Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Yes

Thanks. We all knew about the in home on Monday.  But I... for one did not  know about the game watch this weekend.  Thanks for sharing.  As you are fast becoming an essential contributor to Hoosier Sports Nation

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Can't speak to the games this weekend.  But I have plenty to say about other things.  Here's a kid who grew up an IU fan.  Who's parents have season tickets to IU games. And has proved to be an up and coming nationally recognized BB talent. And still has not gotten an offer to IU ?  IMHO, one had better come after Monday !

So we complained that Crean handed out offers like candy basically devaluing them. Now we complain because Archie doesn't hand them out early enough?

It seems to me that Archie has a process for how and when he makes offers to make the most impact to the recruits and their families. I would be interested to hear Mrs. Leal's take on whether or not they feel slighted by not having an official offer yet.

3 minutes ago, IUaic said:

So we complained that Crean handed out offers like candy basically devaluing them. Now we complain because Archie doesn't hand them out early enough?

It seems to me that Archie has a process for how and when he makes offers to make the most impact to the recruits and their families. I would be interested to hear Mrs. Leal's take on whether or not they feel slighted by not having an official offer yet.

There could be some of that, especially since they are from IU's backyard. I would think that Archie has been honest and forthright to the Leal family, which could ease any worries or hurt feelings. However, I believe Archie and staff are very meticulous and not so knee jerk, as Crean seemed to be. 

4 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I agree.  No need to jump the gun on any kid.  Duke and Kentucky slide into the picture very late on top 10 kids, and get them.. and here we are, nervous Nellie's because we havent offered a 2020 kid yet. Dont care where hes from, dont preach blue blood and act like mid major.  

9 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Please allow me to make myself clear.  While it is very true that Crean basically handed out offers, based on if a kid had a heartbeat. Indiana kid or not.  The Williams kid in Florida being one of many examples.  There is a huge difference here. Not only is Anthony a rising talent on the national scene.  He is in Archie's backyard, so to speak.  And if Archie is to live up to his word about locking up the state of Indiana..... no better way to prove it, by locking up this kid in the Heart of the State. 

Good point you have there about the family.  I would like to know, how many times Archie has been seen in the school.  If Tom Crean could manage to be seen several times in the Overland gym, here in Colorado, to see De'Ron.... there should be no reason why Archie can't make it to Bloomington South.  NOW... having sad that.  I have no clue what Archie has done in terms of recruiting Anthony.  All I know is as of today, Archie has yet to offer Anthony, is all I am saying.  A shooting guard. One of our major needs. Not only an Indiana kid. But also one in Archie's backyard.  I do trust in Archie, as you seem to do, as well. However, this one has me scratching my head.

8 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree.  No need to jump the gun on any kid.  Duke and Kentucky slide into the picture very late on top 10 kids, and get them.. and here we are, nervous Nellie's because we havent offered a 2020 kid yet. Dont care where hes from, dont preach blue blood and act like mid major.  

Personally, I don't feel as if IU would be jumping the gun, by offering Anthony now.  As Anthony is already racking up offers. Did Knight jump the gun, when he offered Damon Bailey ?  Point being... if a HC has talent in his state, especially if that talent fills a spot we desperately need... he better, in the least make an offer.  I am tired of seeing some of Indiana's best go out of state, when we have scholarships to offer.

I really enjoyed watching him play vs Columbus East this past season- he played with a maturity beyond his years, both athletically and mentally.  My favorite moment was when Jager from BHS intentionally kicked/stepped on a player's head from East (well, that part wasn't my favorite, but the aftermath was...).  Of course, tempers flared and there was the normal scrum.  Watching Leal diffuse the situation impressed me thoroughly- he has a confidence and commands respect without being arrogant, if that makes sense.  Want this kid in the Hall!

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Personally, I don't feel as if IU would be jumping the gun, by offering Anthony now.  As Anthony is already racking up offers. Did Knight jump the gun, when he offered Damon Bailey ?  Point being... if a HC has talent in his state, especially if that talent fills a spot we desperately need... he better, in the least make an offer.  I am tired of seeing some of Indiana's best go out of state, when we have scholarships to offer.

We will definitely disagree on this one.  You cant compare Damon to Leal, its not even remotely in the same galaxy.  I dont want to burn a scholly we could possibly use on an elite player...  thats a blanket statement,  not talking about Leal personally.   I hope he ends up a Hoosier as well, but we dont have to act desperate.  Which we are

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good point you have there about the family.  I would like to know, how many times Archie has been seen in the school.  If Tom Crean could manage to be seen several times in the Overland gym, here in Colorado, to see De'Ron.... there should be no reason why Archie can't make it to Bloomington South.  NOW... having sad that.  I have no clue what Archie has done in terms of recruiting Anthony.  All I know is as of today, Archie has yet to offer Anthony, is all I am saying.  A shooting guard. One of our major needs. Not only an Indiana kid. But also one in Archie's backyard.  I do trust in Archie, as you seem to do, as well. However, this one has me scratching my head.

The highlighted part is where I feel we are jumping the gun. None of us know what Archie has communicated to the Leal's (why I was interested in Mrs. Leal's input). He could have told them he doesn't give out offers until the end of a player's Junior year of HS, hence the in home on Monday as the opportunity to do just that.

