Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Perhaps, and I do not know.him at all. But from all I have heard, I doubt coasting is really part of his makeup.

Either way, I really hope he gets an offer, and really hope he jumps all over it.

He seems like a Hoosier. Let's put it to bed and get him on board!i

The work hes done in the weight room the past 3 years proves he doesnt coast. 

6 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So hypothetically if we were to offer him Monday would he go ahead and commit or would he wait? This is all hypothetical of course....

Depends on the convo I would say. Heck Archie may even ask him to hold off until the 2019 class is finished. 

14 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So hypothetically if we were to offer him Monday would he go ahead and commit or would he wait? This is all hypothetical of course....

It depends on how bad he wants to be a Hoosier or not. I know Xavier, Standford, Butler, Northwestern and Stanford all have offered but us....

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think people are reading between the lines. We just missed out on basically all our guards in 2019....so it makes sense we will have room for him in 2020....and we are suddenly moving on to in home for him.

2020 was going to have more than one open spot.  With transfers, early entries it was going to happen.  Got to think this kid has always been an option and with the visits, etc.  It seems the staff has kept a close eye on him.  

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

2020 was going to have more than one open spot.  With transfers, early entries it was going to happen.  Got to think this kid has always been an option and with the visits, etc.  It seems the staff has kept a close eye on him.  

Well honestly and I hope I’m not offending anyone but if we landed a guard or especially two in this class then I think Morton would have been the priority for 2020 and Leal wouldn’t have been offered or at least would have been asked to hold off a decision until after Morton made a commitment one way or another. Morton does a bit more ball handling, creation, etc and Leal more shooting but if we have more guards on the roster we might not want both in that class. That said missing out on all I think we have plenty of room for both now and not worried about a crowded backcourt. All speculation by me of course.

I am a current Senior at IU and will be happily returning to campus next year to complete my Master's.

As students, we have tons of information available to share, myself included. However, many of us refrain from making a lot of this information public. 

Frequently, information about our student athletes that is made available to the public is twisted and used to disparage the accomplishments of the student athletes whom many of us are friends and colleagues with. As a student body, we cherish our student athletes. We read these message boards and we get frustrated by the negativity. This is the reaction just from the student body. Now imagine the reactions from players and their families when they read these same comments. Put yourself in their shoes. I imagine the reactions from players and their families fall in line with this reaction, but to a more personal degree.  

As a community, when information is made available to you, please, do not use it as an opportunity to disparage the athletic ability, integrity, or effort of our student athletes or recruits. The tendency of our fan base to take a negative twist on information harms our program. Our negativity makes it more difficult to recruit, it effects the players reading the comments on a psychological level, and it makes our community as a whole come across as more toxic. People do not want to be a part of a toxic community.

As an example, former University of Florida player and current grad transfer Keith Stone documented in the 2017-2018 basketball season during a post game interview that his slow start to the season was due to self-doubt. He credited this doubt to the negative comments he read about himself online. We underestimate the effect of what we say and how it effects our players, who make abundant sacrifices in balancing school, family, and athletics. Anthony Leal for instance, is a fantastic young man and if the coaching staff deems fit, should be welcome to our community with open arms, just as any other recruit, player, and staff member should.

As a community of fans and supporters of the IU basketball team we need to keep in mind that we are a representation of the Indiana University community, a community in which we want student athletes and their families to feel welcome and cherished. Our comments and discussions should focus on the great things these student athletes do and will do for the University. If as fans we truly value the success of our University and athletic programs, this is the least we can do to contribute to that goal.

^^^^^^

This needed to be said. Any and all negativity directed towards current and former recruits and players do not provide any value when shared. While this happens quite often on social media, it finds itself on this forum at times, even when some of us may not realize it. While players may (some do) read these forums, their friends on campus do and stuff spreads. Many students value these forums, but often find remarks made to be offputting. To bash current players, imply recruits are choosing schools as a result of financial benefits, or flat out saying "yeah recruit ____ chose another school, I could care less about him now," do not provide any value to the conversation and hurts the fanbases' reputation. This forum draws in very important people, and before clicking "send," we must consider the ramifications of these posts. I very much understand this applies to a majority of other fanbases, but I would like to think this fanbase can be better than that, especially in a time in which our program needs to sustain momentum. 

