Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Why is cost of living being brought into a scholarship discussion? If he chooses Stanford, it doesn't mean he's staying in CA,and his cost of living is paid for while he's playing.

If a kid like Anthony chooses Stanford over us, I can live with that.

The cost of living equation was brought into the discussion as a result of the comparison of a starting salary out of Stanford vs that of IU, upon graduation. And a reason as to why, Anthony might choose Stanford over IU.  Also, it was presented as a way to show that each school was attendant to the needs of the majority of their graduates in terms of being able to make a living in a state they most likely would be first employed in. 

Of course. Anthony can choose between the two schools for his own reasons.  The cost of living comparison was  also brought into the equation to show that the starting salaries out of those two schools really did not matter in terms of Anthony, but rather the average graduate of each school.

At least. That was my intent for bringing the cost of living comparison into the discussion, since it seemed to me that it was unfair to compare the average starting salaries out of those two schools as a reason for Anthony choosing Stanford over IU.

51 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Why is cost of living being brought into a scholarship discussion? If he chooses Stanford, it doesn't mean he's staying in CA,and his cost of living is paid for while he's playing.

If a kid like Anthony chooses Stanford over us, I can live with that.

Sorry....no way. If a kid from South chooses Stanford.... I'll wish him well...but it would make as much sense to me as a kid like Keion choosing UK when he's going to be 9th in the rotation. 

While college educations are obviously important.....I would say many are choosing alternate routes in life.  2019 economy doesn't always require a degree. My neighbor's son goes around and buys high end items that have been donated to Goodwill and resells. Buys for $5 sells for $25. Different world today. No need to always say you went to college.

I have  been on both campuses- both are beautiful. Stanford is a much more urban school and the entire area is high energy, congested and a 180 change from Bloomington. Some kids look forward to making that change and some feel more comfortable with the familiar.

My point being that there are numerous variables that could be the deciding factor for Anthony. I am not going to try to dissect every possible aspect of what he is considering. What I do believe is that he has been brought up by two parents that have done an excellent job of raising a level headed kid. His decision will be based on a logical process and not influenced by outside noise. 

Good luck, Anthony in whatever you decide. Would love you to come to IU, but more importantly, want you to make the decision that is best for you 

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU can take both Galloway and Leal.  They can't take Galloway, Leal, AND Matt Cross.  If Cross is close to a decision, Leal may want to consider acting first.

I was kinda thinking the same thing...I thought maybe another big, like Garcia since I guess the Loveday Boat has sailed...

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The cost of living equation was brought into the discussion as a result of the comparison of a starting salary out of Stanford vs that of IU, upon graduation. And a reason as to why, Anthony might choose Stanford over IU.  Also, it was presented as a way to show that each school was attendant to the needs of the majority of their graduates in terms of being able to make a living in a state they most likely would be first employed in. 

Of course. Anthony can choose between the two schools for his own reasons.  The cost of living comparison was  also brought into the equation to show that the starting salaries out of those two schools really did not matter in terms of Anthony, but rather the average graduate of each school.

At least. That was my intent for bringing the cost of living comparison into the discussion, since it seemed to me that it was unfair to compare the average starting salaries out of those two schools as a reason for Anthony choosing Stanford over IU.

I'm going to assume that the dispersal of Stanford grads upon graduation is higher than a normal university. Meaning that the average starting salary is going to reflect a broader range of living areas.

And even if the average isn't, the ability to do so is higher. A Stanford degree is going to command a high average starting salary relative to the area (normalizing cost of living).

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm going to assume that the dispersal of Stanford grads upon graduation is higher than a normal university. Meaning that the average starting salary is going to reflect a broader range of living areas.

And even if the average isn't, the ability to do so is higher. A Stanford degree is going to command a high average starting salary relative to the area (normalizing cost of living).

Got to say that if the only consideration is academics. That Stanford is hands down the choice for a 4.3 out of state student.

Fortunately.  There is more to the equation than just academics.

