Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of starting salaries. IU vs Stanford. I believe one thing that is missing in this discussion,  is the cost of living in California vs Indiana.

As a an example, I have linked below a comparison of cost of living between Indianapolis and Los Angeles.  For instance, in 2019, a salary in Indianapolis of $40K should increase to over $ 80K in Los Angeles.   More than double !

2019 Cost of Living Calculator: compare Indianapolis, Indiana to Los Angeles, California

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

A BS communications degree from Stanford like most basketball players will get really isn’t much more valuable than the same degree from IU (and BS doesn’t stand for Bachelor of Science).

Plenty of 6 figure jobs out their for people with communication degrees. I wouldn’t call that degree BS. 

Is Stanford where all of the people on those house hunter shows went to college?  Because if you can buy a 1.2 miiiiiiiiillion dollar house while the hisband works for a non-profit grub worm protection collective and the wife sharpens colired pencils part time.......I need to figure out how to get into Stanford!!

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

A BS communications degree from Stanford like most basketball players will get really isn’t much more valuable than the same degree from IU (and BS doesn’t stand for Bachelor of Science).

"BS is just what it stands for, an MS is More of the Same, and a PhD is Piled Higher and Deeper.”

— Bobby Knight

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of starting salaries. IU vs Stanford. I believe one thing that is missing in this discussion,  is the cost of living in California vs Indiana.

As a an example, I have linked below a comparison of cost of living between Indianapolis and Los Angeles.  For instance, in 2019, a salary in Indianapolis of $40K should increase to over $ 80K in Los Angeles.   More than double !

2019 Cost of Living Calculator: compare Indianapolis, Indiana to Los Angeles, California

Thanks MIle! Somehow these little tidbits never get factored in.

Whatever you make here in Indiana, you should expect/need at least double that to function in California due to cost of living.  It boilers down to what Leal wants.  Does he want to be the hometown kid like Hulls when he was here or does he want to venture off to Cali as a young kid living his dream of playing college basketball while having the Cali experience.  Very hard decision IMO.  If it was down to say Indiana or Ohio State or Cincy well no way I'd choose those two over IU.  I for one hope he chooses IU. 

This is a little silly...  I'm glad we're all proud of our Indiana degrees.  But IU isn't in the same stratosphere as Stanford.  It beats the Ivy League, while avoiding much of the east coast snobbery that goes with it.  Starting salary out of college is one thing.  What about acceptance into a grad program?  What about the simple value of the education itself, beyond earning capacity?  Frankly I think it's disingenuous for anyone to try to equate an Indiana degree to a Stanford degree.  Makes it seem like you need to get out more.  

Yes, if the Stanford grad wants to stay in California, then the cost of living in a 600 sq ft efficiency apartment would get you a 5 bedroom house on two acres in Indiana.  You know why?  Because more people want to live there than here for... reasons.  So while the cost per square foot may be higher, that's not to say that the quality of life costs more.  You're basically paying to be a part of that world.  Very subjective, of course.  

Also, when speaking of Stanford, it's hard to really just group it in with "California."  You are in the Bay Area, which is its own world and own climate and own thing separate from the SoCal thing.  And just the same you have access to all the parks, ocean, fishing, sailing, Pacific Coast Highway, wineries, mountains, cheap flights up to Seattle/Portland.  

NOW, I'm not going to take anything from Bloomington.  My 20 year plan has me moving there.  It is probably my favorite place to be, and I'm decently well-traveled.  The town is excellent.  The Lake.  Lots of parks and green space and trails.  Gems like Nashville, Paoli, French Lick, even Madison are close.  The Big Ten sports in town.  Shows coming in to IU Auditorium.  And just the general life that comes with a big college town.  All while being 100% Indiana, which of course I love.  

Maaaan, what a tangent.  I hope the best for young Anthony.  He's earned himself some amazing opportunities.  

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Whatever you make here in Indiana, you should expect/need at least double that to function in California due to cost of living.  It boilers down to what Leal wants.  Does he want to be the hometown kid like Hulls when he was here or does he want to venture off to Cali as a young kid living his dream of playing college basketball while having the Cali experience.  Very hard decision IMO.  If it was down to say Indiana or Ohio State or Cincy well no way I'd choose those to over IU.  I for one hope he chooses IU. 

Yup.  This is one of the rare situations where a player is making a decision that hinges as much (or more) on academics as it does basketball. It kind of removes some of the control, for lack of a better word, that CAM has in this recruitment.

23 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

This is a little silly...  I'm glad we're all proud of our Indiana degrees.  But IU isn't in the same stratosphere as Stanford.  It beats the Ivy League, while avoiding much of the east coast snobbery that goes with it.  Starting salary out of college is one thing.  What about acceptance into a grad program?  What about the simple value of the education itself, beyond earning capacity?

Frankly I think it's disingenuous for anyone to try to equate an Indiana degree to a Stanford degree.  Makes it seem like you need to get out more.  

