Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it’s a long shot to get kids from up north interested in IU until we make IU “sexy” again. Win...and win a lot with an exciting brand of basketball that lands kids in the NBA and kids will line up to come. At this point IU is just another school for kids in that region...and well behind say MSU and Michigan. Bring the excitement back and kids will be drawn here.

You mean like guys like RP, Anderson and Galloway who is from the north part of the state

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean like guys like RP, Anderson and Galloway who is from the north part of the state

I’m more speaking 5* talent. Yes they are great gets but I’m talking the elite talents that have gone out of state or to Purdue. (Glenn Robinson’s/Zach Randolph’s etc)  Mostly I’m just saying if we want to have our pick of any kid from South to North in the state we simply need to get IU back to that elite level...and that won’t happen without winning.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Football.  So, I would not count him for this exercise, which is our success in recruiting basketball players.

This is technically true,  but he was being recruiting more as a basketball player,  and we were lucky he had so much untapped potential as a football player.  Saved us a basketball scholarship  that year when basketball recruiting was going well.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve heard it’s his granny. Indeed...need highlight tapes out of Assembly Hall lol.

Makes sense. Granny.  Name fits.  Thanks. 

Wow.  Mom has posted on HSN.  And granny has done vids on You Tube.  I think both are great. 

I remember years ago,  there was nothing like social media.  And I and HTD, as well as others,  waited till August to get magazines to find out who IU had as new commits coming in.  We never knew who Coach Knight was chasing. Till the mags hit the news stands.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Makes sense. Granny.  Name fits.  Thanks. 

Wow.  Mom has posted on HSN.  And granny has done vids on You Tube.  I think both are great. 

I remember years ago,  there was nothing like social media.  And I and HTD, as well as others,  waited till August to get magazines to find out who IU had as new commits coming in.  We never knew who Coach Knight was chasing. Till the mags hit the news stands.

Inside Indiana was my dads go to. Provides box scores and other great stuff

31 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Inside Indiana was my dads go to. Provides box scores and other great stuff

Oh yeah.  I was thinking of the national mags. However, looked forward to Inside Indiana as well.  I could be wrong. But I am thinking that the late great Terry Hutchins, along with John Decker of Scout's Hoosier Nation, Pete Diprimo, and Doug Wilson,  were early contributors to Inside Indiana. It  was difficult to find in Colorado.

So many reasons why I love HSN and the internet, now .

Thanks Coach. For the reminder. Good stuff.

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh yeah.  I was thinking of the national mags. However, looked forward to Inside Indiana as well.  I could be wrong. But I am thinking that the late great Terry Hutchins, along with John Decker of Scout's Hoosier Nation, Pete Diprimo, and Doug Wilson,  were early contributors to Inside Indiana. It  was difficult to find in Colorado.

So many reasons why I love HSN and the internet, now .

Thanks Coach. For the reminder. Good stuff.

I use to subscribed to Inside Indiana because it was great for recruiting coverage.  It use to have 5 or 6 pages just on recruiting and had in depth coverage of all the recruits we were going after.  Then they started to really cut back on recruiting and that was when I stopped my subscription because I already watch every game so I did not need to read about game coverage.

Back when newspapers still had a life....Courier/Journal out of Louisville had some of the best recruiting articles each week covering UK/UL/IU. This was around 2006/2007. I do miss picking up magazines or papers. There was something calming about it. As I type I can't tell you the last paper or magazine I bought. Maybe the IndyStar on 500 Sunday so I could cut up the drivers for our pool at the track.

This is great. My dad used to leave the sports section of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette by my cereal bowl before he left for work. At one point I could tell you every basketball state champ, Mr. Basketball,  Indy winner, Heisman trophy winner,  etc. Had local and state info so you could keep up with potential recruits. Terrific memories. 

Archived