Beilein Interviewing for Pistons Job

I’ll just keep what I know to myself.  If it’s false I don’t want to smear the guy.  If it’s true it will eventually catch up to him one way or another.  I for one don’t see anyway it’s false.  Sad really because as most have said, he’s a good coach and puts on the face of a good ole fashion coach.  Well he kind of is like Wooden.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I saw this and immediately guessed this was a ploy to get money out of Michigan.  He’s a fine coach but 65 years old would be an interesting time to change gears to the pro game.  

I agree. No different than the previous buzz about Izzo moving on.  Hard to believe, either of these guys, given their ages have a desire to move on. 

Neither is a Larry Brown with as many skeletons in their closet to be known as "Poppa is a rolling stone"   Neither of these guys , Izzo, with his current issues, nor Beilein with his suspected issues can hold a candle to Larry Brown... who was always on the move. 

3 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I would like to think so as it would make all of the Austin Hatch fanfare appear as a PR move.

I mean I hope most human beings would do that for a kid that went through what he did.  I wouldn’t put it past It being a PR move though honestly.  

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I mean I hope most human beings would do that for a kid that went through what he did.  I wouldn’t put it past It being a PR move though honestly.  

Agree with you 0708. Doesn't matter what skeleton is in the closet, to promote a good cause. In fact, a good way to cover for the skeleton's in one's closet.

"Oh... but Judge.... I was the one who backed Austin, in his time of need."   Is that just a cover ?  Not sure at this point.

Again. 0708, because I know your insight into things. And,  and since  your earlier posts in this thread, about Beilein.... the jury is still out for me. However, you have swayed me.

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I completely understand 0708 .... and I’m with you mile... unfortunately I have to side that 0708 is right. What a bummer. 

Looks like you have read us right.  0708 is holding "The Nuts", while all I am doing is "Limping In. "    LOL 

I may get roasted for this, but I don't necessarily equate college coaches cheating with rather or not they are good, moral people. In fact, there are times where doing the right thing is against rules/laws. 

I have no problem believing Belein cheats/has cheated and he did the Austin Hatch thing for all the right reasons. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I may get roasted for this, but I don't necessarily equate college coaches cheating with rather or not they are good, moral people. In fact, there are times where doing the right thing is against rules/laws. 

I have no problem believing Belein cheats/has cheated and he did the Austin Hatch thing for all the right reasons. 

I think that's a legit statement.  I was thinking much along the same lines as you.   Take Kelvin Sampson for example.  He had to do some things at IU for the right reasons... didn't he ?  Can't think of one right now.  But I am sure there were some.  LOL.

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I think that's a legit statement.  I was thinking much along the same lines as you.   Take Kelvin Sampson for example.  He had to do some things at IU for the right reasons... didn't he ?  Can't think of one right now.  But I am sure there were some.  LOL.

You come up with one, and let me know.

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's nothing wrong with that line of thinking.  

11 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Supposedly John has been interested/intrigues by the NBA for a while but like others have said I’m not sure how legitimate that is and you have to use this angle to get a raise.

If what’s been mentioned is actually true then that’s really disappointing news about JB. I’ve always had a huge amount of respect for his style and he never seemed to get top players so what’s the deal behind him being shady? He also seemed like a class guy in interviews and came off to me as just a total basketball junkie and straight shooter. Consider me extremely confused. 

Anybody willing to elaborate on what he’s ‘supposedly’ done?

At  least according to DD Beilein is very clean and is one of the most respected coaches in the country.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At  least according to DD Beilein is very clean and is one of the most respected coaches in the country.

Not sure I am alone in this way of thinking about Dan. But... I find it harder and harder to believe much of what comes out of his mouth these days.... especially after what he recently said about TJD reclassifying.  Beilein, very well may be clean.  My head is still spinning over this.  Yet... I can't deny what 0708 is saying either.  Personally, I will believe 0708, before I do Dak.  I just think Dak "jumped the shark", in his attempts to rile IU fans.  And to make Beilein look like a good guy in terms of comparing him to Crean.

Now again.  In terms of Beilein.... I am just trying to process, all that I am learning, and reading about him.

John Beilein Voted Cleanest Coach By His Peers 

I'm not an insider, but if I'm going to continue to be a college basketball fan, then I have to believe there are good coaches out there who don't cheat.  I have to believe in guys like John Beilein, who won the poll as cleanest coach in major college hoops.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-are-the-high-major-coaches-who-dont-break-ncaa-rules/

The insinuation that there's something shady because he took over West Virginia when Dakich would not does not hold water with me since Andrew Dakich played for him at Michigan.  

