Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Honest question. My only access to students is my tailgates during football season so I never get a feel or pulse of the campus. When I flip on my tv to watch IU and I see our student section half full....or balconies completely empty....are the students just not interested in supporting IU hoops? I think we have the greatest student section in the country when things are going great but this past season I saw lots of empty balconies. What do most students think about program?

Congrats on graduation! I can remember getting my picture taken with Alan Henderson on the field like it was yesterday. Goes quickly!

I personally, and the kids I choose to hang around try to every game that we can. I think in certain situations, especially weekday games, exams and work load does conflict with attending games. As a student body, we need to do a better job understanding when those times are and making an effort to get our tickets to someone else who wants to attend games.

I find most students to be optimistic about the program, but of course when losses occur or the team does not perform to its highest potential some of this enthusiasm tends to fade. The program has changed over the past years. I personally, will be graduating in three years. Next year will be my last as a student and I have not seen our team make the NCAA tournament. That can be disheartening. From my perspective, it makes me want to support the team even more because I so badly want to experience this metric of success while on campus. From the perspective of others, it causes them to lose hope in the team. For those that feel that way, I try to make a concerted effort to restore their hope.

I watch game film, I study the schemes that we are running, and overall I enjoy the game of basketball. I try to share my perspective with fellow students to try to help them understand why the team is struggling and what changes have been made to fix it. I believe that when people view something as problem that can't be solved they lose hope, so I try to spread a feeling of optimism when I can on campus.

I think Indiana Basketball is special and the experiences we have at Assembly Hall are ones we will all cherish when we are long gone from Bloomington. As a student body, regardless of immediate success, my hope is that we can rally around these special feelings and keep Assembly Hall full.

I can see your point of view @IUstudent, but at the same time negativity/trouble is abundant. Trying to eliminate all bad/negativity in the world appears like a good cause on the surface, but I promise it will run you down/exhaust you over time. People are incredibly different and can range from super pleasant to downright evil. 

My two cents for any players reading and that are legitimately negatively affected by forums/twitter, delete your twitter account, stop reading, etc. NOW and get some shots up at the gym. Focus on things you can control and don't worry or eliminate the rest from your life that doesn't help towards your personal goals. I don't have twitter myself and this is one of the primary reasons I don't.

11 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

I personally, and the kids I choose to hang around try to every game that we can. I think in certain situations, especially weekday games, exams and work load does conflict with attending games. As a student body, we need to do a better job understanding when those times are and making an effort to get our tickets to someone else who wants to attend games.

I find most students to be optimistic about the program, but of course when losses occur or the team does not perform to its highest potential some of this enthusiasm tends to fade. The program has changed over the past years. I personally, will be graduating in three years. Next year will be my last as a student and I have not seen our team make the NCAA tournament. That can be disheartening. From my perspective, it makes me want to support the team even more because I so badly want to experience this metric of success while on campus. From the perspective of others, it causes them to lose hope in the team. For those that feel that way, I try to make a concerted effort to restore their hope.

I watch game film, I study the schemes that we are running, and overall I enjoy the game of basketball. I try to share my perspective with fellow students to try to help them understand why the team is struggling and what changes have been made to fix it. I believe that when people view something as problem that can't be solved they lose hope, so I try to spread a feeling of optimism when I can on campus.

I think Indiana Basketball is special and the experiences we have at Assembly Hall are ones we will all cherish when we are long gone from Bloomington. As a student body, regardless of immediate success, my hope is that we can rally around these special feelings and keep Assembly Hall full.

I appreciate your input because when I was a student the last thing I thought to do was to go to a message board and provide feedback (especially with only a couple of weeks left)! But to play devil's advocate, can't you also say that the student section not being filled up displays more negativity than comments on a free message board? You say players on the current roster come out to these forums and find negativity. They can also look up at the 16 minute media time out and see the student section half full. What kind of message does that send? 

Also if there are any past, current, or future IU players reading this, please know we love you!  Any criticism you see is because we want you to succeed so we can enjoy watching you! 