With all due respect, the vast majority of the discussion has been very pro-Leal, so I don’t get what set you off.  That’s fine if you want to give a student’s perspective. Many of us who are alumni have been students in the past and know from our own perspectives what it’s like to be a student.  You didn’t invent the feelings of being a student.  To try to characterize the members of this board as unhinged is a tad offensive, no?   This is a basketball message board.  The players probably shouldn’t read the boards if they are thin skinned.  If you will be playing basketball on scholarship, regardless of school,  your play on the court will be considered and discussed.  It shouldn’t be personal but you don’t see much of that, here anyway.  

As for Twitter, it’s a matter of public fact that there’s tons of trolls on there.  Check out Twitter’s quarterly calls.  They thin out gobs of fake accounts.  A fan of a competitor can pose as a crazy IU fan to make IU look bad.  If you don’t think that’s happening, I’ve got some swamp land in Florida to sell you.   We’ve seen those tactics on message boards but the mods take care of it.  Twitter is more of the Wild West.  

I doubt families of players are so naive or uneducated on social media to take twitter trolls seriously.  If they are that naive, more power to them in their bubble.  There are lots of people needed to make the world go round, and the earth won’t spin off it’s axis.  

IU fans are by and large first rate.  There is some level of dysfunction literally everywhere and there’s nothing at IU worse than other schools.  IU is classier than most.  While this board gave credit where it’s due even to Purdue, you rarely see that the other way or among rivals.  I’ve been an IU fan for a long time and have traveled with the fan base.  It’s an unreal fan base.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With all due respect, the vast majority of the discussion has been very pro-Leal, so I don’t get what set you off.  That’s fine if you want to give a student’s perspective. Many of us who are alumni have been students in the past and know from our own perspectives what it’s like to be a student.  You didn’t invent the feelings of being a student.  To try to characterize the members of this board as unhinged is a tad offensive, no?   This is a basketball message board.  The players probably shouldn’t read the boards if they are thin skinned.  If you will be playing basketball on scholarship, regardless of school,  your play on the court will be considered and discussed.  It shouldn’t be personal but you don’t see much of that, here anyway.  

As for Twitter, it’s a matter of public fact that there’s tons of trolls on there.  Check out Twitter’s quarterly calls.  They thin out gobs of fake accounts.  A fan of a competitor can pose as a crazy IU fan to make IU look bad.  If you don’t think that’s happening, I’ve got some swamp land in Florida to sell you.   We’ve seen those tactics on message boards but the mods take care of it.  Twitter is more of the Wild West.  

I doubt families of players are so naive or uneducated on social media to not take twitter trolls seriously.  If they are that naive, more power to them in their bubble.  There are lots of people needed to make the world go round, and the earth won’t spin off it’s axis.  

IU fans are by and large first rate.  There is some level of dysfunction literally everywhere and there’s nothing at IU worse than other schools.  IU is classier than most.  While this board gave credit where it’s due even to Purdue, you rarely see that the other way or among rivals.  I’ve been an IU fan for a long time and have traveled with the fan base.  It’s an unreal fan base.  

My goal was to provide insight into the environment on campus and to provide context on how ongoing dialogues effect that. I am attesting from personal experience that what is said on this board impacts players, recruits, and their families. Whether or not you want to value that as true is up to you. I do agree that the majority of commentary is positive and productive. My commentary is regarding the comments that are not. I don't think you need to look far, even in this particular thread, to find examples of what I am talking about, but I will refrain my calling out posts by individual users. Even if they occur less often, these are the comments that spread and effect the perception of our fan base. I understand that trolls exist, but that does not mean that us as fans do not have a role to play. It is up to you if you want to take that insight into consideration, but I believe it is worth bringing to light. I do not seek to be argumentative, but rather facilitate a discussion that I think would be valuable for all involved. The IU fan base by all accords is fantastic, but there is nothing stopping us from making it even better.

