Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Kelvin Sampson promised IU fans at his first Midnight Madness that he would not ever cheat again.  He failed in that.

Archie Miller, upon becoming IU's head coach, promised IU fans that he would lock up the state of Indiana.  No problem, going out of state once in a while, as far as I am concerned.   But Archie needs to live up to his promise, unlike Sampson. No better place to live up to your promise, Coach Miller, than locking up a B-town kid.  Right under your nose.

So far I can't blame Archie if Indiana kids go elsewhere because he has done everything possible to keep them here.  You can't hold these kids hostage until they commit to IU and can't make them come if they don't want to.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So far I can't blame Archie if Indiana kids go elsewhere because he has done everything possible to keep them here.  You can't hold these kids hostage until they commit to IU and can't make them come if they don't want to.

I agree with you.  Only so much a coach can do. And Coach Miller has lived up to his word. Unlike Coach Sampson.  Gotta be a time when Indiana kids desire IU so much that they think of no other place to play.  In that respect, it's all up to Coach Miller.  Gotta not only get into the NCAAT. But win it all.  Just like Knight, who had kids falling all over themselves to play for him. To the point where Knight took summers off to fish.  A big mistake, IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I agree with you.  Only so much a coach can do. And Coach Miller has lived up to his word. Unlike Coach Sampson.  Gotta be a time when Indiana kids desire IU so much that they think of no other place to play.  In that respect, it's all up to Coach Miller.  Gotta not only get into the NCAAT. But win it all.  Just like Knight, who had kids falling all over themselves to play for him. To the point where Knight took summers off to fish.  A big mistake, IMHO. 

I don't think that will ever happen again even f IU gets back to be great.  Some players just wants to move out of the state and go elsewhere and today there is more options for kids than there were in the past.

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I posted in another thread but I'll post this here as well. Rob just tweeted this out. Time is running out, right? Haha

⏳⏳

Most of my great HSN friends can't relate.  And I am sure young Mr.Leal has no idea.  However, on this Memorial Day Weekend, my fellow Viet Nam vets know.....

Time Has Come Today

Anthony. The ball is now on your side of the court.  Don't commit an error. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my little outsider view of recruiting. We offered multiple 2020 in state guys. We allowed a few weeks. None have said yes. We now offer a 2020 out of state kid that fits the toughness mold Archie is looking for. To my point....is Archie basically telling the 2020 in state kids ok we've allowed enough time for you to say yes. This offer is a two way street. We have to recruit others too?? 

To speculate on your speculation, maybe he thinks he farted around too long waiting on Brooks without pursuing other options and has decided not to make that mistake again. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think that will ever happen again even f IU gets back to be great.  Some players just wants to move out of the state and go elsewhere and today there is more options for kids than there were in the past.

I believe.  Too much talent in Indiana and surrounds for IU not be able to shine as before.  All it's going to take is winning seasons.  And that is up to Coach Miller.  He actually did it at a lesser school than IU. No reason to believe he can't do it at IU. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

To speculate on your speculation, maybe he thinks he farted around too long waiting on Brooks without pursuing other options and has decided not to make that mistake again. 

Good point PJ.  Though I would have used a different term  than you.  LOL.    Hey give little Keets a big hug from me. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I believe.  Too much talent in Indiana and surrounds for IU not be able to shine as before.  All it's going to take is winning seasons.  And that is up to Coach Miller.  He actually did it at a lesser school than IU. No reason to believe he can't do it at IU. 

I did not say we wouldn't get nay of the top Indiana kids but to say they will lock down the state is what I was questioning.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not say we wouldn't get nay of the top Indiana kids but to say they will lock down the state is what I was questioning.