Yes, if the Stanford grad wants to stay in California, then the cost of living in a 600 sq ft efficiency apartment would get you a 5 bedroom house on two acres in Indiana.  You know why?  Because more people want to live there than here for... reasons.  So while the cost per square foot may be higher, that's not to say that the quality of life costs more.  You're basically paying to be a part of that world.  Very subjective, of course.  

Also, when speaking of Stanford, it's hard to really just group it in with "California."  You are in the Bay Area, which is its own world and own climate and own thing separate from the SoCal thing.  And just the same you have access to all the parks, ocean, fishing, sailing, Pacific Coast Highway, wineries, mountains, cheap flights up to Seattle/Portland.  

NOW, I'm not going to take anything from Bloomington.  My 20 year plan has me moving there.  It is probably my favorite place to be, and I'm decently well-traveled.  The town is excellent.  The Lake.  Lots of parks and green space and trails.  Gems like Nashville, Paoli, French Lick, even Madison are close.  The Big Ten sports in town.  Shows coming in to IU Auditorium.  And just the general life that comes with a big college town.  All while being 100% Indiana, which of course I love.  

Maaaan, what a tangent.  I hope the best for young Anthony.  He's earned himself some amazing opportunities.  

My initial point was, while I understand the value provided by a degree from Stanford University, I also understand it would be the equivalent of basketball purgatory for a highly recruited kid.

4,000 people per game? Best players ever the Lopez brothers? Televised games starting at 10 pm for my friends and loved ones?

I'm sorry. Try as I might, if I'm a kid in love with basketball, I want the BEST college basketball experience, and as "silly" as it is to compare degrees from the two schools, it's 10X sillier to compare the basketball experience at the 2. 

That was the initial point.

Just as a side note, I'm just wondering about this statement...

"What about the simple value of the education itself, beyond earning capacity?"

Not really sure what other measurable can be applied here...prestige?

We have a saying in Colorado : "Don't Californicate Colorado."  It's been this way for years, but for the past couple of years has gotten worse. Month by month.

53 percent of Californians want to leave the state, according to new survey - SFGate

SF in the mountains: People who left the Bay Area for Denver have few regrets - SFGate

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Indiana fans should rightfully feel confident here. But, nothing is set in stone. 

Stanford is Stanford. 

We'll see what happens. I don't know if he is in a huge rush but I've always thought (and said as much) that I expected some movement in August from a host of IU targets. Perhaps Leal is one of them. 

Hope so. Really want the first one to say yes so we can get the ball rolling.

4 hours ago, Stromboli said:

It beats the Ivy League, while avoiding much of the east coast snobbery that goes with it. 

I don't know about this. I have a daughter who got into Stanford and a host of Ivy League schools. She ended up in the Ivies and it wasn't THAT close for her. 

I think it comes down to what he sees himself doing down the line.  If he wants to play ball, play professionally even if overseas, come back, settle into coaching, etc, then there is no legitimate reason to go to Stanford.

However, if he were thinking that way, I don't think he'd be down to Stanford and IU.  It might be IU and Lousiville or Cincinnati or whatever.

The US has lots of innovation and technology.  But that's not really enough as there are inventors and smart people anywhere in the world. However, the US has the best and most advanced system of matching financing with new ideas and businesses.  The combination of innovation and financing is what sets us apart.  One of the best assets the US has is the continual refreshing of the marketplace with new companies, ideas, etc.  Europe is like at a standstill compared to us.   We are much more dynamic.  

If this is what interests Mr. Leal, Stanford is at the center of all this cutting-edge activity.  Business, technology, innovation, financing, it's all there.  Venture capitalists, start-up companies, entrepreneurs.  

Bottom line if he has a path in mind where he plays ball, gets a Stanford education, and then puts ball on his resume with Stanford to get into the Silicon Valley economy, then his choice is that direction.  I'd personally have a hard time saying no to all that.  Based on the fact that he's down to IU and Stanford, I would not be shocked at all if that's on his mind.  

I am not going to blame him for going to Stanford, not one bit.  I wish him well with his decision.

Meh...went to USI school of business and live in Indiana.  Just looked it up...with my four-year degree and a couple of professional designations I got on my own time, I make right at the top of  the range for graduates of Stanford's graduate school of business.  A certain school's degree can help some, but performance matters a lot more.  If Leal loves Indiana, he'll have all the success and opportunity he needs and then some playing for and graduating from IU.

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Bingo!

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Meh...went to USI school of business and live in Indiana.  Just looked it up...with my four-year degree and a couple of professional designations I got on my own time, I make right at the top of  the range for graduates of Stanford's graduate school of business.  A certain school's degree can help some, but performance matters a lot more.  If Leal loves Indiana, he'll have all the success and opportunity he needs and then some playing for and graduating from IU.

I agree 100% with this above, I went to USI as well.

If it’s a basketball decision I think it will become pretty clear. If it’s a degree decision then that will come down to what he and his family thinks is best. There is pluses for either school. Who knows it could be he is tired of mamas meatloaf (despite how tasty) and he wants to get out on his own. Lots of things to decide. I think the lure of playing with friends and in front of family wins out. 

Archived