Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
milehiiu

A day with De'Ron Davis

Recommended Posts

Thank you IUBB.

Gotta admit.  After watching this video, I may have to eat my words about De'Ron not coming back till next year.  And nothing could taste any better.   xD

Any way. Enjoy this video that has been posted on You Tube :

A Day With De'Ron Davis

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this. Hard to not cheer for these kids...especially those rehabbing an injury. Wish him a speedy recovery and Ithought Bilas comment was pretty spot on. Could be a huge piece if he returns healthy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you IUBB.

Gotta admit.  After watching this video, I may have to eat my words about De'Ron not coming back till next year.  And nothing could taste any better.   xD

Any way. Enjoy this video that has been posted on You Tube :

A Day With De'Ron Davis

Saw this on YouTube a couple of days ago and it looks like he has stayed in good shape.  Also with him able to walk around the Indy zoo his injury is looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great video.  Loved the inside look at things.  

This is what being in college is all about.  Regardless of how good a player one is.... I can't imagine giving up the good times that being in college provide.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see how swanky the locker room space is once renovated. Plus, I loved the "townie" view of Bloomington. Being a resident, it's always cool to see where these guys go for mundane things like haircuts and the like. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BEKA said:

I'd love to see how swanky the locker room space is once renovated. Plus, I loved the "townie" view of Bloomington. Being a resident, it's always cool to see where these guys go for mundane things like haircuts and the like. 

I am not a resident. Well, any longer. So for me, that segment was especially interesting. Particularly the part when the barber told De'Ron that freshmen don't realize the impact they have on the community till days later.

Aside from that.... talking about hair cuts... when I was a student... I got my hair cut at a shop next to what was  then the theater just off campus. Didn't have to take a car. Just off of the Gates, and a walk there. No appointments.  Just walk in.  

The old Von Lee... before it became a restaurant :

Von_Lee_Theater_in_Bloomington.jpg

Edited by milehiiu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the clip of the Duke game in the video reminded me of how strong and impactful he could be at times. Hope he rovers soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, azhoosier said:

Seeing the clip of the Duke game in the video reminded me of how strong and impactful he could be at times. Hope he rovers soon. 

As in "Red Rover"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rico said:

As in "Red Rover"?

With all due apologies to azhoosier, who obviously made a typo......Rover...... As in a player not confined to playing a particular spot on the court.  Archie Ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

With all due apologies to azhoosier, who obviously made a typo......Rover...... As in a player not confined to playing a particular spot on the court.  Archie Ball. 

I do believe that is a slow pitch softball term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't sound like a kid thinking about leaving the program.  Sounds like he is all in and having fun.  Glad to see he is getting back at it and I hope he tears it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Deron's abilities/potential. He may not have the athleticism, footwork, or the shooting range of a guy like Thomas Bryant yet but he's extremely strong and hard to guard. I was re-watching highlights of the Duke game this year. He was a matchup nightmare for Bagley and Carter. I think it also speaks volumes about his potential, considering that Archie felt the best chance of IU winning that game was to have Deron to battle it out in the paint against two top ten NBA draft picks. 

Deron is arguably the x-factor on this roster. With players like Ward, Haap, and Fernando all returning, we need someone who can guard them/get them into foul trouble. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video. I spoke to DeRon not to long ago. He will need to take some weight off in a hurry. He put on almost everything he lost. Which i'm sure was easy to do being hurt and not working out. Big boys like to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Great video. I spoke to DeRon not to long ago. He will need to take some weight off in a hurry. He put on almost everything he lost. Which i'm sure was easy to do being hurt and not working out. Big boys like to eat.

3

That was definitely something I was concerned about. Hopefully, they put him on a diet plan to shed some pounds.     

I'm excited to see what Deron can do next season. I remember him being brutally honest about his underwhelming season when he talked to the media. I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder this upcoming year and become less one-dimensional.

Fortunately for him, he will have a lot of talent around him to fill those holes in his game. As long as he continues to improve on what he does best, he could be the key to winning a lot of games. One of our biggest downfalls last season was not having someone tall/strong enough to guard the big boys in the conference. I look forward to seeing what this team can do when Juwan Morgan doesn't have to play defense against people who have 30+lbs and 6+ inches on him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

That was definitely something I was concerned about. Hopefully, they put him on a diet plan to shed some pounds.     

