Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you for your kind words, in terms of civility.  I commend all of our mods that have continued to carry the torch in terms of board civility as well.

In terms of De'Ron.  That is an interesting question.  Hmm.  Seeing as how I have followed him since 8th grade.  And he told me personally, while still in high school that his ultimate goal was to make it to the NBA.  So, to answer your question. As much as I love De'Ron. Had he left after one year. I would say he used IU. And therefore would category him in the same class of other IU OAD's . Thankfully, that has not happened

As for Anthony or Trey. I don't see either as OAD's.  Not saying they are not great. But not on that level. Yet.  I really hope they give us more than one year. And like Victor, should they give us more than one year, and work and progress like Victor did. I would wish them the best.  Just won't watch while they play in the NBA. 

Tried to think of the toughest case for you:) Thank you for answering with class.  Btw, I don't watch the NBA either.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you for your kind words, in terms of civility.  I commend all of our mods that have continued to carry the torch in terms of board civility as well.

In terms of De'Ron.  That is an interesting question.  Hmm.  Seeing as how I have followed him since 8th grade.  And he told me personally, while still in high school that his ultimate goal was to make it to the NBA.  So, to answer your question. As much as I love De'Ron. Had he left after one year. I would say he used IU. And therefore would category him in the same class of other IU OAD's . Thankfully, that has not happened

As for Anthony or Trey. I don't see either as OAD's.  Not saying they are not great. But not on that level. Yet.  I really hope they give us more than one year. And like Victor, should they give us more than one year, and work and progress like Victor did. I would wish them the best.  Just won't watch while they play in the NBA. 

Again, utmost respect to you, but I really don’t like when people say an athlete ‘used’ a university. Especially when it’s the other way around: the NCAA, universities, and even IU use athletes. Making boatloads of money off of their back - right now, through college is the only realistic path to the pros. Don’t blame the athlete for the path the NBA makes them go down. If anybody uses the universities, it’s the NBA. 

Edit - I even hesitate to say that the NBA uses the universities because they essentially force the best players in the nation to go to college. The NBA gets the exposure for their future athletes. And the NCAA gets the best 18 year old athletes which increase the skill level and overall entertainment value. Sorry to  not feel sorry for the NCAA, who just for the tournament, is in the middle of a 14 year, $10.8 billion dollar contract with CBS. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Again, utmost respect to you, but I really don’t like when people say an athlete ‘used’ a university. Especially when it’s the other way around: the NCAA, universities, and even IU use athletes. Making boatloads of money off of their back - right now, through college is the only realistic path to the pros. Don’t blame the athlete for the path the NBA makes them go down. If anybody uses the universities, it’s the NBA. 

Edit - I even hesitate to say that the NBA uses the universities because they essentially force the best players in the nation to go to college. The NBA gets the exposure for their future athletes. And the NCAA gets the best 18 year old athletes which increase the skill level and overall entertainment value. Sorry to  not feel sorry for the NCAA, who just for the tournament, is in the middle of a 14 year, $10.8 billion dollar contract with CBS. 

It is the NBA rule that makes the kids go to college so I don't know how you can say that the colleges uses the players.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Maybe we should quit going after OAD's.  And concentrate on players that want to win.  Just like Anthony Leal was recently quoted as saying.

Love ya btown.  Cause you challenge me to think, all the time. 

In interviews Cody has stated that he seriously thought about leaving after his freshman year. Should we have passed on him?

Also....I understand that some OAD’s have a singular objective but don’t agree we should forget them to concentrate on players that “just want to win”. Why assume wanting to win and OAD are mutually exclusive? Zion Williamson, as an example, was a clear cut-no doubt OAD but he also seemed EXTREMELY committed to winning. Balance is the key.

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Well, the colleges sure benefit from them financially. And the OADs play pretty much for free. 

Again these kids get paid around $50,000 a year so I would love to be used like that  The problem that people who think kids should get paid is that you have to pay all college athletes and not just at the top schools and revenue sports.  Also why change the rules for less than %1 of all the college athletes who probably will be making millions in a few months.

Ha. $50k a year when their value is closer to $3 million a year. 

... $50k a year is like working on .001% commission.  

Not saying I have a solution, but to stay on track and back to my original argument: it’s not fair to say OADs ‘use’ universities. Who’s recruiting who?

