Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

God forbid this kid take the opportunity to see the country and realize the world is a lot bigger than Bloomington. I mean a degree from Stanford, Northwestern, and Virginia Tech are very prestigious and all have wonderful campuses and a lot to offer. I still expect mama Leal to convince him to stay close to home but I can see with the offers he has why he would think it through.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay someone sell me on why we should add this guy to our roster?  I know nothing about him but being a local and scheduling visits to Cincinnati and Stanford.  That along with 5pts tells me he’s not Big Ten worthy and let’s move along folks.  Again, sell me on why we should keep recruiting him?

16 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Okay someone sell me on why we should add this guy to our roster?  I know nothing about him but being a local and scheduling visits to Cincinnati and Stanford.  That along with 5pts tells me he’s not Big Ten worthy and let’s move along folks.  Again, sell me on why we should keep recruiting him?

Do you always make player decisions based on a single game?  May want to slow your roll, Hoosier, unless you're OK with strangers talking similarly about your kid.

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Do you always make player decisions based on a single game?  May want to slow your roll, Hoosier, unless you're OK with strangers talking similarly about your kid.

I wanted you to sell me on why we should add this kid because I know zilch about him.  When I read 5 pts in a single game it sounds alarms but it happens.  Does the kid not have a shot, does he rely on driving to the rim to score, what happened to score only 5?  Tell me about his career avg’s curious to know.  Shooter, driver or just a high basketball IQ kind of guy?  

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I wanted you to sell me on why we should add this kid because I know zilch about him.  When I read 5 pts in a single game it sounds alarms but it happens.  Does the kid not have a shot, does he rely on driving to the rim to score, what happened to score only 5?  Tell me about his career avg’s curious to know.  Shooter, driver or just a high basketball IQ kind of guy?  

Well during the AAU season he averaged around 14 points a game on a winning team

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Leal added five points on just four field goal attempts. Jr. All Stars score 141 on Ky. Didn't play much in the 2nd half the article read.

I have nothing good to say, so I won't say anymore.

The box I saw had him 1-2 from the field and 2-3 from the line.  

Also, for those that may not have seen it, here is the article about the game.  Not much you can gain from the story, other than the fact that, since it was played at jeffersonville, Tre Coleman was going to be featured.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/03/indiana-boys-junior-all-stars-dominate-kentucky/1330834001/

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

He avged 20p a game as a Jr at Bloomington South. That's pretty much all you need to know. He has scored well over 1,000 points in his career. Some stupid All Star game should change absolutely nothing. Tre Coleman scored 20+ in this game and I can promise you, having coached against both, Leal is a much better player. 

Bloom South doesnt play anyone that isn't high IQ. He can do whatever you want offensively. He guards the entire length of the court.. very long and he has really developed in the weight room in the last 1.5 years. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be recruiting him and Galloway both. They can flat out play. 

33 minutes ago, Reacher said:

With the game being a blowout, he didn't play much late and it's very possible he was deferring to some of the other guys just like we saw Romeo do at times. 

yeah he was deferring alright. If this kid wasn't from Btown and his mom wasnt posting here people would be going nuts as to why we are recruiting him. Look no further than the kid from France .

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

SG for 2020, rankings currently by 247 :

82nd overall player, nationally

19th SG in the nation

#1 SG in the state of Indiana

As far as not being Big Ten worthy.  In addition to Indiana, Anthony has been offered by Northwestern, Maryland, and Iowa. They seem to differ with you.

Lastly.  Anthony and Trey Galloway are friends. And talk.  Trey holds offers to two Big Ten teams, that have not offered Anthony, yet.  Package deals are rare these days. But it can happen. 

And plse refer to btownqb's post above.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

yeah he was deferring alright. If this kid wasn't from Btown and his mom wasnt posting here people would be going nuts as to why we are recruiting him. Look no further than the kid from France .

Leal is a stud.. he is absolutely a top 100 player in the country. We will be very happy we took both he and Galloway three years from now. You win those types of kids, period. 

We have 4 scholarships available.

We haven't made the tourney in the last three seasons.

Ummmm....are we really questioning recruiting a top 100 player from Indiana...one we have a decent possibility of signing?

Oh wait....I forgot...he didn't score a lot in an All-Star game.  

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Leal is a stud.. he is absolutely a top 100 player in the country. We will be very happy we took both he and Galloway three years from now. You win those types of kids, period. 

Watching clips of the all star games, those two play well off each other 

11 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Ummmm....are we really questioning recruiting a top 100 player from Indiana...one we have a decent possibility of signing?

Thank you! This is what Archie and the staff do for a living and if they think he is good enough then In good with it! Instead we are basing things off 1 all star game? WOW. 

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

We could not get anyone to come to IU this spring so yeah we need to take him period if he will come. 

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I don't see Leal as an impact player.  I would be surprised if he ever made an All-Conference team.  But, when you give out 11 scholarships (that sounds so much better than 13), you're going to need guys who embrace the team concept.  Does not mean that Anthony will be an end of the bench guy, just that it's doubtful he'll ever be THE guy.  But, he can be a vital cog in a good IU team.

Damon Bailey was a team player at IU.  He wasn't Calbert Cheaney.  He wasn't Alan Henderson.  Heck, he may not even have been Greg Graham.  But, gosh he was super valuable to those IU teams (and I personally think the '92-'93 team was every bit as good as '75-'76) when Henderson was healthy.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see Leal as an impact player.  I would be surprised if he ever made an All-Conference team.  But, when you give out 11 scholarships (that sounds so much better than 13), you're going to need guys who embrace the team concept.  Does not mean that Anthony will be an end of the bench guy, just that it's doubtful he'll ever be THE guy.  But, he can be a vital cog in a good IU team.

Damon Bailey was a team player at IU.  He wasn't Calbert Cheaney.  He wasn't Alan Henderson.  Heck, he may not even have been Greg Graham.  But, gosh he was super valuable to those IU teams (and I personally think the '92-'93 team was every bit as good as '75-'76) when Henderson was healthy.  

He's the 4 year anchor that you augment with with other players.  Are you going to win a national title with 13 players of his caliber? No.  But having 3-4 guys like him that can bring experience, toughness and intelligence doesn't hurt either. 

Archived