I don't think it is Archie that is causing us to currently miss on recruits. I think it is more of the locker room issue that led to a worse than expected season. Now Archie has to convince recruits that last season will never happen again because he is bringing in his own players with his mindset.

12 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

We will definitely disagree on this one.  You cant compare Damon to Leal, its not even remotely in the same galaxy.  I dont want to burn a scholly we could possibly use on an elite player...  thats a blanket statement,  not talking about Leal personally.   I hope he ends up a Hoosier as well, but we dont have to act desperate.  Which we are

No desperation in regards to Archie. It's desperation or panic in the eyes of fans who want results NOW. Look,...some of these guys aren't jumping to IU for obvious reasons....W-L record, lack of NCAA tourneys, etc. The fact that IU is even IN many of these top 20-50 players favorites is all due to Archie and staff. If you want to define acting desperate while recruiting, just look at the previous coach and his recruiting resume. He was able to find good players at times, but often signed "head scratchers".

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

No desperation in regards to Archie. It's desperation or panic in the eyes of fans who want result NOW. Look, some of these guys aren't jumping to IU for obvious reasons....W-L record, lack of NCAA tourneys, etc. The fact that IU is even IN many of these top 20-50 players favorites is all due to Archie and staff. If you want to define acting desperate while recruiting, just look at the previous coach and his recruiting resume. He was able to find good players at times, but often signed "head scratchers".

I agree, I was 100% talking about the fans.  Archie is doing exactly what hes supposed to do, when running a storied program.  The only 2020 kids committing right now, are ones who have been offered by their "dream" school. Or those who are afraid they may not have a spot... its too early in my opinion 

21 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Not disagreeing but in fairness which elite players are lined up to come here. Elite players have a spot on any team. All coaches have players get "creaned" or " high lifed"  there's always room for talent and you find space

26 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

My mentioning Damon was based on when he was offered. Not trying to compare the two, other than when they were or have not been offered.  Does not matter to me.  One of the best Indiana has to offer, should have had an IU offer by now.  Just look at the schools who already have offered.

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not disagreeing but in fairness which elite players are lined up to come here. Elite players have a spot on any team. All coaches have players get "creaned" or " high lifed"  there's always room for talent and you find space

Im not saying we do currently.  Just saying with the time frame, a lot of things could happen. We have a great upcoming season, players really develop over this summer, whatever it may be. Im saying we have a lot of time before 2020. And I agree we need kids like Leal, my posts are nothing to do with him directly.  Personally i think it would be silly for us to offer early, and as equally silly for him to accept.  

14 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Im not saying we do currently.  Just saying with the time frame, a lot of things could happen. We have a great upcoming season, players really develop over this summer, whatever it may be. Im saying we have a lot of time before 2020. And I agree we need kids like Leal, my posts are nothing to do with him directly.  Personally i think it would be silly for us to offer early, and as equally silly for him to accept.  

I may be completely off base here but I would rather be early to the party than late.

Romeo was the exception not the rule we cant swoop in last moment and steal kids. There seems to always be enough transfers to make a miss not as significant. 

I think we can get to the place that you are describing but right now we are not close

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I may be completely off base here but I would rather be early to the party than late.

Romeo was the exception not the rule we cant swoop in last moment and steal kids. There seems to always be enough transfers to make a miss not as significant. 

I think we can get to the place that you are describing but right now we are not close

I dont disagree.  But when the miss is a local kid, the ripple effect  is felt more.  I would rather be 100% sure on locals, not "well hes the best in our back yard at the time" 

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I dont disagree.  But when the miss is a local kid, the ripple effect  is felt more.  I would rather be 100% sure on locals, not "well hes the best in our back yard at the time" 

Agree but I think it goes the other way even more so. RP is going to be a thorn in the PU side for years if we get the ship righted.

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

ok, When Archie took over, there was one Indiana kid on scholarship (Hartman). In two seasons he has bumped that to 5 (RP, DA, JB, TJD, AF). WIth JB being the only upperclassman (JR), this number should bump next year. I'm pretty happy with AM's Indiana recruiting. He will miss on a player here and there, but the trend is positive.

5 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

ok, When Archie took over, there was one Indiana kid on scholarship (Hartman). In two seasons he has bumped that to 5 (RP, DA, JB, TJD, AF). WIth JB being the only upperclassman (JR), this number should bump next year. I'm pretty happy with AM's Indiana recruiting. He will miss on a player here and there, but the trend is positive.

I agree,  they have done a fine job in state

I just can't help but think of the Kyle Guy recruitment in this situation. Correct me if my recollection is wrong, but didn't Crean hold off on offering and have other priorities until very late in his recruitment. Seem to recall Crean was worried he couldn't guard on a B1G level. Guy then blows up at a huge AAU tournament prior to senior year,  and Tony Bennett's prior relationship is rewarded over the late comers to the party. Could Leal be on a similar development trajectory?

15 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I just can't help but think of the Kyle Guy recruitment in this situation. Correct me if my recollection is wrong, but didn't Crean hold off on offering and have other priorities until very late in his recruitment. Seem to recall Crean was worried he couldn't guard on a B1G level. Guy then blows up at a huge AAU tournament prior to senior year,  and Tony Bennett's prior relationship is rewarded over the late comers to the party. Could Leal be on a similar development trajectory?

Pretty sure Crean said, "who's he going to guard?"

Goes on to be on the nation's top ranked defense.  

Archived