All I know is when you put kids like Anthony on a roster it is going to make for a very desirable place to play for a OAD. Unselfish, Smart, dedicated kid that will do anything to make you better and make the team successful. I don’t think we have to worry about a OAD for a few more years but maybe by the time Anthony and Trey are seniors we will be ready for a Romeo type to come in...love what IU basketball is about...fit into the team aspect and be that special talent that will help us to a championship along with the core that has built the foundation.

I like the strategy of targeting and signing more 3-4 year guys, and I’m super happy about the Galloway and Leal commitments, really glad they’re coming to IU. I would like to see IU now land a few more guys in that TJD/Hunter range, in terms of rankings. 

With that said, anytime this discussion comes up about one and dones or guys who leave early, the part that bugs me is the insinuation that guys like Yogi, Morgan, Hartman, etc. somehow care about IU more than guys like Langford, Zeller or Bryant. While they were here, the latter gave just as much and still rep IU in a big way, and while the former are also great the only reason they were at IU 4 years is because they weren’t good enough to leave. 

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Appreciate your post. More than you can think.  However.  I HAVE to ask.  What have any IU OAD's ever done to further our program? 

I will say with relative certainty that one or more of the recruits we've landed the last two years would not have chosen IU if Romeo hadn't came to IU first.  Maybe the season he was here was not as successful as we would have liked, but Romeo Langford 'furthered' the IU program simply by choosing to become a Hoosier.

Agree with the people mentioning Zeller and Isaiah Thomas.  Not a fan if IT as a coach or executive, but he repped the Hoosiers very well at IU and had an impressive career with the pistons.  Sorry Scott...LOL @ choosing Alford over Thomas.  Come on, man...I don't see Steve as a particularly great ambassador for IU with his failed tenures at Iowa and UCLA and his NBA career was nonexistent.  I'm not going to hold IT's desire to provide for his family and as I understand it, he left with Knight's blessing as Knight was aware of his family's hardship at the time.

I'm in the "both" camp...give me veterans and very talented players who will likely leave early as long as they get along well with the team, understand their roles and contribute.  If these kids are good enough to leave early and they contribute while they are here, I say bring em on.  Not a whole team of them, but one here and there is just fine with me.  I'll likely enjoy the four year players more because I have more time to get attached, but I also love players like Bryant, Oladipo, Zeller and yes, Romeo.  Those guys can play on my team anytime they want.

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like the strategy of targeting and signing more 3-4 year guys, and I’m super happy about the Galloway and Leal commitments, really glad they’re coming to IU. I would like to see IU now land a few more guys in that TJD/Hunter range, in terms of rankings. 

With that said, anytime this discussion comes up about one and dones or guys who leave early, the part that bugs me is the insinuation that guys like Yogi, Morgan, Hartman, etc. somehow care about IU more than guys like Langford, Zeller or Bryant. While they were here, the latter gave just as much and still rep IU in a big way, and while the former are also great the only reason they were at IU 4 years is because they weren’t good enough to leave. 

Nobody can tell me Bryant didn’t care or was just using IU as a stepping stone. That guy competed every single minute. 

I’m on board with the way the wind seems to be blowing. Many 3-4 year players with a chance to add a OAD every year to put them over the top, but if that player isn’t landed, we still have a top 25 team. 

Really, I just long for the days when at  least 40% of the team are upper classmen who know the system  

That success is dependent on how good of a coach CAM can be. Is he good enough to see the bigger picture and able to find specific role players that match his needs and buy into his culture -  guys that work together and win because they are a cohesive unit?

Here’s to hoping that Anthony is one of those ‘culture’ guys. :cheers:

17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nobody can tell me Bryant didn’t care or was just using IU as a stepping stone. That guy competed every single minute. 

Exactly, and IU does not win the Big Ten Title or go to a Sweet Sixteen, beating UK along the way, without him. 

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Well, the colleges sure benefit from them financially. And the OADs play pretty much for free. 

OAD’s also got tremendous exposure, especially playing at Duke or UK. Duke played less than 40 games last year yet were nationally televised more than all but 5 NBA franchises. Think about that?

Someone like Zion could have very easily accepted a six figure salary to play overseas for a year and while he would have put cash in his pocket, there’s nowhere he’s anywhere close to being as marketable as he is today. That’s strictly the platform the college basketball gives OAD’s and a reason why college basketball is the best avenue to the NBA even if it is “unpaid”. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Quality post. Past time that the NBA abolishes the OAD rule. Be like baseball.

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

In interviews Cody has stated that he seriously thought about leaving after his freshman year. Should we have passed on him?

