Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Anthony is more than just a kid in Archie's backyard.  He is the number one recruit in Indiana in his class.  Who just happens to be in Archie's backyard. 

Maybe there is a silent agreement/offer to Anthony.....I have a feeling there is more to this recruitment than we are being led to believe. Just my opinion....

I have always thought this is a timing thing with Leal. Sure Archie could land some 5* recruits that would push Leal out of an offer but more likely  (and Archie probably believes this too) that due to the fact that Leal would accept right away that is why Archie is waiting. He still has work to be done in the 19 class and since he is in such a good position with Leal he can afford to wait. Sure there is a chance someone swoops in a woos the girl to go to the dance with him if you wait too long but I think Leal and Archie have a good understanding of each other that the offer will happen at the right time for IU but give Leal plenty of time to make a decision if he so choose to think it over (before his senior year). Archie isn't going to wait til spring next year to offer...I think it happens early this summer if not next week...and maybe he asks Leal to wait to announce his commitment until after the 19 class has finished signing. I'm sure Archie has a plan in place and he has had open dialogue with the Leal family..I would be shocked if an offer doesn't come soon. I think we are just so desperate for this team to improve we have lost our patience a bit...every recruitment is different...this is definitely a unique one but in the end I think everyone will be happy.

56 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I just can't help but think of the Kyle Guy recruitment in this situation. Correct me if my recollection is wrong, but didn't Crean hold off on offering and have other priorities until very late in his recruitment. Seem to recall Crean was worried he couldn't guard on a B1G level. Guy then blows up at a huge AAU tournament prior to senior year,  and Tony Bennett's prior relationship is rewarded over the late comers to the party. Could Leal be on a similar development trajectory?

Yeah that’s pretty accurate. I always found it funny Crean was worried about his defense when his teams never really played any defense.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have always thought this is a timing thing with Leal. Sure Archie could land some 5* recruits that would push Leal out of an offer but more likely  (and Archie probably believes this too) that due to the fact that Leal would accept right away that is why Archie is waiting. He still has work to be done in the 19 class and since he is in such a good position with Leal he can afford to wait. Sure there is a chance someone swoops in a woos the girl to go to the dance with him if you wait too long but I think Leal and Archie have a good understanding of each other that the offer will happen at the right time for IU but give Leal plenty of time to make a decision if he so choose to think it over (before his senior year). Archie isn't going to wait til spring next year to offer...I think it happens early this summer if not next week...and maybe he asks Leal to wait to announce his commitment until after the 19 class has finished signing. I'm sure Archie has a plan in place and he has had open dialogue with the Leal family..I would be shocked if an offer doesn't come soon. I think we are just so desperate for this team to improve we have lost our patience a bit...every recruitment is different...this is definitely a unique one but in the end I think everyone will be happy.

His Mom is posting on an IU site, gotta say I think he might possibly be interested if he gets an offer.

I would also say this, if Miller gets the "it" about Indiana basketball, this kid will have an offer by the end of Monday.  The knocks against him are the same things that I believe could have been said about Tom Coverdale.  Show of hands, hindsight being 20/20 who was the better recruit Coverdale or Bracey Wright?  I say Tom.  He may have not had all the physical attributes of Wright and he did not have the ranking either, but that guy was a competitor.

IMO, there is a spot for Leal on this roster even if the big dividends take a year or two to materialize.  

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

His Mom is posting on an IU site, gotta say I think he might possibly be interested if he gets an offer.

I would also say this, if Miller gets the "it" about Indiana basketball, this kid will have an offer by the end of Monday.  The knocks against him are the same things that I believe could have been said about Tom Coverdale.  Show of hands, hindsight being 20/20 who was the better recruit Coverdale or Bracey Wright?  I say Tom.  He may have not had all the physical attributes of Wright and he did not have the ranking either, but that guy was a competitor.

IMO, there is a spot for Leal on this roster even if the big dividends take a year or two to materialize.  

Some schools haven’t offered Leal because he is a year older and can reclass to 2019.  Some AAU coaches were wondering if he was just bigger and able to physically dominate at a younger age.  He is proving that to not be the case.  

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Some schools haven’t offered Leal because he is a year older and can reclass to 2019.  Some AAU coaches were wondering if he was just bigger and able to physically dominate at a younger age.  He is proving that to not be the case.  

He wasn't that big as a SO and a FR. 

9 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

He was bigger than kids his age.  Physically more mature.  It’s a reason why some schools haven’t offered.  

Bigger than kids his age ?  And more mature ?   And this is why some schools have not offered ?  I don't understand the logic.  But I do love you're being a member of Hoosier Sports Nation

Why this kid is not offered yet is puzzling and sad to me. I was watching the 1993 game vs Michigan on YouTube and IU had the following players all from Indiana:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

They weren't too bad that year. Lol. I don't get why a return to these kind of rosters isn't priority one. Oh. And by the way. IU won that game. Against 5 5stars

1 minute ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Why this kid is not offered yet is puzzling and sad to me. I was watching the 1993 game vs Michigan on YouTube and IU had the following players all from Indiana:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

They weren't too bad that year. Lol. I don't get why a return to these kind of rosters isn't priority one. Oh. And by the way. IU won that game. Against 5 5stars

Sigh, the good ol days.  Dang that was fun.

