Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lived , taught and coached in Wisconsin for 8 years. Family who played high school basketball in Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico and have friends whose kids played in Texas, Georgia and Illinois. Also, my company has sponsored competitions between kids from Indiana and Ohio. 

There are certainly pockets outside of Indiana with excellent high school basketball. However I don’t believe any of them have the quantity of high level teams and coaches that exist here .

Thanks!  I understand how your opinion was formed.  Appreciate it!  😁

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d be willing to bet he has an offer on Monday if he plays well this weekend. And that doesn’t mean scoring a ton. 

He is ours to lose, and I have a feeling our staff knows that. 

Feeling an offer and commitment next week! (No insider info, just gut). I’m 1-1 on my gut (phinisee)

36 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Honestly, how many teams have won a championship in the last 20 years without at least one Indiana player?  I feel like UNC always wins when they land some Indiana center.

Cody's brother should have never left the state for UNC.

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Honestly, how many teams have won a championship in the last 20 years without at least one Indiana player?  I feel like UNC always wins when they land some Indiana center.

I did a quick check of National Championship games going back to 2000. 

2001: Arizona (runner up) - Jason Gardner

2002: Multiple (runner up)

2003: Syracuse- Keith Duany 

2005: UNC - Sean May

2007: OSU (runner up)- Conley, Oden, Titus

2009: UNC - Tyler Zeller

2010: Duke - 2 Plumlees

2011: Butler (runner up) - multiple

2012: UK - Marquise Teague

2013: UL - StephenVan Treese

2015: Duke - Marshall Plumlee

2019: UVA - Kyle Guy

So it looks like 12 of the last 19 championship games have featured a player from Indiana. 

58 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I did a quick check of National Championship games going back to 2000. 

2001: Arizona (runner up) - Jason Gardner

2002: Multiple (runner up)

2003: Syracuse- Keith Duany 

2005: UNC - Sean May

2007: OSU (runner up)- Conley, Oden, Titus

2009: UNC - Tyler Zeller

2010: Duke - 2 Plumlees

2011: Butler (runner up) - multiple

2012: UK - Marquise Teague

2013: UL - StephenVan Treese

2015: Duke - Marshall Plumlee

2019: UVA - Kyle Guy

So it looks like 12 of the last 19 championship games have featured a player from Indiana. 

I’d say featured is a strong word....included would be accurate. We do have wonderful players but you can tell that coaches value top level AAU as a much better indicator of talent then HS basketball. No matter how many good basketball teams you play in HS you may match up once or twice a year against another division 1 opponent at your position. You face elite talent basically every time you step on the floor in AAU and can better gauge your level of athleticism and ability against other elite players. We may not think it but it’s clear those recruiting do. I do think we should rarely have to look outside the state of Indiana for guards...the state has an abundance but if you want those elite athletic wings and especially big men there are going to be years we just are going to have to look outside the state...for one Purdue and others are going to fight us for them but mostly there just isn’t enough to go around. Right now we are at such a low level of quality on this team we have to look under every stone to get this turned around quickly...but soon enough I think we will see a majority of Indiana HS kids on the team.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Cody's brother should have never left the state for UNC.

Agreed.  But at that time Sampson was the coach at IU right?

I played summer ball with Luke, young Tyler, and their dad.  Good Christian people, the kind of people like me who would be turned off by the environment  allowed by Sampson. That, to me, is the main reason Tyler looked elsewhere.  

Would have loved to see him at IU. And Luke too.  

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agreed.  But at that time Sampson was the coach at IU right?

I played summer ball with Luke, young Tyler, and their dad.  Good Christian people, the kind of people like me who would be turned off by the environment  allowed by Sampson. That, to me, is the main reason Tyler looked elsewhere.  

Would have loved to see him at IU. And Luke too.  

Yep. Sampson hurt IU in more ways than tarnishing our reputation. It's really cool to learn that you played summer ball with the likes of Luke and Tyler.

19 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Why this kid is not offered yet is puzzling and sad to me. I was watching the 1993 game vs Michigan on YouTube and IU had the following players all from Indiana:

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Pat Graham

Alan Henderson

Damon Bailey

Todd Leary 

Matt Nover

Brian Evans

They weren't too bad that year. Lol. I don't get why a return to these kind of rosters isn't priority one. Oh. And by the way. IU won that game. Against 5 5stars

You know what the Indiana kids above have in common? None of them hung a banner.