Also for @IUStudent2 and any other soon to be grads, please pick up the book 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey. Habit #1 - Be proactive, not reactive, and take responsibility for your life. You're going to come across a lot of negative people and situations in life. You have the freedom to choose your response. 

Finally, hi Mom and welcome!

23 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I appreciate your input because when I was a student the last thing I thought to do was to go to a message board and provide feedback (especially with only a couple of weeks left)! But to play devil's advocate, can't you also say that the student section not being filled up displays more negativity than comments on a free message board? You say players on the current roster come out to these forums and find negativity. They can also look up at the 16 minute media time out and see the student section half full. What kind of message does that send? 

Also if there are any past, current, or future IU players reading this, please know we love you!  Any criticism you see is because we want you to succeed so we can enjoy watching you! 

Also for @IUStudent2 and any other soon to be grads, please pick up the book 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey. Habit #1 - Be proactive, not reactive, and take responsibility for your life. You're going to come across a lot of negative people and situations in life. You have the freedom to choose your response. 

Finally, hi Mom and welcome!

I appreciate the recommendation!

From my perspective, players receive abundant support on campus from the student body. Even if the student section isn't full, I believe the players understand that we support them (A great reason Anthony Leal will love being a Hoosier!).

I think the bigger issue is the disconnect between the sacrifices our student athletes make in contrast with the sometimes unfair expectations we as fans place upon them. Regardless if you think players should read what is said about them online, it happens. All I am saying is we need to appreciate our athletes rather than diminish them. When teams and players play with confidence, they play better. We as a community can contribute to that confidence.

12 minutes ago, IUStudent2 said:

I appreciate the recommendation!

From my perspective, players receive abundant support on campus from the student body. Even if the student section isn't full, I believe the players understand that we support them (A great reason Anthony Leal will love being a Hoosier!).

I think the bigger issue is the disconnect between the sacrifices our student athletes make in contrast with the sometimes unfair expectations we as fans place upon them. Regardless if you think players should read what is said about them online, it happens. All I am saying is we need to appreciate our athletes rather than diminish them. When teams and players play with confidence, they play better. We as a community can contribute to that confidence.

In the real world somebody can appreciate you and still tell you how you are ****ing up. 

In fact those people are a valuable part of an organization. 

Always being positive and giving As for effort even when effort isn’t there does nothing but hold a group back.  The feedback a player gets from fans is directly tied to his or her actions. They don’t like it they need to change their actions. 

Justin Smith is from what I can tell an all around more talented player than Juwan Morgan. The reason we heaped praise on Morgan and complained about Smith was because Morgan was out there giving 100%.  Smith was out there going 50% thinking he was Lebron James. 

It’s not our responsibility to stop saying it because Smith deserves a positive attitude. Smith needs to go out there and Try if he is upset that people are questioning his effort. 

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

In the real world somebody can appreciate you and still tell you how you are ****ing up. 

Always being positive and giving As for effort even when effort isn’t there does nothing but hold a group back.  The feedback a player gets from fans is directly tied to his or her actions. They don’t like it they need to change their actions. 

Justin Smith is from what I can tell an all around more talented player than Juwan Morgan. The reason we heaped praise on Morgan and complained about Smith was because Morgan was out there giving 100%.  Smith was out there going 50% thinking he was Lebron James. 

It’s not our responsibility to stop saying it because Smith deserves a positive attitude. Smith needs to go out there and Try if he is upset that people are questioning his effort. 

Well said....

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don't think anyone thinks questioning effort or play is wrong but when people makes it personal that is where the line should be drawn.  When we talk about a player needing to transfer or he is not good enough and thing like that should not be said.  Just like in coaching the coaches knows the ones that can take it and the ones who can't and they usually treat them differently.

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am not saying feedback needs to be exclusively positive. Just that there is a way to present feedback without it being exclusively negative. Providing criticism and feedback requires balance.

For instance, saying Justin Smith only gives 50% effort is probably not the best way to present feedback. It is exclusively negative, and objectively I also do not think it is true.

