Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I used to buy 5-6 college badketball preview magazines every year.  And I would read every one cover to cover.  The Sporting News was always my favorite. Now I buy only one a year (normally Athlon) and skim more than read.

Now when people come to my door to sell magazine subscriptions, I chase them off with a stick. I would rather use a rolled up magazine or newspaper but I couldn't find any in the house.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Back when newspapers still had a life....Courier/Journal out of Louisville had some of the best recruiting articles each week covering UK/UL/IU. This was around 2006/2007. I do miss picking up magazines or papers. There was something calming about it. As I type I can't tell you the last paper or magazine I bought. Maybe the IndyStar on 500 Sunday so I could cut up the drivers for our pool at the track.

So true.  While in High School in the mid 1970's in central Indiana I happened to look at a copy of the LCJ and was blown away with how much coverage they had of Indiana H. S. and college sports.  Now the local "newspaper" is little more than a carrier of wire service info.  I remember when they even printed little league results...

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I used to buy 5-6 college badketball preview magazines every year.  And I would read every one cover to cover.  The Sporting News was always my favorite. Now I buy only one a year (normally Athlon) and skim more than read.

I use to buy 2 or 3 every fall and I would read everything as well even about the low D1 teams.  At first my favorite was Street & Smith because it was the first I found that had recruiting in it.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I use to buy 2 or 3 every fall and I would read everything as well even about the low D1 teams.  At first my favorite was Street & Smith because it was the first I found that had recruiting in it.

I still buy Athlon and Lindy's.  I like that they have rosters I can refer to when watching teams I don't normally watch.  

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I still buy Athlon and Lindy's.  I like that they have rosters I can refer to when watching teams I don't normally watch.  

I just don't buy them any longer especially since they cost around $10.00.  When I first start buying them I think they were $3.99.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't buy them any longer especially since they cost around $10.00.  When I first start buying them I think they were $3.99.

Yep...I stop buying gas because when I first started buying it was 79 cents a gallon. Lol u sound so old Scott! Lol

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...I stop buying gas because when I first started buying it was 79 cents a gallon. Lol u sound so old Scott! Lol

Well gas is a need and those magazines are a want so you have to to pick what is important.  I just don't need to pay $10.00 for a magazine when I know a lot of the stuff that is in the magazine already

7 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is great. My dad used to leave the sports section of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette by my cereal bowl before he left for work. At one point I could tell you every basketball state champ, Mr. Basketball,  Indy winner, Heisman trophy winner,  etc. Had local and state info so you could keep up with potential recruits. Terrific memories. 

I think that is a great memory.  Only in Indiana.  And thanks for sharing with us.  I love it !

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well gas is a need and those magazines are a want so you have to to pick what is important.  I just don't need to pay $10.00 for a magazine when I know a lot of the stuff that is in the magazine already

It’s all good just my poor attempt at age humor. 

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

$0.79? Whippersnapper. 

I only have faint memories of the dinosaurs and I've seen $0.499 

I just remember driving around all evening cruising with your friends and trying to pick up chicks. Now days no kid could afford that...probably why the just sext lol. Of course I also only charged like $5 to push mow yards and now grown men make a living at it charging a fortune. 

As for the magazines I don’t remember buying any of those... since my dad worked in Bloomington I would always ask for a poster/calendar for my room with all the players on it. The sporting news was always purchased once a week during baseball season so me and my friends at school could tally up scores for our fantasy baseball....yes before the Internet...who could know if we would have started a website etc after school I could be rich now lol.

I have lurked for a long time and I enjoy recruiting. I am not someone that usually even posts hence the low total. I was talking with one of his close relatives last week (work in the same facility) and they told me that he has always been a Michigan fan. His whole room is Michigan stuff. Once the offer for Michigan came in that it is very likely that is where he would go. They did say he is not committed though. 

12 minutes ago, IUAndy said:

I have lurked for a long time and I enjoy recruiting. I am not someone that usually even posts hence the low total. I was talking with one of his close relatives last week (work in the same facility) and they told me that he has always been a Michigan fan. His whole room is Michigan stuff. Once the offer for Michigan came in that it is very likely that is where he would go. They did say he is not committed though. 

Anthony Leal is a Michigan fan...?

42 minutes ago, IUAndy said:

Is this post in he correct thread? I have not heard that and believe he narrowed it down to IU and Stanford

Is this info for Lander???

REALLY hoping we get this guy. He’s the #1 guy I wanted. Indiana guy, with great character, great work ethic, and talented. He’s the type of guy i’d love to see IU build a team around. I have a feeling he's going to be an absolute stud in college. Glad to see we’ll know sooner rather than later.... and this wont be drawn out.

I’m cautiously confident that he’ll commit to IU, but if we lose to Stanford, so be it. I’ll be really disappointed....but ok with that. Stanford's a good school, and I feel like their bball team plays by the rules. 

Either way, I was impressed by how he, and his family, handled his recruitment. 

Best of luck, Anthony!! (but please, please, please.. pick IU...lol)

Archived