Isiah Thomas-Ill, Jim Thomas-Fla., Glen Grunwald-Il., Tony Brown-Il., Tony Freemen-Il., Todd Jadlow-KS., Magnus Pelkowski-Colo. Rick Calloway-Oh., Dean Garrett-Ca., Keith Smart-La., Daryl Thomas-Il., Todd Meyer-Wi., Dave Minor-Oh., Steve Eyl-Oh., Joe Hillman-Ca., Brian Slone-Il.

These are kids from out of state who helped hang the last 2 banners. Did you know the 87 championship team only had 3, yes 3, kids from Indiana on the roster? It doesn't matter where kids are from as long as they are good kids and WIN!!

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You know what the Indiana kids above have in common? None of them hung a banner.

Isiah Thomas-Ill, Jim Thomas-Fla., Glen Grunwald-Il., Tony Brown-Il., Tony Freemen-Il., Todd Jadlow-KS., Magnus Pelkowski-Colo. Rick Calloway-Oh., Dean Garrett-Ca., Keith Smart-La., Daryl Thomas-Il., Todd Meyer-Wi., Dave Minor-Oh., Steve Eyl-Oh., Joe Hillman-Ca., Brian Slone-Il.

These are kids from out of state who helped hang the last 2 banners. Did you know the 87 championship team only had 3, yes 3, kids from Indiana on the roster? It doesn't matter where kids are from as long as they are good kids and WIN!!

Excellent point.  

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The '81 team started 4 native Hoosiers.  The '87 team is a curious one.

20 minutes ago, Indykev said:

But it has to start here.. we have to start getting more and more of our own.. and then branch out. Just like Archie mentioned in his press conference. 

2017 Indiana Recruiting 

Scruggs 13p 5r 3a @ Xavier 

Williams 8p 6r @ UL

Wilkes 17p 4r @ UCLA 

We cant have years where we dont get one or two of guys like that.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

The '81 team started 4 native Hoosiers.  The '87 team is a curious one.

76 had a good balance of both. Seems it can work either way. I just want a nice balance. One thing I would worry about the most is almost all Indiana kids and them trying to bring in an outsider and he have a hard time connecting and fitting in. Kids want to play with others they like etc. Not saying it would but it could get real clickie if 10 out 13 were Indiana kids that played AAU together etc and an outsider tries to fit in...could scare off recruits.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

76 had a good balance of both. Seems it can work either way. I just want a nice balance. One thing I would worry about the most is almost all Indiana kids and them trying to bring in an outsider and he have a hard time connecting and fitting in. Kids want to play with others they like etc. Not saying it would but it could get real clickie if 10 out 13 were Indiana kids that played AAU together etc and an outsider tries to fit in...could scare off recruits.

When you have the talent Indiana has in its own state and backyard you for sure want to set up tent and make that a priority.  However, there is basketball talent all over the country and you do not want to overlook that fact.

The good teams from IU had midwest kids all over it, and that is a great recipe and one for success.

With that being said Crean emphasis was on the east coast, which is why he brought in the assistants he did.  Many beleive that part of the country has the grit talent.  I beleive if you focus on PA, Ohio, IL and Indiana we will be in good shape.  Less travel time for the coaches, and more focus on developing players.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Agreed, you dont have to live in Indiana to be an Indiana kid....but an Indiana kid that happens to live in Bloomington and has game; that should be a no brainer imo.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

'87 does not hang banner without Alford though.  In state is always first priority, unless you are talking about Montana State.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

When you have the talent Indiana has in its own state and backyard you for sure want to set up tent and make that a priority.  However, there is basketball talent all over the country and you do not want to overlook that fact.

The good teams from IU had midwest kids all over it, and that is a great recipe and one for success.

With that being said Crean emphasis was on the east coast, which is why he brought in the assistants he did.  Many beleive that part of the country has the grit talent.  I beleive if you focus on PA, Ohio, IL and Indiana we will be in good shape.  Less travel time for the coaches, and more focus on developing players.

Agree 100%...with Archie’s connections in Pennsylvania and Ohio and our home state...you can win a lot of games with those kids!

Archived