Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Sorry if I’ve missed this before but why do you say this?  

Several reasons, but two that are public knowledge are:

• His AAU team is Nike affiliated, not Adidas.
  • IU simply does not land the top recruits from the Ft. Wayne area.

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I can dive in later on the 2020 vs 2021 thing. It’s not an argument. There are a lot of points to be made and a lot of merit to a host of ideas. 

And my personal belief and understanding of the situation could change in five minutes for all I know. 

Would love to hear your take on the "why" at some point.  I'm patient but curious.

I do realize that it's possible to IU to save a scholarship and have it go unfilled anyway.  I'm just not completely sold on the idea of filling all 13, but I understand Archie's mindset could have changed a lot there given the injuries he dealt with last year.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've been trying to mentally reconcile the same thing...why load up on a class perceived as a lot weaker?  I understand it's Indiana vs nationally but still...if you really have an inside out philosophy, why not save a scholarship for 2021?

I believe the wings Galloway and Leal are better than the wings in 21. I could.be wrong though. Obviously Kaufman and Lander are the prizes. Surely they'd both be intrigued with playing with Leal and Galloway all coming from IE. 

But wait.. we have 7 more scholarships available for 2020 and 2021 combined. That's plenty of flexibility.. am I overlooking something? We could add Leal and Cross.... Kaufman, Lander, plus have 3 more left. There'd be no guarantee we get a third year out of TJD either.. so we could have 6 spots for 2021. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I believe the wings Galloway and Leal are better than the wings in 21. I could.be wrong though. Obviously Kaufman and Lander are the prizes. Surely they'd both be intrigued with playing with Leal and Galloway all coming from IE. 

But wait.. we have 7 more scholarships available for 2020 and 2021 combined. That's plenty of flexibility.. am I overlooking something? We could add Leal and Cross.... Kaufman, Lander, plus have 3 more left. There'd be no guarantee we get a third year out of TJD either.. so we could have 6 spots for 2021. 

I agree you keep recruiting because you never know who might come in and paly great and leave a lot earlier than expected.  Most know I work with Aaron Henry's father and he has been telling people that this probably be his last year at MSU.  Nobody thought Henry would be a kid who would come in and leave after two years but it might just happen.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I agree you keep recruiting because you never know who might come in and paly great and leave a lot earlier than expected.  Most know I work with Aaron Henry's father and he has been telling people that this probably be his last year at MSU.  Nobody thought Henry would be a kid who would come in and leave after two years but it might just happen.

Like as in go pro?

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope not....but to each their own I guess. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

This 2020 class to me is the epitome of Knight's last time he cared about recruiting. Hornsby, Coverdale, Newton, Fife, Moye,etc...guys that have talent but not enough to leave early. I'll echo what I said earlier in the week. This is the class where we get 4 very good players who understand they actually will have to unpack their bags in Bloomington for a few years and we'll finally get the benefit as fans of a veteran type team peppered with OAD in 2021/2022/2023

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've been trying to mentally reconcile the same thing...why load up on a class perceived as a lot weaker?  I understand it's Indiana vs nationally but still...if you really have an inside out philosophy, why not save a scholarship for 2021?

Yea,maybe im greedy and just want to win with Indiana players..i know that CAM cant get them all ,but outside the obvious (Lander,Furst,Kaufman)I would hope of getting a Goode,JR or some of the others from that class...and im ok with the Fact if Furst is not going to be an option when its all said and done.

I would say I want Leal more than Matt Cross, but I won't pass on either of them.  At that point, you have to go for some height as Cross is a little short for the front line.  I would let Cross be the 4th scholarship for 2020 and while he's a very nice player, it wouldn't break my heart of he said no.  I'd rather have a Dawson Garcia or maybe even Loveday.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I would say I want Leal more than Matt Cross, but I won't pass on either of them.  At that point, you have to go for some height as Cross is a little short for the front line.  I would let Cross be the 4th scholarship for 2020 and while he's a very nice player, it wouldn't break my heart of he said no.  I'd rather have a Dawson Garcia or maybe even Loveday.

If we’re taking 4, I think my ideal 2020 class would be Galloway, Leal, RJ Davis, and one of Garcia/Loveday.  Would be nicely balanced with a guard, two wings, and a big.  And Leal and Davis would also bring some much-needed shooting.

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Yea,maybe im greedy and just want to win with Indiana players..i know that CAM cant get them all ,but outside the obvious (Lander,Furst,Kaufman)I would hope of getting a Goode,JR or some of the others from that class...and im ok with the Fact if Furst is not going to be an option when its all said and done.

Goode is from Ft Wayne as is Furst. There is an opinion that IU can’t recruit the Summit City. I am not sure that is accurate, but if it is, we need to change that.

The last major recruits to come from Ft Wayne were Biggie, who was raised by Roosevelt Barnes, a former Purdue athlete and Deshaun Thomas. Thomas was in the midst of the period when Crean had pretty much blown off most of the state’s high school coaches. Don’t think IU had a chance with either so hate to generalize that we can’t recruit the area. I am not convinced that these kids are not going to give IU serious consideration. I think that the upcoming season will be integral in moving the needle either towards or away from CAM

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Goode is from Ft Wayne as is Furst. There is an opinion that IU can’t recruit the Summit City. I am not sure that is accurate, but if it is, we need to change that.

The last major recruits to come from Ft Wayne were Biggie, who was raised by Roosevelt Barnes, a former Purdue athlete and Deshaun Thomas. Thomas was in the midst of the period when Crean had pretty much blown off most of the state’s high school coaches. Don’t think IU had a chance with either so hate to generalize that we can’t recruit the area. I am not convinced that these kids are not going to give IU serious consideration. I think that the upcoming season will be integral in moving the needle either towards or away from CAM

TBF, Blackmon played for Bishop Luers his first three years.

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Fort Wayne simply is not IU territory.  Archie very well may change that at some point.  I just don't think it will be with Furst.  I'll go so far as to say Goode, while still a long shot, is more likely to end up at IU than Furst.

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'm pretty sure when Thomas committed to OSU that Sampson was our coach.  Don't think Crean had anything to do with that.

38 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm pretty sure when Thomas committed to OSU that Sampson was our coach.  Don't think Crean had anything to do with that.

You are correct, other than the names already mentioned the only other Ft.Wayne player to IU that I can think of is John Flowers..but he didn't stick around

16 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

You are correct, other than the names already mentioned the only other Ft.Wayne player to IU that I can think of is John Flowers..but he didn't stick around

Decker was from Auburn which is almost a FW suburb. 

James Hardy 

Going way back, Tom Bolyard

Tracey Foster

I think it’s a long shot to get kids from up north interested in IU until we make IU “sexy” again. Win...and win a lot with an exciting brand of basketball that lands kids in the NBA and kids will line up to come. At this point IU is just another school for kids in that region...and well behind say MSU and Michigan. Bring the excitement back and kids will be drawn here.

Archived