Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I just coached against Leal. 

He is veryyyyyyy athletic. Deceiving athletic. 

I wasnt going to state an opinion on him until I saw him in person. I think IU needs to offer. 

He did a 360 windmill in warmups. If who ever we're talking about is more athletic than that... 

Does he have a 48” verticle lol....just kidding I couldn’t help myself. I don’t know but yes Morton can finish above the rim but to me athleticism is deceiving...who cares how fast you are with the ball or if you can’t see an open man when driving and deliver it or if you can stop and pop a jumper on a dime instead of running people over if you can dunk it. There is raw athleticism and basketball athleticism and Morton has plenty of the basketball type...quick with the ball...finish in traffic...strong with and without the ball...court vision...and makes the right play even when going full tilt. Can he do a 360 in warm ups which relates zero on actual game play I don’t know but I’m happy to hear Anthony is more athletic than he appears on tape. That is a good indicator....I’m not trying to say we should take one over other...I like Leal a lot and love he wants to be a Hoosier.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Leals athleticism translates. Promise. 

Also.. shot is plenty quick. I was really impressed with his defense. 

Great!!! He will be a great player every single time IU plays against Iowa, Maryland, Northwestern, Butler or whatever other school he decides to play at. He won’t end up at Stanford either because IU isn’t that lucky.

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cool story 

I should have skipped the sarcasm and went straight to this point. The thing is I’m tired of watching guys play with a lack of heart and effort but there is a kid from Bloomington that is a top 100 recruit that wants to be a Hoosier that can’t seem to land an offer. Come on now. IU isn’t Kentucky getting 4 five star players a year. When a talented kid falls in your lap you take him imo. 

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I should have skipped the sarcasm and went straight to this point. The thing is I’m tired of watching guys play with a lack of heart and effort but there is a kid from Bloomington that is a top 100 recruit that wants to be a Hoosier that can’t seem to land an offer. Come on now. IU isn’t Kentucky getting 4 five star players a year. When a talented kid falls in your lap you take him imo. 

We can hope. Thing is we only are possibly set to have two schollys next year...question is how many guards do we need?

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We can hope. Thing is we only are possibly set to have two schollys next year...question is how many guards do we need?

It is hard to say what the roster construction will look like at this time because of what might happen after the season. But I get the point and honestly it depends on a few factors.

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

I just coached against Leal. 

He is veryyyyyyy athletic. Deceiving athletic. 

I wasnt going to state an opinion on him until I saw him in person. I think IU needs to offer. 

He did a 360 windmill in warmups. If who ever we're talking about is more athletic than that... 

Thanks for the in person feedback. 

I have no issue with the staff waiting to offer, and CAM mentioned that he wanted the offer to actually mean something once again.  He didn’t want to hand scholarships out like candy.  That’s one thing that always bugged me about Crean. We all have no clue how this offseason is going to shake out or how many scholarships we’ll have for 2020 or 2021.  We have to have class and roster balance, regardless if there’s a kid in your backyard or not.

I dont care if the kid can do a tripple lending off the steel peir in Jersey and dunk the ball or if he can barely touch the net.....im tired of getting athletes that have to learn how to play basketball.  We dont need a team of Usain Bolt's or Carl Lewis's that jump high and run fast but look like Michael J Fox when they take a jump shot.  We have got to get kids in here that know how to play the game, that can guard their position and make plays on offense.

Another year of losing would suck.  But if CAM brings in a bunch of kids that work their asses off and buy in....then so be it.  And no, I dont want Leal because he is from Indiana.  I've said it several times on here....you dont have to live in the state to be an Indiana kid.  This one just happens to live a few minutes from Assembly Hall.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Leal sees a good game but a close Stanford loss as they fall to Washington by a point.

Was sweating this one for my weekly $2 pool. Why a contested 3 instead of at least trying to get to the basket at home for Stanford? So many better things could happen. Defense breaks down, foul called, hit a shot vs 1 option from 3. You make or miss. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, DocHoosier said:

Never want to overreact to one game, but 5 points in regional finals for Leal?! Anyone who attended game have insight?

CG did a good job on him, had some good moves just could never get it going.  Also tweaked his ankle in the third and wasn't the same.  Despite only 5 points I was impressed, he has a very nice shot.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, DocHoosier said:

Never want to overreact to one game, but 5 points in regional finals for Leal?! Anyone who attended game have insight?

Not an excuse for Leal but I think you do need to consider that Center Grove had the early game and it was a blowout so their starters got lots of rest.  Bloomington South had the second game and while the final margin was pretty large, they had to play a fairly fast paced up and down the court game against Jeffersonville.  I've watched several of Bloomington's games this year and I thought collectively they just didn't have their usual energy.   Leal did tweak an ankle but hard to know if that was that big of a factor or not.   To me Leal seems to be to be a streaky shooter and when he's on, he's on.  But when he's not.........    If you compare Leal and Galloway, I think Leal gets you more points over a season, but Galloway more assists and rebounds and right now, I believe Galloway is a better defender. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

I know all the reasons on why we are waiting to offer but if we let this kid out of our backyard I will be very disappointed and I dont care if we land the number 1 recruit in the country in his place. This is the type of player we NEED.

Archived