3 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

YOU get it.  And just know, that I am buying into what you are selling.  To reach this point... having an Indiana kid... who is ranked number one in his class, in the great state of Indiana... without an offer from IU is hard for me to believe. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

YOU get it.  And just know, that I am buying into what you are selling.  To reach this point... having an Indiana kid... who is ranked number one in his class, in the great state of Indiana... without an offer from IU is hard for me to believe. 

It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. Could you imagine a backcourt of Kyle Guy and Desmond Bane this past year? All of a sudden we are deadly from the 3. 

18 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

Not trying to stir up an argument here, okay.  Are the kids coming out of Indiana's HS basketball programs today equal in abilities to the kids of the past?  That's more of just a question on the quality of hs basketball now versus the past.  Not saying it's worse, but is Indiana producing high quality hs players at the rate it did in the past?  The game is played differently now versus then, but I guess I'm wondering about fundamentals.

Let's relax a tad.  I'm a big fan of Leal also, and stated that I wanted him to get an offer back in November.  

But Archie is absolutely building an Indiana roster.  Even pushing out a couple kids not from Indiana.  Even getting Joey Brunk.  The turnaround of getting in-state kids is spectacular.  

I'd say we're now just entering the time where Archie should be offering.  If we get past this time without an offer to Leal, then by all means dust off your pitchforks.  He's set to watch him play this weekend, and have an in-home with him Monday.  Let's see what comes out of that.  It feels like we're getting a little too worked up about this.  In actuality, we should be glad Archie's built the program to a place where our local kids even want to play.  

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Not trying to stir up an argument here, okay.  Are the kids coming out of Indiana's HS basketball programs today equal in abilities to the kids of the past?  That's more of just a question on the quality of hs basketball now versus the past.  Not saying it's worse, but is Indiana producing high quality hs players at the rate it did in the past?  The game is played differently now versus then, but I guess I'm wondering about fundamentals.

I gave you a backcourt in my prior post. I bet I could go through and find 5-6 more players. And notice I'm leaving out kids like Wilkes, Scruggs, etc

7 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. Could you imagine a backcourt of Kyle Guy and Desmond Bane this past year? All of a sudden we are deadly from the 3. 

I continue to get you.  Or.... imagine what IU would have been had Luke Harangody who's ENTIRE family attended IU, including his father who PLAYED FB at IU come to IU ?

Just now, Stromboli said:

Let's relax a tad.  I'm a big fan of Leal also, and stated that I wanted him to get an offer back in November.  

But Archie is absolutely building an Indiana roster.  Even pushing out a couple kids not from Indiana.  Even getting Joey Brunk.  The turnaround of getting in-state kids is spectacular.  

I'd say we're now just entering the time where Archie should be offering.  If we get past this time without an offer to Leal, then by all means dust off your pitchforks.  He's set to watch him play this weekend, and have an in-home with him Monday.  Let's see what comes out of that.  It feels like we're getting a little too worked up about this.  In actuality, we should be glad Archie's built the program to a place where our local kids even want to play.  

Let me be clear. My complaint isn't simply with Archie. My complaint goes all the way back to when Knight recruited Patterson, Miller, Reed, etc. Indiana lost its way then in my eyes. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I continue to get you.  Or.... imagine what IU would have been had Luke Harangody who's ENTIRE family attended IU, including his father who PLAYED FB at IU come to IU ?

Exactly this isn't an Archie argument. It's an IU culture argument. We had Knight chase Patterson, Reed, etc. Davis chased Josh Smith, Bracey Wright. Let's not get started on the knuckleheads Sampson was bringing in. (Eric Gordon not included) Crean's best team had Ferrell, Zeller, Hulls, Elston, etc. 

12 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

While that would be nice, Guy chose to go elsewhere for reasons discussed at length already and I can't find a place where Bane wasn't an unranked high school recruit. There probably would have been a meltdown if he was offered/committed at the time.

4 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Let me be clear. My complaint isn't simply with Archie. My complaint goes all the way back to when Knight recruited Patterson, Miller, Reed, etc. Indiana lost its way then in my eyes. 

Ehhh now wait a minute...none of IUs championships under Knight would have been possible without out of state kids...I mean major contributors. I agree recruiting fell off at the end of Knights time but none of the kids you mentioned I think took away from the team...in reality Knights demeanor and changing of kids going into college basketball from AAU etc was what hurt us...and yes we have been slow to recover. We aren’t UK...we don’t recruit nationally to get our kids. A good 60-40 ratio of Indiana to outside the state I think is a healthy makeup.

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

While that would be nice, Guy chose to go elsewhere for reasons discussed at length already and I can't find a place where Bane wasn't an unranked high school recruit. There probably would have been a meltdown if he was offered/committed at the time.

You sir are helping my argument. Quit chasing the stars next to the name! Obviously IU did a poor job scouting Bane. I know this for a fact. Purdue was interested. Maybe they do a better job of scouting Indiana kids?

Archived