One last note: We cannot change how a player or recruit perceives negativity, what we can change is the extent we allow this negativity to exist.

10 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

My goal was to provide insight into the environment on campus and to provide context on how ongoing dialogues effect that. I am attesting from personal experience that what is said on this board impacts players, recruits, and their families. Whether or not you want to value that as true is up to you. I do agree that the majority of commentary is positive and productive. My commentary is regarding the comments that are not. I don't think you need to look far, even in this particular thread, to find examples of what I am talking about, but I will refrain my calling out posts by individual users. Even if they occur less often, these are the comments that spread and effect the perception of our fan base. I understand that trolls exist, but that does not mean that us as fans do not have a role to play. It is up to you if you want to take that insight into consideration, but I believe it is worth bringing to light. I do not seek to be argumentative, but rather facilitate a discussion that I think would be valuable for all involved. The IU fan base by all accords is fantastic, but there is nothing stopping us from making it even better.

One last note: We cannot change how a player or recruit perceives negativity, what we can change is the extent we allow this negativity to exist.

Except we literally can’t control the perceived negativity. Any opposing fan can create a fake Twitter account. 

6 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

While trolls exist, we can still try to be more positive ourselves.

Please don’t try to turn this into a safe space.  While some of the discussion can turn negative, it’s always done in a fairly civil manner.  If you think IU is the only one who does this, please read any other major college program’s message boards.  Heck UK fans have threatened the lives of their own players, and that has not affected their recruiting one bit.  

Everyone needs to quit being so sensitive when someone else’s opinion doesn’t line up with their own.  If a kid makes a bad play or a season’s worth of bad plays, they’re not above criticism.  They’re not handing out participation trophies in the NCAA.

38 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Please don’t try to turn this into a safe space.  While some of the discussion can turn negative, it’s always done in a fairly civil manner.  If you think IU is the only one who does this, please read any other major college program’s message boards.  Heck UK fans have threatened the lives of their own players, and that has not affected their recruiting one bit.  

Everyone needs to quit being so sensitive when someone else’s opinion doesn’t line up with their own.  If a kid makes a bad play or a season’s worth of bad plays, they’re not above criticism.  They’re not handing out participation trophies in the NCAA.

Very much agree with the civility of the forum. As said above, I am very aware IU is not the only school who does this, but this does not mean we can tolerate It. It also has nothing to do with a disagreement in opinion. 

There is a difference between constructive criticism, which is not inherently negative, and saying things like player x does not try, player x has a shady commitment, player x does not deserve to wear Indiana across his chest, or we are above offering player x. All statements I’ve seen on this forum in some degree. 

I agree with a lot of the constructive criticism of players. However, there is a line that should not be crossed in how we talk about players, recruits, families, and staff. Lets be better about not crossing that line.

If players shouldn’t be above constructive criticism, neither should we as fans. 

I strike to move the fan base vs global social media effect to its own thread.

IUstudent 1-5, this is a recruit specific thread. Your violating your own narrative. You hit send in the wrong thread and not just once. I can’t help but question your agenda. Why did you choose to plant your seeds here? Don’t answer that, yet. Start a thread in the general section of the forums. I’m sure you will get a much warmer welcome and plenty of feedback.

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

I strike to move the fan base vs global social media effect to its own thread.

IUstudent 1-5, this is a recruit specific thread. Your violating your own narrative. You hit send in the wrong thread and not just once. I can’t help but question your agenda. Why did you choose to plant your seeds here? Don’t answer that, yet. Start a thread in the general section of the forums. I’m sure you will get a much warmer welcome and plenty of feedback.

Simple stuff. 

7 hours ago, IUStudent2 said:

As an IU student, please represent our university better by learning the difference between effect and affect. 

9 hours ago, IUStudent2 said:

I am a current Senior at IU and will be happily returning to campus next year to complete my Master's.

As students, we have tons of information available to share, myself included. However, many of us refrain from making a lot of this information public. 