Rather, it should be noted that Justin Smith is one of the better defenders on our team. While at times, he does have mental lapses, he was a key component that allowed our team to succeed defensively. As a forward, Justin was great at hedging on screens and playing within our defensive system and often times was tasked with guarding the best player on the opposing team. Justin also played a pivotal role in both of our victories against Michigan State at both ends of the floor. Correcting these lapses will allow Justin to improve and hopefully help fill the shoes of Juwan Morgan, a player who rarely showed mental lapses as an upperclassmen and possessed an uncanny level of focus.

Justin is a great student, and by all accounts a great person from the conversations I have had with others on campus. There are things he can do to improve, but that does not mean we have to neglect the great things he has done for our program, on and off the court. 

29 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I half agree and half disagree. I wholeheartedly agree that it will be a tough go in life for the person that's afraid of criticism or the person that can't take criticism/feedback for what it is, an opportunity to improve. I agree completely. Anytime I have a new boss I make it a point to ask them to always tell me when they have criticism, because it's the only way I can improve. I also tell employees that I manage to tell me if they have criticism of how I'm managing, because again the only way I can improve how I'm supporting them is by knowing areas I need to work on. Players need to stop viewing their coaches feedback or negativity as something bad, but view it as an opportunity to improve. 

With all that said, fan criticism is basically the most uninformed criticism available to these players. To the bolded, why should a player care what your feedback is? We see the players for 40 minutes 30+ times a year, that's it. We have no idea what's going on in practice, who these kids really are, what they've been working on and how hard, etc. They should ignore our criticism. Now, that doesn't mean we don't have a right to post on these boards and share what we think, of course we do, heck I've wracked up over 10,000 posts on the various version of HSN. But the players should completely ignore it. 

On the Smith/Morgan thing, Morgan is a way more talented player. Smith is a better athlete, but Morgan is a far more skilled basketball player. Other than jumping, I can't really think of anything that Smith is better than Morgan at on a basketball court. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I half agree and half disagree. I wholeheartedly agree that it will be a tough go in life for the person that's afraid of criticism or the person that can't take criticism/feedback for what it is, an opportunity to improve. I agree completely. Anytime I have a new boss I make it a point to ask them to always tell me when they have criticism, because it's the only way I can improve. I also tell employees that I manage to tell me if they have criticism of how I'm managing, because again the only way I can improve how I'm supporting them is by knowing areas I need to work on. Players need to stop viewing their coaches feedback or negativity as something bad, but view it as an opportunity to improve. 

With all that said, fan criticism is basically the most uninformed criticism available to these players. To the bolded, why should a player care what your feedback is? We see the players for 40 minutes 30+ times a year, that's it. We have no idea what's going on in practice, who these kids really are, what they've been working on and how hard, etc. They should ignore our criticism. Now, that doesn't mean we don't have a right to post on these boards and share what we think, of course we do, heck I've wracked up over 10,000 posts on the various version of HSN. But the players should completely ignore it. 

On the Smith/Morgan thing, Morgan is a way more talented player. Smith is a better athlete, but Morgan is a far more skilled basketball player. Other than jumping, I can't really think of anything that Smith is better than Morgan at on a basketball court. 

Another thing we all forget is that the kids have the same problems that everyone of  us goes through on a daily basis.  If you watch the Journey on the BTN then you will see stories what these kids are going through that we have no idea they are going through.  Tillman from MSU has a year old little girl and having to split time between family school and basketball has to take a toll on him.  so if you see a player having a bad game or a stretch of games maybe they are going through things that we have n idea they are going through.  Last year Ward from MSU was playing bad and found out later his mother was in serious condition in the hospital and he was driving back and forth between Michigan and Ohio.

1 hour ago, IUStudent2 said:

I am not saying feedback needs to be exclusively positive. Just that there is a way to present feedback without it being exclusively negative. Providing criticism and feedback requires balance.

For instance, saying Justin Smith only gives 50% effort is probably not the best way to present feedback. It is exclusively negative, and objectively I also do not think it is true.

