Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BtownMom said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCqiFd9NnE

Anthony is the primary videographer in this middle school media project. He’s wearing the #12 jersey. Enjoy & Go Hoosiers! 🔴

I'm nearly 60 years old now but I remember dressing in IU gear, running around with my brothers and dunking on the nerf hoop over the closet door in our room.  This video brings back great memories and more importantly it has the same old school feel when IU was at the top of the basketball world.  Nothing would make me happier than to watch Anthony and his comrades help return IU to the glory days !!!  Thanks for sharing the video and thank you Anthony!  Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, BtownMom said:

Anthony is the primary videographer in this middle school media project. He’s wearing the #12 jersey. Enjoy & Go Hoosiers! 🔴

Great contribution.  And great background music.  Loved it.  Delighted to have you as a part of our little IU fan board !

After watching this video.  I have to ask.  Was there any wonder, that Anthony would not be wearing Candy Stripes in Assembly Hall ?

5 hours ago, BtownMom said:

Absolutely love the vid! Great job! Thanks for sharing! 

This kid and his entire circle, from friends to family, are true Hoosiers through and through. This passion, IMO, is what this program has lacked in recent years. 

The coaching staff is on the right track here folks. Heart, passion, talent, kids that leave it all on the floor are key building blocks on the road to a winning culture which can translate into championships. That’s what Indiana basketball was. With kids like Anthony, Trey, Rob P, TJD, & Armaan, IUMBB is gaining traction and there is a lot to be excited for right now as alums and fans of our beloved university.

Congratulations Anthony on following your dream. Congratulations to Mom and Dad as well. You have raised an outstanding young man. 

30 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I do not agree with this at all.

The great thing about Hoosier Sports Nation. Is that it was founded on the premise for members to express their thoughts.  Without reprisal. So long as one expresses  themselves   in a respectful manner. And is not breaking our simple rules.

I thank you for you input. 

Riding out the  Storm

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Absolutely love the vid! Great job! Thanks for sharing! 

This kid and his entire circle, from friends to family, are true Hoosiers through and through. This passion, IMO, is what this program has lacked in recent years. 

The coaching staff is on the right track here folks. Heart, passion, talent, kids that leave it all on the floor are key building blocks on the road to a winning culture which can translate into championships. That’s what Indiana basketball was. With kids like Anthony, Trey, Rob P, TJD, & Armaan, IUMBB is gaining traction and there is a lot to be excited for right now as alums and fans of our beloved university.

Congratulations Anthony on following your dream. Congratulations to Mom and Dad as well. You have raised an outstanding young man. 

Great post. Could not agree more.  Hope to see four full years from Anthony as a Hoosier. And looking forward to his growth, year in and out. 

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Great post ! 

Plse, Archie.  No more OAD's.  Even if they are from the great state of Indiana. 

Foundation pieces. From Indiana.  That's how to build a program.  Yes !

Half agree. OAD won’t do a bunch to build it...but once you have the foundation those elite 1-2 yr kids are the special type that can put you over the top. The type that can carry a team...bail out a bad possession and inspire others to join your program. I don’t think you can build a program with mostly just them...you need the foundation first. Had Romeo came around when Vic and Zeller and Yogi were here you bet we would love to have him and it might put us over the top for #6. It’s about having the program in the correct state and structure to weave 1 in every few years hopefully.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Half agree. OAD won’t do a bunch to build it...but once you have the foundation those elite 1-2 yr kids are the special type that can put you over the top. The type that can carry a team...bail out a bad possession and inspire others to join your program. I don’t think you can build a program with mostly just them...you need the foundation first. Had Romeo came around when Vic and Zeller and Yogi were here you bet we would love to have him and it might put us over the top for #6. It’s about having the program in the correct state and structure to weave 1 in every few years hopefully.

Good post. I am just not down on AOD's.  If one comes along and brings us a NC... I might think other wise.  Till then.  Give me a die hard 4 year Hoosier. 

Clearly, Archie understands what the expectations for IU basketball are.  So far he has only been able to deliver on the recruiting trail and I hope it shows on the court. Give him time and I think we will all be satisfied. 

