Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T-Free20 said:

Someone on Twitter replied to @CoachSS's tweet and said a source close to the family confirmed he is picking Stanford.

Not saying he's right or wrong, but I don't believe anything has been said or leaked indicating that to be the case, right?

I am not going to lose sleep if he goes elsewhere but I am also not going to take a word from some random person on twitter.  I don't think family members will go out of there way to tell people before the announcement and let it get out to the public.  I still think he will be a Hoosier because it is to much to pass up on the basketball side of the equation.

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the tough one. Daniels usually waits to guarantee time. We'll see. I'll cover both sides of the conversation. Would welcome a kid like this at IU all day long. If we miss...it's simply not a good look. Same way it wasn't a good look when Archie came in for RP and Damezi from Painter in less than 90 days.

If he picks Stanford, I'm not sure that would really reflect poorly on IU or the coaching staff. Stanford is a unique situation. Probably the top academic institution that offers athletic scholarships. Now, if he went to Purdue, OSU or Louisville that would look really bad. That said, I hope he stays home.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not going to lose sleep if he goes elsewhere but I am also not going to take a word from some random person on twitter.  I don't think family members will go out of there way to tell people before the announcement and let it get out to the public.  I still think he will be a Hoosier because it is to much to pass up on the basketball side of the equation.

Who is this mysterious random person? 

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If he picks Stanford, I'm not sure that would really reflect poorly on IU or the coaching staff. Stanford is a unique situation. Probably the top academic institution that offers athletic scholarships. Now, if he went to Purdue, OSU or Louisville that would look really bad. That said, I hope he stays home.

IU is very, very unique in this sense. We have dozens of players around the state where the coach HAS to offer them or it's perceived as an issue. Crean faced it. Davis certainly did. It's a catch 22 for our Coach. We offer because of pressure but in turn if we offer and the kid still says no it suggests our staff doesn't have the right stuff. No win situation.

Again...all of this is for the sake of conversation. Hope the kid chooses IU but very, very few if any High Major Coaches have to deal with the local pressure that an IU coach does. Glad that we have plenty of options in 21. As someone else suggested we can afford a miss (IF that happens) in 20. 

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Thanks for posting. I don't buy what this guy's selling 

Whether he goes to IU or not, there are so many trolls these days, it's over the top. We also have our (unique) share of bitter fans from the Knight era. Today's problems. 🤡

10 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Thanks for posting. I don't buy what this guy's selling 

Agreed. Who is this guy, anyway ?  So many trolls on the net today..

I checked. Not one word on Stanford athletic sites, about Anthony. They are all about football.   They don't even know who Anthony is.  Hear that Anthony ?  Stanford has no clue to who you are.  Great school. Granted that.  But why go to a school where you won't be appreciated? Unlike IU..

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

sjm-stantree-1022-06.jpg?w=408

I can't believe Anthony would pick a tree over IU.  But so be it. Anthony. A tree, where no one knows you. Versus . A great university. Where you could go down in history. What's the choice?  I mean.... really ?

I look at it this way. Anthony has lived in Bloomington his whole life. Suddenly you give a 17 year old the chance to go to California and show him Stanford’s campus and ask him to choose stay at home or go here...I can understand the draw...not discounting the excellence of the education. Sometimes you think you know what you want your whole life and then someone opens up the world to you and it’s like your eyes are open for the first time. Not saying that is happening here as obviously the young man has traveled the country but it’s certainly a possibility. I’d hate to miss out on him but if we do 2021 is loaded. Guess worse things can happen. I just had a dream or Leal, Galloway, Lander, and Kaufman playing together.

38 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

No clue who the person is. One of the joys (for some, not me) of Twitter is you can make a fake name and say whatever the hell you want. 

Trolls are gonna troll 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you hearing anything one way or another, Coach? I think we all feel good about our chances for obvious reasons, but I want Leal more than any other recruit in this class right now.

At the end of the day, Leal’s got great rapport with Galloway and Lander.  I think the draw to play with his friends and in front of friends and family will win it for IU but that’s a guess.  

As a player, you’ve got to like his size and strength.  I think that will enable him to defend at a solid level.  He’s got a nice shooting touch.  From clips it looks like he may need time to get the shot off but that shot can still be a weapon with some of the pieces coming around him who will draw defenders. 

I am obviously hoping we get him but I wish the young man well as Stanford would be a great selection as well.  It comes down to his goals and priorities. 

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I’ll let Anthony and his family have their big day on Friday evening. Prefer not to say anything at this time. 

As it should be.  I'm cool with letting Anthony keep his announced school a surprise until he announces.  I get and enjoy participating in speculation, but I don't get the need to steal a kid's thunder.  That is one of the things I'll never get past someone like Rabjohns doing to Yogi.  He probably deserved the Garland family troll job after that.

...and while we're speculating, I'm going to guess that Leal stays home.  I'm gonna guess that after 18 years here, with family here, he probably intends to settle back in Indiana when his playing days are over.  If that's the case, he'll do just as well with an IU diploma as he will a Stanford diploma.  In between, Stanford has nothing to offer as far as basketball atmosphere when compared to a full house in Assembly Hall.  Anthony knows that...he's witnessed it many times and I'm sure he grew up dreaming of playing on the biggest stage in Bloomington some day.  That will be mighty hard to overcome.

...but as I said, that's pure speculation and I've been surprised by teenager decisions many times before, so take it for what it's worth (nothing).

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If Leal plans on making Basketball his career then IU is the clear choice. If he has plans to use basketball as a stepping stone then Stanford is the clear option. 

Either way best of luck to the kid. 

Not saying that I disagree but playing basketball at Indiana opens up many many doors and in some probably most cases more so than any degree. We all know it's more about who you know than what you know. Those people exist at all schools i get it but most former IU players do pretty well for themselves 

If Leal chooses IU, I would think we would def improve our chances even more with Lander if those three are close like people are sayin. Add in TJD who tries to recruit everyone to IU(I love) and our odds improve even more.

best of luck Leal, I hope it’s Cream and Crimson colors you choose! 🔴🔴

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sure hope we get him.  This one is hard to read for me.  All the experts are picking IU so it's gotta be us right?  It would just be our luck though for the experts to be wrong the one time they were all picking IU.  

You just said luck, and Luck went to Stanford.  Not a good omen.

Archived