Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling he will commit to IU.  With all the recent offers to guards, Leal has to feel pressure to commit to IU before school starts and other recruits start visits if IU is where he wants to go.  I think the longer this recruitment went the better chance he went to Stanford.  No inside Intel.  Just a gut feeling.  

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

IU is very, very unique in this sense. We have dozens of players around the state where the coach HAS to offer them or it's perceived as an issue. Crean faced it. Davis certainly did. It's a catch 22 for our Coach. We offer because of pressure but in turn if we offer and the kid still says no it suggests our staff doesn't have the right stuff. No win situation.

Again...all of this is for the sake of conversation. Hope the kid chooses IU but very, very few if any High Major Coaches have to deal with the local pressure that an IU coach does. Glad that we have plenty of options in 21. As someone else suggested we can afford a miss (IF that happens) in 20. 

I really hope our staff isn't recruiting on what we have to say or what anyone not on staff has to say about recruits we look at.

If you offer a kid that lives 2 miles from campus he damn well better be good enough. Not just because he is in your back yard. 

Archie put the pressure on himself saying inside out so if he fails to get the best the state has its on him. 

26 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I really hope our staff isn't recruiting on what we have to say or what anyone not on staff has to say about recruits we look at.

If you offer a kid that lives 2 miles from campus he damn well better be good enough. Not just because he is in your back yard. 

Archie put the pressure on himself saying inside out so if he fails to get the best the state has its on him. 

This is year 3 on recruiting..inside out has worked from what I can see..nobody has a crystal ball on how a kid is going to turn out...I do think the kid 2 miles from campus is good enough...IMO

50 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Just saying we as IU fans preach state's best first probably more than any other elite level/historical blue blood program going. I can't name the last player Coach K got from North Carolina actually. 

Presently. I am freaking out with anticipation.  Jared Jeffries. From Bloomington North.  And now.  Possibly Anthony Leal from Bloomington South.  JJ worked out pretty good for IU.   Regardless of the outcome on Friday.  I know what I am having for dinner. The night before...... MEATLOAF.  Hope it works !

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Presently. I am freaking out with anticipation.  Jared Jeffries. From Bloomington North.  And now.  Possibly Anthony Leal from Bloomington South.  JJ worked out pretty good for IU.   Regardless of the outcome on Friday.  I know what I am having for dinner. The night before...... MEATLOAF.  Hope it works !

You seem to have skipped a local kid. Why no love for Hulls

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Not that this applies to Leal, but a local kid may be more content to be the 12th or 13th guy than someone from another state, say sonewhere like Pennsylvania (for example purposes only).

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You seem to have skipped a local kid. Why no love for Hulls

Not a question of no love. Simply skipped my mind.  Followed Jordan long before IU.  Father, and grandfather were instrumental in his development.  Would not allow him to even shoot a three until the seventh or eighth grade.  Hope Anthony follows in Jordan's footsteps to IU.  Like JJ.... worked out good for Hulls as well.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not a question of no love. Simply skipped my mind.  Followed Jordan long before IU.  Father, and grandfather were instrumental in his development.  Would not allow him to even shoot a three until the seventh or eighth grade.  Hope Anthony follows in Jordan's footsteps to IU.  Like JJ.... worked out good for Hulls as well.

Lol no worries. Gotta always represent my all time favorite Hoosier though. 

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

This is year 3 on recruiting..inside out has worked from what I can see..nobody has a crystal ball on how a kid is going to turn out...I do think the kid 2 miles from campus is good enough...IMO

Not saying he isn't not my point. My point was I hope this staff doesn't give a rats ass about what people out side the program feel about recruiting. Its on them to get the best players. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Not that this applies to Leal, but a local kid may be more content to be the 12th or 13th guy than someone from another state, say sonewhere like Pennsylvania (for example purposes only).

Should have left that part out. Really had nothing to do with my point. Leal will be a Hoosier on Friday. If he can learn to play defense he will see some mins. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It's all about the meatloaf!  Think of the recruiting advantage Mrs. Leal could give us with her world famous meatloaf. Go to UK and eat ramen, or come to IU and get home cooked meatloaf. No brainer!

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It's all about the meatloaf!  Think of the recruiting advantage Mrs. Leal could give us with her world famous meatloaf. Go to UK and eat ramen, or come to IU and get home cooked meatloaf. No brainer!

Exactly for an Indiana kid. Go to Stanford. And eat sushi ?  I like sushi. And Ramen as well.   But, still .  How can you beat Mom's homemade meatloaf ?

Have the entire team over. LOL

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Should have left that part out. Really had nothing to do with my point. Leal will be a Hoosier on Friday. If he can learn to play defense he will see some mins. 

I think his defense is his best attribute. Sorry.. his willingness to defend. I loved it. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good meatloaf is awesome.. I put hot sauce on it. 

Bad meatloaf is absolutely terrible though. Wont touch it. 

Pizza, mashed potatoes that are bad I will still scarf down. 

Agree about bad meatloaf.  Was served that in grade school on a weekly basis.  So bad that it took me decades to even try it again.  When first married, my wife would make meatloaf. And I always told her that I was not hungry that night.  Tried her meatloaf after a few years. And found that a good meatloaf is really good.

I like my meatloaf with ketchup on the side.  Mashed potatoes are the perfect compliment. 

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not seeing a problem with his defense either.  Underrated athlete too in my opinion.  I like to think of him as a healthy Colin Hartman.

He flat out got after it when I coached against him. I would assume that's a non negotiable with Holmes. 

Archived