Rather, it should be noted that Justin Smith is one of the better defenders on our team. While at times, he does have mental lapses, he was a key component that allowed our team to succeed defensively. As a forward, Justin was great at hedging on screens and playing within our defensive system and often times was tasked with guarding the best player on the opposing team. Justin also played a pivotal role in both of our victories against Michigan State at both ends of the floor. Correcting these lapses will allow Justin to improve and hopefully help fill the shoes of Juwan Morgan, a player who rarely showed mental lapses as an upperclassmen and possessed an uncanny level of focus.

Justin is a great student, and by all accounts a great person from the conversations I have had with others on campus. There are things he can do to improve, but that does not mean we have to neglect the great things he has done for our program, on and off the court. 

Justin Smith is a fine defender about 1/3 of the time. He can be one of the best but he actually has to be trying. He doesn’t he needs to. 

14 hours ago, IUStudent2 said:

I am a current Senior at IU and will be happily returning to campus next year to complete my Master's.

As students, we have tons of information available to share, myself included. However, many of us refrain from making a lot of this information public. 

Frequently, information about our student athletes that is made available to the public is twisted and used to disparage the accomplishments of the student athletes whom many of us are friends and colleagues with. As a student body, we cherish our student athletes. We read these message boards and we get frustrated by the negativity. This is the reaction just from the student body. Now imagine the reactions from players and their families when they read these same comments. Put yourself in their shoes. I imagine the reactions from players and their families fall in line with this reaction, but to a more personal degree.  

As a community, when information is made available to you, please, do not use it as an opportunity to disparage the athletic ability, integrity, or effort of our student athletes or recruits. The tendency of our fan base to take a negative twist on information harms our program. Our negativity makes it more difficult to recruit, it effects the players reading the comments on a psychological level, and it makes our community as a whole come across as more toxic. People do not want to be a part of a toxic community.

As an example, former University of Florida player and current grad transfer Keith Stone documented in the 2017-2018 basketball season during a post game interview that his slow start to the season was due to self-doubt. He credited this doubt to the negative comments he read about himself online. We underestimate the effect of what we say and how it effects our players, who make abundant sacrifices in balancing school, family, and athletics. Anthony Leal for instance, is a fantastic young man and if the coaching staff deems fit, should be welcome to our community with open arms, just as any other recruit, player, and staff member should.

As a community of fans and supporters of the IU basketball team we need to keep in mind that we are a representation of the Indiana University community, a community in which we want student athletes and their families to feel welcome and cherished. Our comments and discussions should focus on the great things these student athletes do and will do for the University. If as fans we truly value the success of our University and athletic programs, this is the least we can do to contribute to that goal.

Anyone else notice this? Keith Stone...always smooth. Always.

I think the harshest criticism I see on this board relates to questioning effort, not always results.

An example that comes to mind is Al Durham. There are times he is overmatched at this level, at this stage of his career.

However, I remember fans here only saying positive things. Because win or lose the kid gives all.he has and fights no matter the challenge.

Al is among most peoples favorite current players, but probably way down the list of our most talented. Becaise we want kids that fight and show some give a damn.

I also understand some players have a different personality and can falsely be perceived as not trying or caring. I found Romeo to come across that way. As fans, we obviously rarely KNOW. We discuss what we percieve.

34 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Are the coaches going to go watch him this weekend as well as an in home on Monday?

Can't speak to the games this weekend.  But I have plenty to say about other things.  Here's a kid who grew up an IU fan.  Who's parents have season tickets to IU games. And has proved to be an up and coming nationally recognized BB talent. And still has not gotten an offer to IU ?  IMHO, one had better come after Monday !

Just now, milehiiu said:

Can't speak to the games this weekend.  But I have plenty to say about other things.  Here's a kid who grew up an IU fan.  Who's parents have season tickets to IU games. And has proved to be an up and coming nationally recognized BB talent. And still has not gotten an offer to IU ?  IMHO, one had better come after Monday !

I hope so as well. If we do get him and I know this is a long way and a lot of hypotheticals away but that could be three Mr. Basketballs in a row correct?

50 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have been feeling the same for a long time

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Wait, season ticket holders? Isn't that like far worse than bumper stickers? There has to be an NCAA violation in there somewhere, maybe that's why IU is leery? DWS!! Sort of, do you hear me NCAA!

Hope he get's an offer!

Archived