think we are there yet by any measures...like I was saying about Nebraska football or Notre Dame...those are still bluebloods... but are far from their glory.  I agree with you...elite programs are different and we are at risk of losing that stature and many more years of where we were headed it would likely have happened. Given a longer period say another 20 years of no final 4 or championship success...we could definitely lose status. Great distinction there Scott...agree!!

19 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I'd love 2 big guys and a Guard in this class.

Truthfully I'd prefer two guards and a big....just because Romeo is one and done and then Green will be gone after the next. Since most freshmen don't contribute right away I'm looking a year ahead when they will be a sophomore to step in for Green. We seem to be deeper at the 4.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Truthfully I'd prefer two guards and a big....just because Romeo is one and done and then Green will be gone after the next. Since most freshmen don't contribute right away I'm looking a year ahead when they will be a sophomore to step in for Green. We seem to be deeper at the 4.

Very good points.  

Archived