George McGinnis

WH671

I was a freshman when McGinnis played his one and only season at IU.

The article mentioned his UK game in which he scored 38 points and got 20 rebounds which I attended.  Adolph Rupp coached UK at that time, and he had broken an ankle.  They had a small stool with a purple pillow on it for him to rest his foot on.  It was  a close game and UK tied the score late.  It was very noisy but John Ritter got off a half court shot which was good for the apparent win, but George had called time out which the refs gave him.   IU didn't score on the subsequent inbound play, and IU went down in OT.

This was the year before IU moved to Assembly Hall which at the time was called "The House the George Built" because IU was expected to have a national resurgence with McGinnis, Downing, and company.   Unfortunately George never played in Assembly Hall for IU.  He did play there for the Pacers in a playoff game v. NY Nets.

George was truly a man among boys.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

I was a freshman when McGinnis played his one and only season at IU.

The article mentioned his UK game in which he scored 38 points and got 20 rebounds which I attended.  Adolph Rupp coached UK at that time, and he had broken an ankle.  They had a small stool with a purple pillow on it for him to rest his foot on.  It was  a close game and UK tied the score late.  It was very noisy but John Ritter got off a half court shot which was good for the apparent win, but George had called time out which the refs gave him.   IU didn't score on the subsequent inbound play, and IU went down in OT.

This was the year before IU moved to Assembly Hall which at the time was called "The House the George Built" because IU was expected to have a national resurgence with McGinnis, Downing, and company.   Unfortunately George never played in Assembly Hall for IU.  He did play there for the Pacers in a playoff game v. NY Nets.

George was truly a man among boys.

I was a freshman in '70-'71 as well, and was at that game in the old Airplane Hanger.  That particular game was certainly hard to forget.  As an aside George averaged 30 points and 15 rebounds that year.  I'm guessing the rumor wasn't true, but it was said that despite the size of his muscles, he'd never lifted weights in his life.  And I'm sure you've heard people say that the '69-'70 varsity team was the third-best team on campus, after the freshman team and the McGinnis-Downing intramural team (both had to sit out the year because they were nonpredictors).

26 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

I was a freshman in '70-'71 as well, and was at that game in the old Airplane Hanger.  That particular game was certainly hard to forget.  As an aside George averaged 30 points and 15 rebounds that year.  I'm guessing the rumor wasn't true, but it was said that despite the size of his muscles, he'd never lifted weights in his life.  And I'm sure you've heard people say that the '69-'70 varsity team was the third-best team on campus, after the freshman team and the McGinnis-Downing intramural team (both had to sit out the year because they were nonpredictors).

Welcome to HSN.03, BoomBaby.  I graduated from IU, in 1969.  So I missed "Big George".  But recall attending many a game in what you just called "the Airplane Hanger".  And apt description.  LOL

33 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Yes, I can confirm that it was widely believed that the '69-'70 varsity was only the 3d best team on campus.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Welcome to HSN.03, BoomBaby.  I graduated from IU, in 1969.  So I missed "Big George".  But recall attending many a game in what you just called "the Airplane Hanger".  And apt description.  LOL

Once Assembly Hall opened, we called the Airplane Hangar the New Old Fieldhouse, and the 7th St. facility the Old Old Fieldhouse!

2 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Are those fieldhouses still around? Might be a stupid question but I always wondered how old the Hyper (spelling?) is.

Yes. both buildings still remain on the IU campus.  The Wildermuth Intramural Center, better known as the Hyper building ,as you describe it was opened in 1928.  The Hyper building actually replaced IU's first home to basketball, which was the original Assembly Hall. 

Wildermuth Intramural Center - Wikipedia

When I was a student at IU..... registration was held in the Hyper Building.  Students were assigned days and times to register, according to their class and alphabetical spelling of their last name.  Table were set up throughout the building.  And you would race from one table to the next, hoping the class or classes you wanted to take were not closed when you got there.

The New Old Fieldhouse is still standing.  Called the Gladstein.  Next to Cook Hall, and Assembly Hall.

Gladstein Fieldhouse - Wikipedia

A brand new facility named after an Alumni benefactor dedicated to Volleyball and Wrestling is going up next to Cook Hall.

IU’s new multipurpose arena to be named Wilkinson Hall | Hoosier Sports Report | Indiana Hoosiers basketball, football, soccer and more

When I was in High School a buddy of mine and I would go to IU every Saturday and play basketball in the "Dustbowl" or Wildermuth. That was when there was a dirt floor where all the intermural basketball courts are now. Man the courts upstairs were slick.

1 hour ago, WH671 said:

When I was in High School a buddy of mine and I would go to IU every Saturday and play basketball in the "Dustbowl" or Wildermuth. That was when there was a dirt floor where all the intermural basketball courts are now. Man the courts upstairs were slick.

Reminds me of the time some friends and I went over there to play a pickup game and ended up playing against a bunch of IU football players.  Ouch!

Thank you guys for sharing the stories.  I remember Big Mac on the 76ers as a little kid.  I also remember watching the Pacers play on channel 4 in the ABA, but I was too young to see him play at IU. 

I, of course, have seen and heard Big Mac in interviews over the years and he certainly comes across as a tremendous person, and a true Hoosier.  I wish we had more complete and better videos on-line from that era.

I really, really enjoy and appreciate the comments and stories of people with first hand experiences.  Thank you for sharing!

28 minutes ago, WH671 said:

Thanks mile, those are some good memories. I remember when George and Steve Downing came out of high school. They were the most impressive duo around. They played for Lou Watson always wished he had a least one year with Coach Knight.

You are most welcome.  My pleasure.

Two things about your post.  One, I was a student when Lou Watson was our coach.  He was our coach, so I supported him.  Not knowing what was about to come in terms of the next level of coaching at IU.

Next.  I graduated one year before "Big George" became a Hoosier.  So, I never was able to see him up close and personal as a Hoosier.  However, I went to many Denver Nugget games when he was a Denver Nugget.  Just to see him, and because he once played for IU.  Man.... he was good !

From one of our local tv stations, who appreciated his contributions as a Nugget, like myself . And pardon the use of the University of Indiana.  This guy did not go to IU.  However that station has IU grads doing sports as well as one other in Denver.  They know better.  LOL

Former Nugget George McGinnis elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame | 9news.com

Archived