Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

15 hours ago, goonaha said:

SLU was not very good while Calbert was on the staff, and he seemingly has not gotten another job since Crews was fired.

I love Calbert the player and I see him as a great ambassador, but I remember well how another IU star utterly failed as a coach and GM.  I'd have to see a lot more from Calbert to vote for putting him on the bench and I think that was the position he was after.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I love Calbert the player and I see him as a great ambassador, but I remember well how another IU star utterly failed as a coach and GM.  I'd have to see a lot more from Calbert to vote for putting him on the bench and I think that was the position he was after.

As a head coach, has a former IU player or assistant ever won a championship at the college or pro level?

Edit.  Obviously Coach K, but I am looking for a more long term connection than one season.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

As a head coach, has a former IU player or assistant ever won a championship at the college or pro level?

Edit.  Obviously Coach K, but I am looking for a more long term connection than one season.

Well, the other obvious one would be Bob Leonard.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Everett Dean.  Played at IU 1918-1921, head coach at IU 1924-1938, won a national title as the head coach of Stanford in 1942.

Slick Leonard.  Played at IU 1951-54, coached the Pacers to ABA championships in 1970/72/73.

If you want to get technical, Branch McCracken.  Played at IU 1928-30, coached IU to two national titles in 1940 and 1953.

Edit: From what I can tell, closest that any IU-connected NBA coach has come to winning a title was Mike Woodson, when he made the conference semifinals with the Hawks and Knicks.  Lawrence Frank equaled that with the Nets, but he wasn't a player. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In his second year as HC at New Mexico, Steve Alford led the Lobos to their first conference championship in 15 years.  If memory serves correctly, Steve led New Mexico to a second place conference finish in his first season.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he is on campus all the time then what is the hold up with him committing.

My comment was meant to be a joke since he lives in Bloomington with IU being a huge campus.  I am moving to the northwest side of Bloomington this fall, I plan on being in attendance a lot for games

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the point was that he lives in Bloomington, so being 'on campus' is not something that required special effort.

I was not really commenting on the other posters post just thinking that a lot of experts said that if we offered he would commit right away.  Also if he is always over on campus if it is obvious he is interested so I feel like he would already commit.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also if he is always over on campus if it is obvious he is interested so I feel like he would already commit.

The part about him always being on campus was the joke.  Since many people consider "Bloomington" and "Indiana University" as synonymous, the humor/irony is derived from Anthony usually being "in Bloomington". 

I couldn't tell you if he is always in Bloomington and on campus a lot, but that's where the humor WAS derived from. 

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was not really commenting on the other posters post just thinking that a lot of experts said that if we offered he would commit right away.  Also if he is always over on campus if it is obvious he is interested so I feel like he would already commit.

He wanted to meet with academics department and other things that you don’t see by just being on campus. Yes he is on campus pretty often.

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

He wanted to meet with academics department and other things that you don’t see by just being on campus. Yes he is on campus pretty often.

Maybe meet up with another potential recruit and try to help out the home team?? (Loveday)

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

We knew early on that Cody Zeller was interested in business.  And IU arranged for meetings for him at KSOB.   Any idea where Anthony's academic interests lie ?

Thanks for the share. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t see Cincy as a problem. Stanford maybe...even I would have to think twice about that one but Cincy...no no no

Leal has had an OV to Stanford.  Not to be redundant for those in the know, but, Anthony has also been offered by Iowa, Xavier, Northwestern, and  Butler.  And just picked up an offer from Virginia Tech.

Plse coach.  Don't allow this kid to escape.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Leal has had an OV to Stanford.  Not to be redundant for those in the know, but, Anthony has also been offered by Iowa, Xavier, Northwestern, and  Butler.  And just picked up an offer from Virginia Tech.

Plse coach.  Don't allow this kid to escape.

What else can he do...he offered him already....send him a briefcase of money?

Archived