The insinuation that there's something shady because of message board chatter is something else I won't hang my hat on.  About this time last year, this very board had a trusted poster imply that there were 'strings' attached to the Romeo recruitment.  Now that he's committed to IU, we either do not believe that to be true, or we associate it with the recent story about his dad's AAU negotiations, which we now believe to be within the rules.

I might be naive, but if I, as a college basketball fan, can't believe in guys like John Beilein, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller to be clean, then is there anyone out there worth respecting?

That said, I agree this could be a contract negotiation tactic.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not an insider, but if I'm going to continue to be a college basketball fan, then I have to believe there are good coaches out there who don't cheat.  I have to believe in guys like John Beilein, who won the poll as cleanest coach in major college hoops.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-are-the-high-major-coaches-who-dont-break-ncaa-rules/

The insinuation that there's something shady because he took over West Virginia when Dakich would not does not hold water with me since Andrew Dakich played for him at Michigan.  

The insinuation that there's something shady because of message board chatter is something else I won't hang my hat on.  About this time last year, this very board had a trusted poster imply that there were 'stings' attached to the Romeo recruitment.  Now that he's committed to IU, we either do not believe that to be true, or we associate it with the recent story about his dad's AAU negotiations, which we now believe to be within the rules.

I might be naive, but if I, as a college basketball fan, can't believe in guys like John Beilein, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller to be clean, then is there anyone out there worth respecting?

That said, I agree this could be a contract negotiation tactic.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.  I don’t doubt that there may be skeletons out there somewhere, but I also have to believe he doesn’t have a World Wide Wes on speed dial either. Just looking at his recruiting leads me to think that he isn’t paying recruits.  He doesn’t seem to be pulling in the caliber of recruit that I would see as getting paid.  One thing I’ve always admired about Beilein is his ability to win at a good level without the 5 star “can’t miss” talent.

On the positive side regarding Beilein, he did run off Max Bielfeldt, thus allowing IU to get that absolutely critical piece to the 2016 B1G title team, which is enough to reserve a warm place in my heart for him, or at least for that action of his.

1 hour ago, rico said:

You mean the same Dakich that was an assistant under Sampson?

Despite my current thoughts on Dak. And in his defense.  Dak did cross swords with Sampson, over the drug issues going on at the time.  If it were not for Dak, most likely there would have never been the consecutive suspensions for failed drug tests.

And let's keep in mind, what has already been posted. Dak walked away from a program when he discovered what was going on there.  Did not want to have anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Despite my current thoughts on Dak. And in his defense.  Dak did cross swords with Sampson, over the drug issues going on at the time.  If it were not for Dak, most likely there would have never been the consecutive suspensions for failed drug tests.

And let's keep in mind, what has already been posted. Dak walked away from a program when he discovered what was going on there.  Did not want to have anything to do with it.

Didn't Dan's son play for Beilein?  I wouldn't take anything he says on this topic seriously.  He's clearly biased. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

The question is what was going on at WV?  The tidbits I heard were that drugs were rampant and players were getting paid to play.  IIRC, only one player was dismissed from the squad when Beilein took it over.  Just can't remember the player's name though.

1 hour ago, BoomBaby said:

On the positive side regarding Beilein, he did run off Max Bielfeldt, thus allowing IU to get that absolutely critical piece to the 2016 B1G title team, which is enough to reserve a warm place in my heart for him, or at least for that action of his.

Max still speaks very highly of Beilein and respects him as coach. Not sure if ‘run off’ is the right phrase. I am happy max came our way though...whatever his reasons. 

43 minutes ago, rico said:

The question is what was going on at WV?  The tidbits I heard were that drugs were rampant and players were getting paid to play.  IIRC, only one player was dismissed from the squad when Beilein took it over.  Just can't remember the player's name though.

Drugs were rampant and players were dismissed when Crean took over at IU.  Those transgressions are the failure of the prior coaching staff, not the one that takes over.  Dan just didn't want the challenge at WV.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Drugs were rampant and players were dismissed when Crean took over at IU.  Those transgressions are the failure of the prior coaching staff, not the one that takes over.  Dan just didn't want the challenge at WV.  

Meh, he took the job.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah, agree.

Also not sure why we give so much credibility to Dakich on the after-the-fact WV story. He hasn't exactly shown himself to be credible.

Archived