Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

Lol yes a quality big would be nice! As of now just not enough spots for all of our needs. Leal may not be worthy of a scholarship I don't know, I do now I would hate to see him playing somewhere else. Loveday is a big that the staff is looking at, don't know how much interested 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

PG at UNC....that is the elite of the elite. Given Williams get's his point guards to play 4 years and typically go pro...you have to be very special type to play there....and he may be that kid...but given we only have 1 traditional point guard on the roster...he would have a great opportunity to come here. But it also comes down to do we take Morton and then look for a big?? What I wouldn't give for a decent 7'0....maybe Archie needs to go to Germany or something but we could use one. I hate every elite B1G team having 3 inches on us at center every year.

That 7’0 recruit better be able to run like a deer.  All the types of bigs Archie has been on are fleet of foot.  Hard combo to come across.

I'm all for having 13 scholorship players between 6'5" and 6'9" if they have different skill sets that fill all of our team needs.  However, if there is a lights out-ish shooter literally in our back yard that might be a little undersized for his position but would run thru a brick wall to win.....i dont know how you can say you've locked up the state if that kid goes to Northwestern or Iowa or so on and drops 30+ 8 times over the next 4 years.

1 minute ago, CrimsonV said:

That 7’0 recruit better be able to run like a deer.  All the types of bigs Archie has been on are fleet of foot.  Hard combo to come across.

Yes he will have to have lateral quickness for sure. That said there is always a place on the team for a bruiser we can dump the ball into the post and get us some easy baskets. Davis does it for us....it isn't easy to find 6'7 guys with strength and post moves of Juwan. It's nice to have a guy alter a shot from time to time...even if they don't play the whole game we are going to go up against teams with elite bigs. I don't want to go home in the tournament because a Montross or  Ostertag or someone goes off for 25/10 against us....not that ever happened but just saying getting dominated on the boards and in the post is a helpless feeling sometimes.

4 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I'm all for having 13 scholorship players between 6'5" and 6'9" if they have different skill sets that fill all of our team needs.  However, if there is a lights out-ish shooter literally in our back yard that might be a little undersized for his position but would run thru a brick wall to win.....i dont know how you can say you've locked up the state if that kid goes to Northwestern or Iowa or so on and drops 30+ 8 times over the next 4 years.

Problem is...in the state of Indiana....there are dozens of players every year that go on to play division 1 basketball and could fall into the category you said. Especially smallerish guards....you can't take them all...so you have to prioritize...but yes it sucks to see them go off against us. That is why we don't play ISU or IUPUFW any more lol....other wise we would see it every year lol. But smaller 6'0-6'1 guards that can light it up if left open....half the teams in the state of Indiana playing HS basketball has a kid like that...and they would all get up for a game against IU to prove it to us.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes he will have to have lateral quickness for sure. That said there is always a place on the team for a bruiser we can dump the ball into the post and get us some easy baskets. Davis does it for us....it isn't easy to find 6'7 guys with strength and post moves of Juwan. It's nice to have a guy alter a shot from time to time...even if they don't play the whole game we are going to go up against teams with elite bigs. I don't want to go home in the tournament because a Montross or  Ostertag or someone goes off for 25/10 against us....not that ever happened but just saying getting dominated on the boards and in the post is a helpless feeling sometimes.

Will need more than just lateral quickness.  I’m talking hauling tail down the floor.  I can’t see Coach going after the type of bigs you mention.  Basketball has changed a lot since those guys.  I do like Leal though - nice player.

11 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Will need more than just lateral quickness.  I’m talking hauling tail down the floor.  I can’t see Coach going after the type of bigs you mention.  Basketball has changed a lot since those guys.  I do like Leal though - nice player.

Oh I don't expect to land one of those type...but at least someone that could give them fits in the post...but can show on a screen and roll. Trayce is only 6'9...he has pf size but the elite teams the Duke's, UK's, UNC's, KUs...they have those bigs most years that you can throw it up and they go get it and dunk it. I agree defense is first and foremost but when UK is posting multiple 6'10 bigs...we don't have the size to stop that on our current team. Again just one of them on our roster wouldn't hurt. Sometimes you have to have a roster that can be versatile and play in different ways if the matchup dictates that.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I don't expect to land one of those type...but at least someone that could give them fits in the post...but can show on a screen and roll. Trayce is only 6'9...he has pf size but the elite teams the Duke's, UK's, UNC's, KUs...they have those bigs most years that you can throw it up and they go get it and dunk it. I agree defense is first and foremost but when UK is posting multiple 6'10 bigs...we don't have the size to stop that on our current team. Again just one of them on our roster wouldn't hurt. Sometimes you have to have a roster that can be versatile and play in different ways if the matchup dictates that.