He has landed back to back Mr Basketball...we are questioning him only because a kid that didn’t even want to play Indiana HS ball also didn’t want to play for Indiana...hardly surprising honestly. If we are real with ourselves most of the board saw the red flag as soon as he transfered to La Lu....we just tried to convince ourselves it would turn out ok because Archie just walked on water with the Romeo recruitment...but he isn’t a recruiting god...that said I believe he will get his share and he will build a winner...a consistent winner.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He has landed back to back Mr Basketball...we are questioning him only because a kid that didn’t even want to play Indiana HS ball also didn’t want to play for Indiana...hardly surprising honestly. If we are real with ourselves most of the board saw the red flag as soon as he transfered to La Lu....we just tried to convince ourselves it would turn out ok because Archie just walked on water with the Romeo recruitment...but he isn’t a recruiting god...that said I believe he will get his share and he will build a winner...a consistent winner.

I am milehiiu.  AND I endorse this post. 

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Archie Miller, upon becoming IU's head coach, promised IU fans that he would lock up the state of Indiana.

I too question if he said that.  I know he stated an approach to recruiting "inside out".  If he did say exactly "lock up the state", please correct me.

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I too question if he said that.  I know he stated an approach to recruiting "inside out".  If he did say exactly "lock up the state", please correct me.

No. You are correct.  Strictly my own interpretation of his comment.  I promise to do better in the future, and ditch the phrase, and use to one you correctly reminded me of.

Our great friend had a fine article earlier this month on this very topic.

Indiana Basketball: A Lot of Messages in Archie Miller’s Wave of 2020 Offers – The Daily Hoosier

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

No. You are correct.  Strictly my own interpretation of his comment.  I promise to do better in the future, and ditch the phrase, and use to one you correctly reminded me of.

Our great friend had a fine article earlier this month on this very topic.

Indiana Basketball: A Lot of Messages in Archie Miller’s Wave of 2020 Offers – The Daily Hoosier

Good call...kind of a difference there for sure..that said he has certainly had an inside out approach...can’t think of any highly ranked Indians HS kids he hasn’t offered or at least attempted. 3 in 18...3 in 19 (counting Brunk)...and a slew of 20 offers. He has made it a priority it’s clear. That said just like Brooks you can’t predict what they will choose so you then have to go outside the state and offer as well.

Inside out is ideal.  Knight made a living in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.  And in addition to the in-state emphasis, Archie did pull Hunter from Ohio.  Just as Knight, originally from Ohio, might have done back in the day.  Illinois can be tricky but I hope we can pull some guys out of there too.  Peoria, Chicago suburbs, the Catholic schools.  There are opportunities.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Good call...kind of a difference there for sure..that said he has certainly had an inside out approach...can’t think of any highly ranked Indians HS kids he hasn’t offered or at least attempted. 3 in 18...3 in 19 (counting Brunk)...and a slew of 20 offers. He has made it a priority it’s clear. That said just like Brooks you can’t predict what they will choose so you then have to go outside the state and offer as well.

Heck.  Archie even went into enemy territory, and stole a kid out of Lafayette.  Rob P. was the first  IU scholarship player to come out Lafayette, since 1948.  If that's not working the state from inside out. Then, I don't know what is.

Next.  Archie has got to work Northwest Indiana hard.  Dakich came from Merrillville ( Andrean High School).  It's time to snag another from NWI. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Inside out is ideal.  Knight made a living in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.  And in addition to the in-state emphasis, Archie did pull Hunter from Ohio.  Just as Knight, originally from Ohio, might have done back in the day.  Illinois can be tricky but I hope we can pull some guys out of there too.  Peoria, Chicago suburbs, the Catholic schools.  There are opportunities.

I agree with you.  Lot of talent has come out of that area in the past.  But the problem is there are too many high school coaches and handlers,  there with a hand out, expecting it to get filled with green. Major reason, Bruce Weber stayed away, for the most part.  And was vilified for doing so by Illini fans.  Never thought much of BAM as a coach at Illinois. However, his avoidance of the Chicago area was something I could agree with him on. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The problem with Illinois is you have Illinois Missouri and now SLU fighting for those players along with Duke and Northwestern because the elite Illinois kids traditionally love going to Duke or staying close to home.

Guys...winning cures all ills. We start winning on the court we have a young coach, a beautiful diverse campus, and a legendary program with perhaps the loudest and most iconic arena in assembly hall...kids will love to come play here if we just start winning at a high level again. 

Archived