Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

1 minute ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

You sir are helping my argument. Quit chasing the stars next to the name! Obviously IU did a poor job scouting Bane. I know this for a fact. Purdue was interested. Maybe they do a better job of scouting Indiana kids?

If he was unranked, didn't basically everyone do a bad job of scouting him? I don't know his story.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ehhh now wait a minute...none of IUs championships under Knight would have been possible without out of state kids...I mean major contributors. I agree recruiting fell off at the end of Knights time but none of the kids you mentioned I think took away from the team...in reality Knights demeanor and changing of kids going into college basketball from AAU etc was what hurt us...and yes we have been slow to recover. We aren’t UK...we don’t recruit nationally to get our kids. A good 60-40 ratio of Indiana to outside the state I think is a healthy makeup.

Never did I say not to recruit out of state kids. But you build a culture by filling your roster with Indiana kids. Especially ones like Leal. Kids that want to wear that jersey. Sorry if this offends, but I'll take Leal over the Stanley Robinsons, Justin Smiths, and Curtis Jones all day. I'm tired of watching kids who feel like they are doing IU a favor by being here. 

1 minute ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Never did I say not to recruit out of state kids. But you build a culture by filling your roster with Indiana kids. Especially ones like Leal. Kids that want to wear that jersey. Sorry if this offends, but I'll take Leal over the Stanley Robinsons, Justin Smiths, and Curtis Jones all day. I'm tired of watching kids who feel like they are doing IU a favor by being here. 

I agree 100%  I like where we are going with Indiana kids on our roster.  As long as they fit and have the talent

Just now, HOOSIER1321 said:

Ok but do you take them over the Quinn Buckners, Scott Mays, Dean Garretts, Isiah Thomas, Daryl Thomas, Eric Anderson’s etc etc...because to get them there is an Indiana kid we passed over. Watford can be just as passionate about being a Hoosier and build a winning program as anyone currently on ours. Ethan Morton same....Indiana HS kids don’t have an exclusive gene that makes them superior or play harder etc etc. Identify what you want to play...and find the best that fit your system. If they are in our state great.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok but do you take them over the Quinn Buckners, Scott Mays, Dean Garretts, Isiah Thomas, Daryl Thomas, Eric Anderson’s etc etc...because to get them there is an Indiana kid we passed over. Watford can be just as passionate about being a Hoosier and build a winning program as anyone currently on ours. Ethan Morton same....Indiana HS kids don’t have an exclusive gene that makes them superior or play harder etc etc. Identify what you want to play...and find the best that fit your system. If they are in our state great.

The state literally has 50-70% of what we need. 

19 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I don't disagree with you, but sounds like you're upset with previous coaches, not the current one. The current coach has recruited and signed, Romeo Langford, Rob Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Aarman Franklin and Joey Brunk. It also sounds like he's about to offer Anthony Leal on Monday.  

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Bigger than kids his age ?  And more mature ?   And this is why some schools have not offered ?  I don't understand the logic.  But I do love you're being a member of Hoosier Sports Nation

He has been a year older than the kids in his grade because his parents held him back.  He really should be in the class of 2019 which is why he can reclass if he wanted to.  The question on him has he been that good or has he been just more physically mature than kids in his class.  Not that hard to comprehend.  

17 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

He has been a year older than the kids in his grade because his parents held him back.  He really should be in the class of 2019 which is why he can reclass if he wanted to.  The question on him has he been that good or has he been just more physically mature than kids in his class.  Not that hard to comprehend.  

Seems a little snarky for an honest question.  It did say bigger and more mature for his age not grade . Big difference so it may be hard to comprehend.  

8 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

In Colorado.... we call it "Redshirting".  Usually done when kids of the same age are not as big as others in their class..... mostly due to the time of year they were born.  Never the less... I can't find fault for his parents holding him back... for what ever reason.... if they felt that was the right thing to do.  From all I have been able to gather, it was a good decision on their part.

Now  that I know that Anthony was "Redshirted" by his parents.... not only does it make sense to me.... but also answers the questions I had of you.  Thanks for the additional information that I was not aware of.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

No. And this proves you are still missing my point. NO ONE IS SAYING YOU DONT RECRUIT OUT OF STATE KIDS. What you don't recruit are kids that feel like they are doing a favor by coming to IU. I'll take the guys you mentioned, add some Guyton, White, Oladipo, Watford and Sheehey and be good. What I'm tired of is recruiting Mr. #45 in the recruiting rankings who take IU for granted over #95 who would run through a wall to wear the uniform.

2 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Why this kid is not offered yet is puzzling and sad to me. I was watching the 1993 game vs Michigan on YouTube and IU had the following players all from Indiana:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

They weren't too bad that year. Lol. I don't get why a return to these kind of rosters isn't priority one. Oh. And by the way. IU won that game. Against 5 5stars

Well right now we have RP, Anderson, TJD, Franklin and had Romeo last year so Archie is doing pretty well keeping Indiana id sin state.  He also will have Brunk on the roster next year so right now 5 out of the 11 players on our roster is from Indiana.

