Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I do like about Leal is that while I don’t think he has athleticism needed to guard at the B1G level or get his own shot at this point I fully believe this kid is a 4 year if not a red shirt and 4 year kid. I have no worries he would leave the program over lack of playing time. While other 4 star kids might leave over lack of playing time in the first couple years I think he would continue to work hard...and yes who knows be that Cline like scorer as an upper class man. This is a kid that will help a program get old and stay old. He can be that 13th scholly and not complain.

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The one thing I do like about Leal is that while I don’t think he has athleticism needed to guard at the B1G level or get his own shot at this point I fully believe this kid is a 4 year if not a red shirt and 4 year kid. I have no worries he would leave the program over lack of playing time. While other 4 star kids might leave over lack of playing time in the first couple years I think he would continue to work hard...and yes who knows be that Cline like scorer as an upper class man. This is a kid that will help a program get old and stay old. He can be that 13th scholly and not complain.

4 year player? Yes. Red Shirt? No. 4 star top 100 recruits almost never red shirt unless there’s an injury. 

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Didnt Duke have a 5 star red shirt this year and have it up when Zion got hurt?  

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Race Thompson was a 4 star top 100 recruit and he redshirted then got hurt and essentially took another year off 

In both cases those players reclassified in order to get on campus a year early and start working on their games. It was a stipulation in both Duke and IU taking them a year early.

Well Leal likely wouldn’t see the floor his freshman year is the only reason I suggest it. Playing behind a senior Durham and sophomore Franklin. If we land our top target Morton why not redshirt? He may be a 4 star recruit but he would be a defensive liability in the B1G and the way Archie has proven with his rotations Leal likely wouldn’t see the floor if that is the case.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well Leal likely wouldn’t see the floor his freshman year is the only reason I suggest it. Playing behind a senior Durham and sophomore Franklin. If we land our top target Morton why not redshirt? He may be a 4 star recruit but he would be a defensive liability in the B1G and the way Archie has proven with his rotations Leal likely wouldn’t see the floor if that is the case.

What would you rather have? A defensive liability or a 3 point sharp shooter?

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

What would you rather have? A defensive liability or a 3 point sharp shooter?

Huh?? Obviously a 3 pt shooter...but I think you mean a non-defensive liability. Obviously there are varying degrees of each...from what I see...Leals defensive deficiencies outweigh his offensive abilities because he also can’t create for himself at this level either. The pace of play...he just isn’t ready yet. Let him ease into things.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Huh?? Obviously a 3 pt shooter...but I think you mean a non-defensive liability. Obviously there are varying degrees of each...from what I see...Leals defensive deficiencies outweigh his offensive abilities because he also can’t create for himself at this level either. The pace of play...he just isn’t ready yet. Let him ease into things.

I'm not sure I'm following... did you mention in another post as Leal as a defensive liability?

Ok.. I went back and read again and you did categorize Leal as a defensive liability... where in the heck are you drawing that conclusion from? I happen to think that's his best attribute and was ultimately the deciding factor in me thinking we should offer him. 

Btw.. IE team that Leal, Lander, Galloway play on is big time. 

I know it's a highlight video, but I saw a kid taking and making difficult threes. Guys don't usually have the green light to take step backs 2 feet behind the arc unless they can really shoot it.

From what I've heard Leal is a good athlete, not sure where the defensive liability talk is coming from. He also has good size for his position at 6'5". Maybe those who have seen him play more can chime in.

He loves IU, good shooter, and with proper coaching should develop into a solid defender. I'm thinking Matt McQuaid without the awful neck beard. Seems like a useful player, I hope we offer.

4 hours ago, Shooter said:

I know it's a highlight video, but I saw a kid taking and making difficult threes. Guys don't usually have the green light to take step backs 2 feet behind the arc unless they can really shoot it.

From what I've heard Leal is a good athlete, not sure where the defensive liability talk is coming from. He also has good size for his position at 6'5". Maybe those who have seen him play more can chime in.

He loves IU, good shooter, and with proper coaching should develop into a solid defender. I'm thinking Matt McQuaid without the awful neck beard. Seems like a useful player, I hope we offer.

I've coached against him. This kid takes a backseat to no one athletically and I guarantee in the weight room (obvious he has spent a lot of time in there). 

His legs arent OG like, but he has spent his fair share of time doing squats. 

I watched him do a a 360 windmill in warmups before our game(off a bounce). He defended us 84 ft. He spotted for 3, he could paint fake and take us off the dribble, and he rebounds well. 

Dgambills opinion is flat out misinformed. Idk if he'll be a 42% 3pt shooter for his career like McQuaid, but I bet he ends up better at everything else. 

Are we forgetting where Leal plays his HS ball? Are we forgetting he plays for IE? 

You don't get on the court at either of those places without defending. Period. I thought Bloomington South was by far the best defensive team we played all year (maybe a tie with Floyd). And we played Greensburg, Col North, NA, Jeff, FC, Silver Creek, and Batesville. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I've coached against him. This kid takes a backseat to no one athletically and I guarantee in the weight room (obvious he has spent a lot of time in there). 

His legs arent OG like, but he has spent his fair share of time doing squats. 

I watched him do a a 360 windmill in warmups before our game. He defended us 84 ft. He spotted for 3, he could paint fake and take us off the dribble, and he rebounds well. 

Dgambills opinion is flat out misinformed. Idk if he'll be a 42% 3pt shooter for his career like McQuaid, but I bet he ends up better at everything else. 

Are we forgetting where Leal plays his HS ball? Are we forgetting he plays for IE? 

You don't get on the court at either of those places without defending. Period. I thought Bloomington South was by far the best defensive team we played all year (maybe a tie with Floyd). And we played Greensburg, Col North, NA, Jeff, FC, Silver Creek, and Batesville. 

Appreciate the report. How would you rate him as a shooter? Elite level like Hulls or Ziesloft? Pretty good, like a Robert Johnson? White guy who gets billed as a shooter, but not really (like Austin Etherington)?

I just don't get this one.  Given the program's current status- what exactly makes us think Leal couldn't help us?  I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we missed the NCAA three years in a row and we're not considered a lock to make it next year.  Are we really that arrogant/delusional to snub a guy rated 75-150 in the nation?  

I'm sure someone will reply..."Archie knows better than you."....this is true, but smart people do stupid things.

30 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Appreciate the report. How would you rate him as a shooter? Elite level like Hulls or Ziesloft? Pretty good, like a Robert Johnson? White guy who gets billed as a shooter, but not really (like Austin Etherington)?

He isnt Hulls or Z. 

He's RoJo level of 3pt... but bigger and more athletic. (Not as good off the dribble though, thatd be the biggest difference between the two). 

I still want dgambill to tell me why he's a defensive liability. 

Archived