I'm excited to see what Deron can do next season. I remember him being brutally honest about his underwhelming season when he talked to the media. I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder this upcoming year and become less one-dimensional.

Fortunately for him, he will have a lot of talent around him to fill those holes in his game. As long as he continues to improve on what he does best, he could be the key to winning a lot of games. One of our biggest downfalls last season was not having someone tall/strong enough to guard the big boys in the conference. I look forward to seeing what this team can do when Juwan Morgan doesn't have to play defense against people who have 30+lbs and 6+ inches on him. 

DeRon getting hurt helped Juwan. Juwan became a man on the blocks last season because of it. If DeRon can get back and back in shape, Archie has something he can do in the post using those two together. Put them together with the added shooters and this team could do some damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Deron is arguably the x-factor on this roster. With players like Ward, Haap, and Fernando all returning, we need someone who can guard them/get them into foul trouble. 

 

Which of those players will he be able to guard?  Bagley and Carter combined for 41 points and 22 rebounds in the game against Duke last season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Which of those players will he be able to guard?  Bagley and Carter combined for 41 points and 22 rebounds in the game against Duke last season.  

A couple of things lol. First, I wasn't suggesting that Deron was good defensively that night against them when I was talking about his performance. I really just wanted to highlight the fact that he's got a lot of potential on the offensive side, which is evident through what he could do in the post against Duke. 

In Deron's defense, Bagley and Carter also combined for 62 minutes, while Deron only played 24. That's a whole lot of minutes out there that those guys were only being covered by players 6'8 or smaller. 

As for which of those players I think Deron can guard, I'd say all of them. There's a reason that both Bagley and Carter are projected top 10 NBA Draft picks and Haap/Ward/Fernando are all returning to play college ball. We don't need Deron to be a lockdown defender to win those games. You just need him to be able to contain these guys on the defensive end. Deron is a very capable shot blocker, and if he stays out of foul trouble, he'll do just fine.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

As for which of those players I think Deron can guard, I'd say all of them. There's a reason that both Bagley and Carter are projected top 10 NBA Draft picks and Haap/Ward/Fernando are all returning to play college ball. We don't need Deron to be a lockdown defender to win those games. You just need him to be able to contain these guys on the defensive end. Deron is a very capable shot blocker, and if he stays out of foul trouble, he'll do just fine.

Dave.  Spot on.  Set the all time record for blocked shots, as a prepster in Colorado.  Just like one can't coach height (6-10), blocking shots does not just go away. 

Granted, room for improvement.  What baffles me most, is De'Ron went from a good free throw shooter to just horrible in one season. Whether it was the loss of weight over the summer, I don't know.  I actually studied his Free Throw shooting today, and it seemed that he was pushing the ball last year, instead of letting it flow, like in his frosh year.

Bottom line. Too much potential there, to give up on him now. 

 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

As for which of those players I think Deron can guard, I'd say all of them. There's a reason that both Bagley and Carter are projected top 10 NBA Draft picks and Haap/Ward/Fernando are all returning to play college ball. We don't need Deron to be a lockdown defender to win those games. You just need him to be able to contain these guys on the defensive end. Deron is a very capable shot blocker, and if he stays out of foul trouble, he'll do just fine.

We’ll see.  I’m not too optimistic about him being able to stay out of foul trouble with his lack of lateral quickness and poor gas tank.  He was a net negative on defense last season, and now he’s coming off the Achilles tear.  But it also never hurts to have a pretty skilled 6’10 big coming off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Thanks for the link Jerry.  As De'Ron's professed number one fan.... I appreciate it.   Personally, I have no issues with bringing De'Ron along slowly. Especially considering the team we will be able to put on the court this year. Have already posted that I would not be surprised if we don't see De'Ron on the court at all this year.  And would even not have a problem if this season were chalked up as a medical red shirt season.  Just thinking what can be, should he have all the time to recover from injury that he needs, have this season to observe, and next summer to get back in shape again.  That though really excites me... as to what his potential could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×