Still.  Trying to figure out. Why.  Standford offered before IU.  And how much that could be the reason they are still in the running. And even worse. If the scale gets tipped in their favor in the end because of the early offer. I hope not. And I hope Galloway's commitment offsets IU's later offer to Anthony. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Got to say that if the only consideration is academics. That Stanford is hands down the choice for a 4.3 out of state student.

Fortunately.  There is more to the equation than just academics.

Still.  Trying to figure out. Why.  Standford offered before IU.  And how much that could be the reason they are still in the running. And even worse. If the scale gets tipped in their favor in the end because of the early offer. I hope not. And I hope Galloway's commitment offsets IU's later offer to Anthony. 

I definitely wouldnt consider our offer late.  I thought it was still a little early.. this class in general is pretty weak. I want Leal at IU, but he isnt a kid that's an automatic offer.  Galloway and Leal are nice pieces to the puzzle, if they are content to earn their time.  Which in my opinion may be more of the issue, probably more immediate playing time at Stanford

30 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I definitely wouldnt consider our offer late.  I thought it was still a little early.. this class in general is pretty weak. I want Leal at IU, but he isnt a kid that's an automatic offer.  Galloway and Leal are nice pieces to the puzzle, if they are content to earn their time.  Which in my opinion may be more of the issue, probably more immediate playing time at Stanford

I’m pretty positive Leal stated d he is ok with staying and earning his time. If he shoots it well my guess would be he sees the floor early 

Just now, hoosier_exotics said:

Here's the thing as far as I am concerned in terms of the timing of the offers.  Stanford offered October 2018.  IU offered April 2019.  IU's offer to a home town kid should have preceded  any other school, IMHO. But that's just me. As I know, Archie and the gang were keeping a close eye on Anthony all along. Just think, as my very first post in this thread, that an IU offer should have come long before it did. And again. I think back to Crean's offer to De'Ron Davis.  An out of stater.  In the end. De'Ron paid Coach Crean off due to loyalty by being offered. In fact. De'Ron talked about it when he committed to IU. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Here's the thing as far as I am concerned in terms of the timing of the offers.  Stanford offered October 2018.  IU offered April 2019.  IU's offer to a home town kid should have preceded  any other school, IMHO. But that's just me. As I know, Archie and the gang were keeping a close eye on Anthony all along. Just think, as my very first post in this thread, that an IU offer should have come long before it did. And again. I think back to Crean's offer to De'Ron Davis.  An out of stater.  In the end. De'Ron paid Coach Crean off due to loyalty by being offered. In fact. De'Ron talked about it when he committed to IU. 

I understand what you are saying, and I dont disagree with your thoughts...  but the staff has to be 100% that a kid can contribute or fit. Especially a local kid in your back yard... whats worse, a well thought out later  offer, or a kid leaving because he never sees the floor?  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry....no way. If a kid from South chooses Stanford.... I'll wish him well...but it would make as much sense to me as a kid like Keion choosing UK when he's going to be 9th in the rotation. 

While college educations are obviously important.....I would say many are choosing alternate routes in life.  2019 economy doesn't always require a degree. My neighbor's son goes around and buys high end items that have been donated to Goodwill and resells. Buys for $5 sells for $25. Different world today. No need to always say you went to college.

Wish I could "like" this a thousand times...….

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IU can take both Galloway and Leal.  They can't take Galloway, Leal, AND Matt Cross.  If Cross is close to a decision, Leal may want to consider acting first.

Why can't they take all 3 because it sounds like Cross can play a stretch 4 and he reminds me of Brian Cardinal.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wouldn’t a Bloomington kid choosing Stanford over IU be the alternative route??? I hope we aren’t comparing having no degree and selling second hand junk is in any way comparable to the opportunity of a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the country or even IU and the doors and jobs that could open up. I think it’s great some kids are hustling and making a living but really do they think that is a lasting life plan...one that will provide security to raise a family? If so...good luck....but if that opportunity runs out I hope they have some other skills to fall back on.