Glad to have another hoosier stay home and represent.😁

8 hours ago, BtownMom said:

I spent a lot of time growing up wearing a #40 IU Jersey doing almost exactly the same thing that is happening in this video.  Congrats to Anthony for having a dream come true.  I wish you all the best. 

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The great thing about Hoosier Sports Nation. Is that it was founded on the premise for members to express their thoughts.  Without reprisal. So long as one expresses  themselves   in a respectful manner. And is not breaking our simple rules.

I thank you for you input. 

Riding out the  Storm

I think a lot of fans would give up on the program if we weren't able to land an Eric Gordon or a Romeo every so often. If we aren't capable of going after the top players that understand the culture here, then we will be even less competitive than we have been.

41 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I think a lot of fans would give up on the program if we weren't able to land an Eric Gordon or a Romeo every so often. If we aren't capable of going after the top players that understand the culture here, then we will be even less competitive than we have been.

Can't escape the fact that Gordon committed to Bruce Weber and the University of Illinois, before signing a letter of intent to Kelvin Sampson and IU. Like Anthony Leal, Gordon also grew up in Indiana.  However, considering what happened before Gordon came to IU, and subsequent small stint at IU, I have to question Eric's true loyalty to IU, and concern for building our program. 

Sorry.  No OAD's for me. As far as excitement.  I am more excited for an Indiana kid, with talent, that I can watch for up to four years. Watching his improvement year to year. Than one, I know is only going to be here for just one year.   Funny, you mention those two. As I started questioning the value of going after OAD's with Gordon.  Noah Vonleh, moved my thoughts against going after OAD's.  And despite being a great person, our experience with Romeo Langford convinced me, that I would much rather not chase down any more OAD's.  Regardless of what state they come from.

Victor did leave a little early. But look how he progressed while he was here. And how he helped the program and himself improve over that time.

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Eric Gordon is very loyal to our program. He is very vocal on Twitter about our Hoosiers. He reps IU almost more than any of our former players. It’s not his fault he was good enough to be a one and done...

Agree all day. With all due respect to others opinion....Gordon (as you've said) is extremely loyal and vocal about IU. The problem wasn't Gordon it was the foundation and types of kids around him. Recruiting the 4 year guys just won't work. We can use Weber or even Painter as Exhibit A and B for why that model won't work. Weber's best team ever was because of Self's recruits. Regarding Painter his model after 7 years as Head Coach produced 2 missed tourneys and 2 first round exits in years 8-11. Most places that gets you fired. 

I'm not advocating all one and done at all. We've built our base but no reason at all we shouldn't be able to land at least 1 elite 5 star players 3 of every 4 recruiting cycles. 

24 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Eric Gordon is very loyal to our program. He is very vocal on Twitter about our Hoosiers. He reps IU almost more than any of our former players. It’s not his fault he was good enough to be a one and done...

Good to know.  Once they leave for the NBA.  I stop following.  Though I admit watching Eric for one game, a year or two back.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. With all due respect to others opinion....Gordon (as you've said) is extremely loyal and vocal about IU. The problem wasn't Gordon it was the foundation and types of kids around him. Recruiting the 4 year guys just won't work. We can use Weber or even Painter as Exhibit A and B for why that model won't work. Weber's best team ever was because of Self's recruits. Regarding Painter his model after 7 years as Head Coach produced 2 missed tourneys and 2 first round exits in years 8-11. Most places that gets you fired. 

I'm not advocating all one and done at all. We've built our base but no reason at all we shouldn't be able to land at least 1 elite 5 star players 3 of every 4 recruiting cycles. 

Absolutely.

you generally need at least one legit next-level player to make it through to a NC — mixed with good, 2-4 year players, and class depth. 

And guys like EJ, Vic, Cody et al are great former Hoosiers repping the program as excellent NBA players 

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have to ask.  When was the last IU BB OAD, that took our great university all the way to a  National Championship ?  I'm talking about Indiana University basketball.  Not the NBA.

Sort of irrelevant because we haven't been relevant since the early 90s 🤷‍♂️

Archived