Beilein Interviewing for Pistons Job

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that this development comes at the very same time Beiein is in the midst of renegotiating his contract with the U of M.  A bargaining tactic ?

Stay tuned folks.

And thanks HoosierCPA for bringing this to our attention.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Beilein trying to get some extra loot.

Yeah. I see this as a negotiating ploy.  Belein is the third highest paid HC in the B1G.  Behind, Izzo, but behind Chris Holtman who basically just came into the the league by $4mill.  I could hear Belein saying, if a guy who has been in the league for such a short period of time is getting paid $ 4 mill more than me.... why shouldn't I be getting what he is or more ?

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. I see this as a negotiating ploy.  Belein is the third highest paid HC in the B1G.  Behind, Izzo, but behind Chris Holtman who basically just came into the the league by $4mill.  I could hear Belein saying, if a guy who has been in the league for such a short period of time is getting paid $ 4 mill more than me.... why shouldn't I be getting what he is or more ?

And to a certain degree Harbaugh has had an open vault since he arrived without the results. Beilein could just be saying where's our cut?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

College basketball needs coaches like John Beilein.  I hope he stays.  Let the NBA have the Caliparis and Sampsons of the world.

JB isn’t as squeaky clean as college basketball wants everyone to think.  Shady dude from some accounts I’ve been told.  

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

JB isn’t as squeaky clean as college basketball wants everyone to think.  Shady dude from some accounts I’ve been told.  

Logically speaking, this almost has to be true. He took the WVU job after Dakich turned it down because of shady things. He also hired Jeff Meyer after what he was a part of at IU.

But I'm sure those are just coincidences and he is clean. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Logically speaking, this almost has to be true. He took the WVU job after Dakich turned it down because of shady things. He also hired Jeff Meyer after what he was a part of at IU.

Now that you mention those things, it certainly has raised my antenna's.  Dak made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that he not only did not like what had been going on at West Virginia, but that he did not like what path they told him, he would have to take into the future.  Dak even threatened to go public, if WVU attempted to bring suit against him for reneging on the job.   And then it seems Beilein had no trouble taking the job, that Dak refused to take.

And then.... yeah.  Beilein had no problem bringing Meyer on board.

Knew all those things you mentioned. But never connected the two till just now.You and 0708 have gotten me to rethink my thinking about Beilein. 

44 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yep, I have heard those same things.  But the irony is "Baby Dak" went there.  Hmmmmmm.

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Now that you mention those things, it certainly has raised my antenna's.  Dak made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that he not only did not like what had been going on at West Virginia, but that he did not like what path they told him, he would have to take into the future.  Dak even threatened to go public, if WVU attempted to bring suit against him for reneging on the job.   And then it seems Beilein had no trouble taking the job, that Dak refused to take.

And then.... yeah.  Beilein had no problem bringing Meyer on board.

Knew all those things you mentioned. But never connected the two till just now.You and 0708 have gotten me to rethink my thinking about Beilein. 

Yet Dakich let his son play for Beilein.  

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yet Dakich let his son play for Beilein.  

Very curious indeed.  Maybe unlike Scott May, who had a direct influence in who he let his son, not play for, perhaps in this case, maybe Dan let Andrew decide for himself. Yet, in the end, it was Andrew who chose to transfer from Michigan.

One may not be connected to the other.  Still a lot to consider. 

JB supposedly doesn’t have an agent which would make it seem more like genuine interest than a negotiating ploy. But he’s also not a young guy, so it’s hard to believe he would really leave now. Time will tell, but I’d be surprised if he left at the end of the day.

Supposedly John has been interested/intrigues by the NBA for a while but like others have said I’m not sure how legitimate that is and you have to use this angle to get a raise.

If what’s been mentioned is actually true then that’s really disappointing news about JB. I’ve always had a huge amount of respect for his style and he never seemed to get top players so what’s the deal behind him being shady? He also seemed like a class guy in interviews and came off to me as just a total basketball junkie and straight shooter. Consider me extremely confused. 

Anybody willing to elaborate on what he’s ‘supposedly’ done?

Archived