If he gets a big, he’s going to have wheels.  He’s not going to drop a schollie on an oaf.  That’s my take.  Leal’s jumper is textbook.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

See and that is what I was wondering....we may want Love and Morton and not have room for Leal....that would be a tragedy but we only have two scholarships to work with. It happens. I'm ok losing out on Love...but only if we know Landers is a lock. Morton I really really really want. 4 year kid that would elevate everyone's game....hard nosed...kinda kid that killed us playing at Wisky the last 10 years. High basketball IQ...and play multiple positions. If we land him plus lock up the state....wow...Archie is hitting a home run then.

Morton is a stud as well! This class might not have any 5 stars in it but Morton and Leal are guys that can have 4 year impact on the program like Juwan. I don’t know much about Lovd but the other two are 4 year game changers 

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Am I wrong in saying just offer the kid. There is something to be said about guys that truly have always wanted to be here. I believe he and Morton most definitely could co exist. I am all for getting every Indiana Mr Basketball if they are good enough to get other Big offers. If for no other reason to let the rest of the conference know that the states best are coming to IU.  This is one of those guys that if he goes somewhere else and we play them he will stick it too us a few times. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Am I wrong in saying just offer the kid. There is something to be said about guys that truly have always wanted to be here. I believe he and Morton most definitely could co exist. I am all for getting every Indiana Mr Basketball if they are good enough to get other Big offers. If for no other reason to let the rest of the conference know that the states best are coming to IU.  This is one of those guys that if he goes somewhere else and we play them he will stick it too us a few times. 

Leal and Morton could play along side each other I would think, SG and SF at times, even playing PG and SG together.  They could co-exist from PG to SG to SF.  Get both of these and Caleb Love?  That would be a mean point guard, shooting guard and small forward group!

I put this in the post game thread, but thought it fit here as well...........3Ballin     284   Posted just now From everything ive taken away from our recruiting page....if we didn't offer Leal as soon as the game was over; and I mean "Hi, it's coach Miller with IU.  We just got the breaks beat off of us at home by freakin Nebraska because we shot 4% from the 3 point line and I think you could help with that.  I would like to offer you a scholorship to play basketball for Indiana University.  I hate to run, but I'm still in the tunel and have to go have a come to Jesus meeting with the guys.  Looking forward to seeing you in candy stripes!"  then I don't think Leal will ever get an offer and is going to prison rape us twice a year for 4 years.

7 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I put this in the post game thread, but thought it fit here as well...........3Ballin     284   Posted just now From everything ive taken away from our recruiting page....if we didn't offer Leal as soon as the game was over; and I mean "Hi, it's coach Miller with IU.  We just got the breaks beat off of us at home by freakin Nebraska because we shot 4% from the 3 point line and I think you could help with that.  I would like to offer you a scholorship to play basketball for Indiana University.  I hate to run, but I'm still in the tunel and have to go have a come to Jesus meeting with the guys.  Looking forward to seeing you in candy stripes!"  then I don't think Leal will ever get an offer and is going to prison rape us twice a year for 4 years.

We had 3 good 3pt shooters sitting the bench most of the game the other night. Durham was hurt and barely played, Hunter is a really good shooter and he is out for the season, Anderson didn't play because of his defense (and I haven't seen anything from him to think his defense is any better than Anderson's). Thing is we have some shooters...and even the one's that are healthy aren't playing because of their defense. If Leal wants to be on the team he needs to step up his defense...that is likely the only thing holding him back.

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We had 3 good 3pt shooters sitting the bench most of the game the other night. Durham was hurt and barely played, Hunter is a really good shooter and he is out for the season, Anderson didn't play because of his defense (and I haven't seen anything from him to think his defense is any better than Anderson's). Thing is we have some shooters...and even the one's that are healthy aren't playing because of their defense. If Leal wants to be on the team he needs to step up his defense...that is likely the only thing holding him back.

As far as Leal goes it would be nice to have a kid that gives 110% to the hoosiers and wants to be there yesterday! He will play defense as well as anyone we have now. Just my opinion.

I kind of wish IU would just offer him already.  We desperately need someone who can hit threes.  Everyone is starting to just pack the lane and bet that we won't beat them from three, which we probably won't.  Nebraska and Purdue used that exact game plan to beat IU by double digits.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Whats the difference between Leal and Hemmingway, other than a year younger and from Btown? Legit question.

Leal is shooting 44% from three while Hemingway is 37% from three this year last time I checked. Leal is a couple of inches taller. Not sure about anything else on Hemminway

Archived