9 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in. 

I am still of the belief that Matt Cross and Anthony Leal are later August / early September decisions. 

The staff is more than open and would like to take both. This has always been fashioned as a 4-man class whereas the 2021 class will be a 3-man class. Obviously, recruiting is fluid and things can change. But, that seems to be where things are at this moment in my opinion. 

Anthony Leal has two amazing options in front of him. Matt Cross has legit, legit coaching staffs that are courting him. Both of these players are in great spots. Here's to hoping they pick Indiana. 

As for the 4th spot, it will get really interesting to see what the staff does. On a complete hypothetical, do they continue to push for a lead guard and hope to hit one of Love, Steward or Davis? Or, do they hunt Loveday with an eye to redshirting him? 

I'm very interested to see their next moves and the butterfly effects of the Leal and Cross decisions when the time comes. 

Coach, I was under the impression from what I've read that Louisville will be really, really hard to beat for Loveday. That's why I mentioned Garcia as more of a big man option for IU. Wrong thinking? And which kid do you think is the better option for IU?

I know we've been pursuing a pg pretty hard for the 2020 class. There is a lot of cross over with Leal and Galloway's game...even some into Cross's although he he is more a tweener 3/4 then the smaller Leal/Galloway. Given the makeup of our team it would seem PG and C are two pretty high priorities. Do we go the grad transfer route with those...worked out well with getting Brunk but I'd hate to lose Davis, TJD, Smith, and Brunk and go into 21 with no proven bigs. I think we need to continue developing a big because we look to be real thin up front in 21. The point guard spot I think we can probably get by in 20 with Durham and Armaan helping out but God forbid Rob get hurt. 21 hopefully we land Lander and we benefit from having him for a couple years so we can groom a replacement in 22 and beyond. I just get real nervous going into a season with 1 true pg....we've seen too many injuries derail a good season. Personally I would love to take 3 in 2020 if we can land a good big to go with the wings we are on. I personally would rather take 4 in 21 than 4 in 20. Lander, Kaufman, and Furst being the targets and leaving an open scholly for someone like Terrence Clarke or another high value target who could reclassify or would likely be a late commit. I like having that 1 scholarship open because you just never know what can happen with some of these 5 star kids.

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in. 

I am still of the belief that Matt Cross and Anthony Leal are later August / early September decisions. 

The staff is more than open and would like to take both. This has always been fashioned as a 4-man class whereas the 2021 class will be a 3-man class. Obviously, recruiting is fluid and things can change. But, that seems to be where things are at this moment in my opinion. 

Anthony Leal has two amazing options in front of him. Matt Cross has legit, legit coaching staffs that are courting him. Both of these players are in great spots. Here's to hoping they pick Indiana. 

As for the 4th spot, it will get really interesting to see what the staff does. On a complete hypothetical, do they continue to push for a lead guard and hope to hit one of Love, Steward or Davis? Or, do they hunt Loveday with an eye to redshirting him? 

I'm very interested to see their next moves and the butterfly effects of the Leal and Cross decisions when the time comes. 

With the 21 class being loaded in state why not take 2-3 in 20 and save scholarships for the loaded 21 class...or does CAM only have a realistic shot at 3?...again thanks for the info.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

With the 21 class being loaded in state why not take 2-3 in 20 and save scholarships for the loaded 21 class...or does CAM only have a realistic shot at 3?...again thanks for the info.

I think we have a good shot at several in Indiana in 21...that isn't even looking outside the state. Maybe he thinks there will be another transfer or two. Seems to be pretty common in college basketball. If that is the case I get it...I think the more Indiana kids you have the less likely a transfer and possibly more stability...but I like having that open scholarship.

8 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I've been trying to mentally reconcile the same thing...why load up on a class perceived as a lot weaker?  I understand it's Indiana vs nationally but still...if you really have an inside out philosophy, why not save a scholarship for 2021?

Archived