Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well Leal did only score 5 points against Center Grove in a regional game this year.

I think the Jeff game he didn’t exactly light it up either but I agree with most HS kids will have their share of clunkers. Not sure what is going on with the AAU season...maybe pressing a bit? Sometimes kids are forced to play differently or out of position in AAU and HS...he is a really good player...just inconsistent at times..probably why Arch waited so long. I’m confident he turns it around.

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is there any other state that has a network for HS basketball that is broadcast through roku on hulu?  

I am not aware of any.  Though I have seen Iowa Championship games broadcast ironically on Chicago Sports channel on NBC Sports.

Here are sports channels available on either Roku or Hulu :

Live Stream Sports Online | Hulu + Live TV

Sports Channels | Roku Channel Store | Roku

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Thats the worst highlight video ever.

Careful...like I said it was posted by mamawhasacamera....there are some others...one has him sitting by the scorers table for a minute waiting to check in 😉. Good chance we know the nice lady that posted them lol. I love it 😍. Just hope we can get our hands on some more professionally done vids too....keep balling Anthony!

On 5/20/2019 at 1:34 PM, milehiiu said:

^^^^ How can you lock up your state. When you can't even lock up your own  city ?  IMHO.... Anthony is a MUST get ! On two counts.

Agreed. 247 and Rivals both consider him a 4-star/top 100 player in this class. We are in desperate need of another shooting guard. Not only right in our backyard but also a kid that we know is extremely passionate about the program. Not to mention, might be a big help in recruiting guys like Lander and the other 2021 in-state studs.

He checks of all the boxes, IMO. Would love to get him to commit asap and allow the staff more time & resources to go after some of the other guards like Love and Steward. 

38 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Agreed. 247 and Rivals both consider him a 4-star/top 100 player in this class. We are in desperate need of another shooting guard. Not only right in our backyard but also a kid that we know is extremely passionate about the program. Not to mention, might be a big help in recruiting guys like Lander and the other 2021 in-state studs.

He checks of all the boxes, IMO. Would love to get him to commit asap and allow the staff more time & resources to go after some of the other guards like Love and Steward. 

Thanks Dave.  Your words are much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Anyone speak to the relationships on his AAU team? How close are Galloway, Landers, Leal, Furst and the guys? I know they can’t all play in college together but do they just play together or is there real deep friendships there?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Anyone speak to the relationships on his AAU team? How close are Galloway, Landers, Leal, Furst and the guys? I know they can’t all play in college together but do they just play together or is there real deep friendships there?

I think Furst actually plays on a different AAU team than lander Galloway and Leal. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Here's my little outsider view of recruiting. We offered multiple 2020 in state guys. We allowed a few weeks. None have said yes. We now offer a 2020 out of state kid that fits the toughness mold Archie is looking for. To my point....is Archie basically telling the 2020 in state kids ok we've allowed enough time for you to say yes. This offer is a two way street. We have to recruit others too?? 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my little outsider view of recruiting. We offered multiple 2020 in state guys. We allowed a few weeks. None have said yes. We now offer a 2020 out of state kid that fits the toughness mold Archie is looking for. To my point....is Archie basically telling the 2020 in state kids ok we've allowed enough time for you to say yes. This offer is a two way street. We have to recruit others too?? 

Yes. Can’t wait around forever and not keep tabs/offer other suitable players. You’re absolutely right!

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think this is an interesting dichotomy. On the one hand you have a segment of the fandom that wants Indiana kids to commit because CAM needs to lock up the state. On the other hand (and sometimes there is crossover) you have some segment of the fanbase rallying around the recruits and telling them that you only go through this one time so who cares how long it's drawn out, i.e. Romeo Langford or even Trendon Watford. I know those guys are 5* special kids, but I think the generalization should apply. 

There is a large part of me that wants CAM to recruit hard nosed players who will succeed from outside of Indiana simply to prove a point to the in-state kids. That point being, "Hey I'm building something here. I want to do it with Indiana kids, but if you aren't on board, these other kids are and you miss your chance to represent your home state." TJD was the best basketball player in the state. He's the reigning Mr. Indiana. You didn't seem him waffle about. These other Indiana kids need to get the message. 

Archie has a responsibility to put his team together. In-State kids would be wise to understand this if they want to play in Bloomington.

Kelvin Sampson promised IU fans at his first Midnight Madness that he would not ever cheat again.  He failed in that.

Archie Miller, upon becoming IU's head coach, promised IU fans that he would lock up the state of Indiana.  No problem, going out of state once in a while, as far as I am concerned.   But Archie needs to live up to his promise, unlike Sampson. No better place to live up to your promise, Coach Miller, than locking up a B-town kid.  Right under your nose.

8 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I think this is an interesting dichotomy. On the one hand you have a segment of the fandom that wants Indiana kids to commit because CAM needs to lock up the state. On the other hand (and sometimes there is crossover) you have some segment of the fanbase rallying around the recruits and telling them that you only go through this one time so who cares how long it's drawn out, i.e. Romeo Langford or even Trendon Watford. I know those guys are 5* special kids, but I think the generalization should apply. 

There is a large part of me that wants CAM to recruit hard nosed players who will succeed from outside of Indiana simply to prove a point to the in-state kids. That point being, "Hey I'm building something here. I want to do it with Indiana kids, but if you aren't on board, these other kids are and you miss your chance to represent your home state." TJD was the best basketball player in the state. He's the reigning Mr. Indiana. You didn't seem him waffle about. These other Indiana kids need to get the message. 

Archie has a responsibility to put his team together. In-State kids would be wise to understand this if they want to play in Bloomington.

Amen. The 5 star guys get their own time table. Rightfully so. With all due respect some of these lower ranked guys can certainly (deserve to handle how they see fit) do what they want but don't cry me a river about being an IU fan and wanting to play at IU and miss your chance because an out of state guy takes your place. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Kelvin Sampson promised IU fans at his first Midnight Madness that he would not ever cheat again.  He failed in that.

Archie Miller, upon becoming IU's head coach, promised IU fans that he would lock up the state of Indiana.  No problem, going out of state once in a while, as far as I am concerned.   But Archie needs to live up to his promise, unlike Sampson. No better place to live up to your promise, Coach Miller, than locking up a B-town kid.  Right under your nose.

Honestly...what else can Archie do? He offered. It's on the kid to say yes, right?

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Honestly...what else can Archie do? He offered. It's on the kid to say yes, right?

Yep.  So let's flip the script.  Hey, Anthony..... what are YOU waiting on ?   Get it over, with. We all know you WANT to be a Hoosier.   IU fans will love you for it.  Commit now !

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep.  So let's flip the script.  Hey, Anthony..... what are YOU waiting on ?   Get it over, with. We all know you WANT to be a Hoosier.   IU fans will love you for it.  Commit now !

Yep. I posted in another thread but I'll post this here as well. Rob just tweeted this out. Time is running out, right? Haha

⏳⏳

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree because we can't be short handed if they decide to go elsewhere like Brooks this year.

Archived