Also....I understand that some OAD’s have a singular objective but don’t agree we should forget them to concentrate on players that “just want to win”. Why assume wanting to win and OAD are mutually exclusive? Zion Williamson, as an example, was a clear cut-no doubt OAD but he also seemed EXTREMELY committed to winning. Balance is the key.

Zion was a candidate who in my opinion, should have been allowed to go straight to the NBA. Just as Lebron James. Zion... Injured during the season (shoe blow out ). He may have been committed to winning. However, even he failed to take Duke all the way.  Conversely, a three year D-1 player, Kyle Guy, from Indiana was able to help deliver the goods for Virginia.

Thanks for your post. I do appreciate it. 

As for Cody. I was totally on board with him.  So much so, that my son eventually got tired of my speaking of Cody, while we recruiting him.   Never thought of Cody as a OAD. Cody didn't leave after just one season.  And truthfully, as a result, in my opinion showed other Indiana kids, unlike his brother, that it WAS ok to commit to IU.  Something IU needed at the time.  Hard to pass up the lure of money.  And equally as hard to imagine what could have been, had Cody stayed for four years. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I will say with relative certainty that one or more of the recruits we've landed the last two years would not have chosen IU if Romeo hadn't came to IU first.  Maybe the season he was here was not as successful as we would have liked, but Romeo Langford 'furthered' the IU program simply by choosing to become a Hoosier.

Just as Cody Zeller.  However, in both Romeo and Cody's way.  Neither led the way to an NC.

Love ya fouls.  Long time, loyal member of HSN.  That's what I am looking for, in terms of an IU player. 

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just as Cody Zeller.  However, in both Romeo and Cody's way.  Neither led the way to an NC.

Love ya fouls.  Long time, loyal member of HSN.  That's what I am looking for, in terms of an IU player. 

Jumping in to this discussion WAAAYYYY late here....

I've said on this board multiple times that you don't have to be from Indiana to be an Indiana kid.  It's a mindset, a passion for the game and how you play it and i dont mean X's & O's.  

Aldo I dont think leaving early makes you less of a Hoosier and I dont think staying 4,5,6 years makes you more of one.  One cant point at Duke or UK and say having OAD's didnt help them win a title without also pointing out that UE, Valpo and Cleveland St didnt win one either.  It's about catching lightning in a bottle and ALL of the bounces going your teams way for 6 games.  

Is Keith Smart any less of a Hoosier because he only played at IU for 2 years?  What about (going to butcher names here...sorry) Jeffries, Ziesloft or Biefeldt?  Will Brunk only be half Hoosier?  

A persons loyalty or whatever you want to call it should not be determined by his length of stay at the school we ALL love so much but how he or she represents IU while they are here and after they are gone.

Now tying this all back in to Leal.....we can NOT expect to hang banner #6 with a team full of players of his skill level comming into college; but we aint guna win one without a handfull of them either.  But what he might not bring to the table in speed, jumping ability and athletisism (all of which can be improved) he brings in knowing how to and loving to play the game.  And if he absolutely blows up over the next 3 years and is only at IU for 2 years because he goes to the NBA, there is NO WAY IN HELL he could be called any less of a Hoosier than anyone else.

Stepping off my soapbox now.....you may continue the rest of your day. 

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree with the people mentioning Zeller and Isaiah Thomas.  Not a fan if IT as a coach or executive, but he repped the Hoosiers very well at IU and had an impressive career with the pistons.  Sorry Scott...LOL @ choosing Alford over Thomas.  Come on, man...I don't see Steve as a particularly great ambassador for IU with his failed tenures at Iowa and UCLA and his NBA career was nonexistent.  I'm not going to hold IT's desire to provide for his family and as I understand it, he left with Knight's blessing as Knight was aware of his family's hardship at the time.

I'm in the "both" camp...give me veterans and very talented players who will likely leave early as long as they get along well with the team, understand their roles and contribute.  If these kids are good enough to leave early and they contribute while they are here, I say bring em on.  Not a whole team of them, but one here and there is just fine with me.  I'll likely enjoy the four year players more because I have more time to get attached, but I also love players like Bryant, Oladipo, Zeller and yes, Romeo.  Those guys can play on my team anytime they want.

Never said Alford was a better player because he wasn't but in my eyes I view him better since he was here 4 years

Another thing is that I do view players like IT and Cody a lot different than I do one and done players.  If you stay 2 years at least you have to unpack and stay awhile and you also went through a complete off season working with the team.  A one and done player gets here in June and pretty much leaves campus by April if not earlier depending how far your team goes in the tournament.

Archived