Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

7 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Indiana is in a great position with this young man. Clear IU lean. He doesn’t appear to be on the brink of a commitment. Clearly there’s mutual interest between coaching staff and player (both have attended games). Not sure why fans are so antsy  

CTC offered kids WAY too early and due to his generous offers to every top 50 player, an IU offer stopped meaning as much! Now we have a coach who emphasizes  the importance of an IU offer and everyone seems to be up in arms. 

Gut feeling he will end up being a Hoosier. 

Oh I agree with Archie's approach here. It seemed Leal was borderline as an IU-level recruit last summer, but has apparently upped his game since then. I expect Archie to re-assess the situation more closely after our season is over.

I don't really think people are up in arms, certainly not "everyone". Maybe a couple of posters. If Leal does not get an offer this spring / summer that may change.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's fine that this kid is ranked 78th. Solid ranking, hope he's a Hoosier. He isn't as good as RP though. I don't care where he was ranked. 

Maybe, maybe not, that's not the point. I love Phinisee. Talking about Phinisee (or any of the scholarship kids on our roster) as potential walk ons out of high school would be crazy. Same is true here, this kid is not McRoberts going to Vermont, he has several other high major options and will keep adding more if IU decides to pass.

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I know kids on academic scholarship will still count against the 13. Would think they would count a kid taking advantage of a family discount. 

I have been wondering this myself.  What kind of discount would it be?  Would he be going to school for free?

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

Maybe, maybe not, that's not the point. I love Phinisee. Talking about Phinisee (or any of the scholarship kids on our roster) as potential walk ons out of high school would be crazy. Same is true here, this kid is not McRoberts going to Vermont, he has several other high major options and will keep adding more if IU decides to pass.

RP is better than Leal. I'm not commenting on the scholarship stuff, havent even read it. 

37 minutes ago, TN_Hoosier said:

Not sure if this is the same at IU, but when I worked at the U of I (where I retired from), my daughter's tuition rate was reduced by 50 percent when she attended the University.

See that is what I am wondering.  I imagine every school could be different, but I don't know.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

See that is what I am wondering.  I imagine every school could be different, but I don't know.  

My best friends brother and law worked at Anderson University and this guys daughter was able to have her tuition paid for but not sure about room and board.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My best friends brother and law worked at Anderson University and this guys daughter was able to have her tuition paid for but not sure about room and board.

Yeah, I have heard that about Anderson as far as tuition.  How do the athletes do their meals?  Is it a team function?

11 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Indiana is in a great position with this young man. Clear IU lean. He doesn’t appear to be on the brink of a commitment. Clearly there’s mutual interest between coaching staff and player (both have attended games). Not sure why fans are so antsy  

CTC offered kids WAY too early and due to his generous offers to every top 50 player, an IU offer stopped meaning as much! Now we have a coach who emphasizes  the importance of an IU offer and everyone seems to be up in arms. 

Gut feeling he will end up being a Hoosier. 

I agree with you that CTC offered way too early and I think that Leal is an IU lean, but I'm not sold that he will be in an indiana jersey yet. He doesn't have an offer compared to guys like Love and Morton. I think they are the priorities 

8 minutes ago, rico said:

So let's say Leal "walks on".  He doesn't need a place to stay.  And his meals are taken care of.  The only thing left is tuition.

I doubt if he would stay home and commute so he would need room and board as well.  The cost of attendance is 24,900 so if you want to walk on you better have wealthy parents or take out a lot of loans.  Unless if he gets his cost of attendance paid because of a parent working at IU I don't see him giving up a scholarship to walk on at IU.  I think Luke May at UNC walked on originally but after a year got a scholarship so I could see something like that.

Seems like we have this talk every year about some kid walking on or giving up his scholly to walk on so we can sign so in so. Not happening . J.Hulls didnt walk on and neither will Leal. These kids also get $1200 a month spending money, live in the best apartments in town now, Free education is way better than 50%off. Lets put this talk to rest.

24 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Seems like we have this talk every year about some kid walking on or giving up his scholly to walk on so we can sign so in so. Not happening . J.Hulls didnt walk on and neither will Leal. These kids also get $1200 a month spending money, live in the best apartments in town now, Free education is way better than 50%off. Lets put this talk to rest.

Thanks you are right

If this kid isn’t priority enough to offer a scholly he has to realize the staff doesn’t see him as being a meaningful piece to the roster and that he shouldn’t expect to have playing opportunities...why would a kid give up playing major college basketball to ride the pine for his favorite university. This is how I see it. If he lands here great! If not tell the kid to knock it out the park and graduate in 3 somewhere else and we will look for a spot for him here as a grad transfer possibly some day. At this point I fully believe he is the back up plan to Morton. They both play the two...Morton can play as a combo. To me this is like hey...we are going to be honest. We like you...keep working hard if you you keep getting better we will offer you. Right now we have an offer for your position ahead of you but if that falls through and you keep improving you will be our guy. Morton is special...but no guarantee we can land him. I’d be surprised we sign both.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If this kid isn’t priority enough to offer a scholly he has to realize the staff doesn’t see him as being a meaningful piece to the roster and that he shouldn’t expect to have playing opportunities...why would a kid give up playing major college basketball to ride the pine for his favorite university. This is how I see it. If he lands here great! If not tell the kid to knock it out the park and graduate in 3 somewhere else and we will look for a spot for him here as a grad transfer possibly some day. At this point I fully believe he is the back up plan to Morton. They both play the two...Morton can play as a combo. To me this is like hey...we are going to be honest. We like you...keep working hard if you you keep getting better we will offer you. Right now we have an offer for your position ahead of you but if that falls through and you keep improving you will be our guy. Morton is special...but no guarantee we can land him. I’d be surprised we sign both.

Feel the same way. I'm not sure but I might've read somewhere. Is Leal a year older than his peers?

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IU has watched Leal a lot, no one said IU won't offer or knows if IU will offer. We need guards, not taking any in 19' class. They could take both. Let it play out.

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

IU has watched Leal a lot, no one said IU won't offer or knows if IU will offer. We need guards, not taking any in 19' class. They could take both. Let it play out.

This is how I feel. I always pull for the local and instate kids. I hope they do take Leal and Morton.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Franklin isn’t a guard? Yeah who knows but given we have RP already on the roster and Al and Franklin and Anderson I’m not saying we wouldn’t take both but considering we might be a little thinner at the 4 and 5 I think we go with one guard one big.

Archived