Frequently, information about our student athletes that is made available to the public is twisted and used to disparage the accomplishments of the student athletes whom many of us are friends and colleagues with. As a student body, we cherish our student athletes. We read these message boards and we get frustrated by the negativity. This is the reaction just from the student body. Now imagine the reactions from players and their families when they read these same comments. Put yourself in their shoes. I imagine the reactions from players and their families fall in line with this reaction, but to a more personal degree.  

As a community, when information is made available to you, please, do not use it as an opportunity to disparage the athletic ability, integrity, or effort of our student athletes or recruits. The tendency of our fan base to take a negative twist on information harms our program. Our negativity makes it more difficult to recruit, it effects the players reading the comments on a psychological level, and it makes our community as a whole come across as more toxic. People do not want to be a part of a toxic community.

As an example, former University of Florida player and current grad transfer Keith Stone documented in the 2017-2018 basketball season during a post game interview that his slow start to the season was due to self-doubt. He credited this doubt to the negative comments he read about himself online. We underestimate the effect of what we say and how it effects our players, who make abundant sacrifices in balancing school, family, and athletics. Anthony Leal for instance, is a fantastic young man and if the coaching staff deems fit, should be welcome to our community with open arms, just as any other recruit, player, and staff member should.

As a community of fans and supporters of the IU basketball team we need to keep in mind that we are a representation of the Indiana University community, a community in which we want student athletes and their families to feel welcome and cherished. Our comments and discussions should focus on the great things these student athletes do and will do for the University. If as fans we truly value the success of our University and athletic programs, this is the least we can do to contribute to that goal.

Sorry. I'm sure it's a well written thesis but I couldn't stop laughing at hearing a student use the word "colleagues"....

Personally I think this board is better than most of other fan boards. Important thing is players are not immune to criticism. If they play hard and play with spirit, they will get compliments even if they lose games. If they come out of the gate flat and lifeless (simply if they don't pass the eye test), they'll be criticized. What do they expect? Fans' love is not parental love. If a student athlete plays for a high major D-1 program and enjoys all the benefits and abundant resources, he should know responsibility comes with it. Nothing is free. A scholarship basketball player at IU is not just another average student spending parents' money. I may sound harsh but any player who thinks this much criticism is too much to handle and it oftentimes derails him, simply he doesn't belong to a program like IU. 

1. I agree my comments should have been made within their own thread. I initially was responding to a comment in this thread, but then opted not to reference a specific post. For derailing the thread, I apologize.

2. You can agree or disagree with my content, but my position as a student and my word choice should not be used as criteria to devalue my opinions as a fan. I will be happy to share information that comes my way on this board in the future, especially because I am pleased with how this discussion has went. When that time comes, I hope the discussion can be less distasteful.

3. I apologize for having a few typos in my post. I will be sure to revoke my degree after graduating next Saturday seeing as I fail to represent our University well.

With that, let's resume the discussion on Anthony Leal. I apologize once more for derailing the thread.

13 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

1. I agree my comments should have been made within their own thread. I initially was responding to a comment in this thread, but then opted not to reference a specific post. For derailing the thread, I apologize.

2. You can agree or disagree with my content, but my position as a student and my word choice should not be used as criteria to devalue my opinions as a fan. I will be happy to share information that comes my way on this board in the future, especially because I am pleased with how this discussion has went. When that time comes, I hope the discussion can be less distasteful.

3. I apologize for having a few typos in my post. I will be sure to revoke my degree after graduating next Saturday seeing as I fail to represent our University well.

With that, let's resume the discussion on Anthony Leal. I apologize once more for derailing the thread.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation.  Always good to have a student's perspective on Hoosier Sports Nation.

25 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

Honest question. My only access to students is my tailgates during football season so I never get a feel or pulse of the campus. When I flip on my tv to watch IU and I see our student section half full....or balconies completely empty....are the students just not interested in supporting IU hoops? I think we have the greatest student section in the country when things are going great but this past season I saw lots of empty balconies. What do most students think about program?

Congrats on graduation! I can remember getting my picture taken with Alan Henderson on the field like it was yesterday. Goes quickly!

Archived