Response to several different comments in this thread:

- No, we are not Kentucky and we don’t recruit nationally, now. For quite some time we had to look outside the state due to the IU coaches, going back to the end of the RMK era, pissing off many of the high school coaches throughout the state. CTC did bring in a few, but mishandled or misjudged Patterson and Hollowell, and didn’t win enough with Cody and Ferrell. CAM appears to be working extremely hard, and seems to be mending fences within the state. Imo, if the choice comes down to two equally talented kids who fill a need, take the local kid and continue to repair broken relationships.

- No, Indiana kids don’t have a special gene that makes them superior to out of state kids. Where they do benefit, imo is in the depth of high school basketball here. Depth as in superior coaching across the state from young ages on up. Depth in that by and large, kids will have competed against pretty skilled opponents throughout their high school career. Again, imo, kids from many other states are not going to have the exposure to consistently high quality opponents both on the floor and in the coaching ranks.

- Imo, no kid should be chastised for wanting to go out of state to play, nor should every time a kid makes that decision should it be viewed as a miss by the coaches. The transition from the womb that is high school, living at home with parents, tons of attention and adulation, etc., to going off to college and living on one’s own is a landmark time for young adults. Everyone here has either gone through it or is in the midst of it. Some kids just need to get away from home, live somewhere different, get away from the pressure to be the “ hometown boy makes good “ situation. Nothing wrong with that, and if it’s the best way for a teenager to become a man, so be it. From a basketball standpoint, we’d like to see all the best kids stay in state. The reality is that for some, that’s not the best decision.

As always, just my opinions 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Response to several different comments in this thread:

- No, we are not Kentucky and we don’t recruit nationally, now. For quite some time we had to look outside the state due to the IU coaches, going back to the end of the RMK era, pissing off many of the high school coaches throughout the state. CTC did bring in a few, but mishandled or misjudged Patterson and Hollowell, and didn’t win enough with Cody and Ferrell. CAM appears to be working extremely hard, and seems to be mending fences within the state. Imo, if the choice comes down to two equally talented kids who fill a need, take the local kid and continue to repair broken relationships.

- No, Indiana kids don’t have a special gene that makes them superior to out of state kids. Where they do benefit, imo is in the depth of high school basketball here. Depth as in superior coaching across the state from young ages on up. Depth in that by and large, kids will have competed against pretty skilled opponents throughout their high school career. Again, imo, kids from many other states are not going to have the exposure to consistently high quality opponents both on the floor and in the coaching ranks.

- Imo, no kid should be chastised for wanting to go out of state to play, nor should every time a kid makes that decision should it be viewed as a miss by the coaches. The transition from the womb that is high school, living at home with parents, tons of attention and adulation, etc., to going off to college and living on one’s own is a landmark time for young adults. Everyone here has either gone through it or is in the midst of it. Some kids just need to get away from home, live somewhere different, get away from the pressure to be the “ hometown boy makes good “ situation. Nothing wrong with that, and if it’s the best way for a teenager to become a man, so be it. From a basketball standpoint, we’d like to see all the best kids stay in state. The reality is that for some, that’s not the best decision.

As always, just my opinions 

I'm just curious and not challenging your position on your second point.  I'm curious as to how you came to your opinion?  Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I don't live in Indiana and I don't watch hs bb.  So I fully admit I have no clue.  Do you see teams from other states and regions?  How do you make your assessments?

I do believe that high school coaching in Indiana is the best in the nation. Kids in Indiana get the best basics, without having to go the out of state route. And that includes Lalu.   That should lead to something. And as to why Indiana kids should be a priority to Coach Miller.  I believe , also, that unlike Coach Crean, Archie has not alienated the coaches in Indiana.  It is my belief that Archie should take advantage of the relationship he has established with coaches in Indiana.  Especially in Bloomington. Too easy for that.

29 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I do believe that high school coaching in Indiana is the best in the nation. Kids in Indiana get the best basics, without having to go the out of state route. And that includes Lalu.   That should lead to something. And as to why Indiana kids should be a priority to Coach Miller.  I believe , also, that unlike Coach Crean, Archie has not alienated the coaches in Indiana.  It is my belief that Archie should take advantage of the relationship he has established with coaches in Indiana.  Especially in Bloomington. Too easy for that.

Honestly, how many teams have won a championship in the last 20 years without at least one Indiana player?  I feel like UNC always wins when they land some Indiana center.

50 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm just curious and not challenging your position on your second point.  I'm curious as to how you came to your opinion?  Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I don't live in Indiana and I don't watch hs bb.  So I fully admit I have no clue.  Do you see teams from other states and regions?  How do you make your assessments?

Lived , taught and coached in Wisconsin for 8 years. Family who played high school basketball in Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico and have friends whose kids played in Texas, Georgia and Illinois. Also, my company has sponsored competitions between kids from Indiana and Ohio. 

There are certainly pockets outside of Indiana with excellent high school basketball. However I don’t believe any of them have the quantity of high level teams and coaches that exist here .

Archived