Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

18 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem with Illinois is you have Illinois Missouri and now SLU fighting for those players along with Duke and Northwestern because the elite Illinois kids traditionally love going to Duke or staying close to home.

Yep. Can't disagree with you.  Scandals and cheating have haunted Illinois kids for over a decade now.

Derrick Rose Cheated, But Will Never Pay The Price

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Can't disagree with you.  Scandals and cheating have haunted Illinois kids for over a decade now.

In the new entitled society we owe these kids money and houses not just an education so pretty soon this will be the norm everywhere....I mean heck the Desousa kid is eligible to play this year after all the evidence he was asking for money at Kansas last year...what the heck is the point anymore?! Honestly I was so proud we had a clean program back in the Knight years but I think that is just as outdated as good ol hard coaching..perhaps it’s time to evolve like all the other blue bloods...I mean let’s be real...the ones at the top are all “cheating” with no questions from the NCAA maybe we need to get with the times.

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In the new entitled society we owe these kids money and houses not just an education so pretty soon this will be the norm everywhere....I mean heck the Desousa kid is eligible to play this year after all the evidence he was asking for money at Kansas last year...what the heck is the point anymore?! Honestly I was so proud we had a clean program back in the Knight years but I think that is just as outdated as good ol hard coaching..perhaps it’s time to evolve like all the other blue bloods...I mean let’s be real...the ones at the top are all “cheating” with no questions from the NCAA maybe we need to get with the times.

The last 2 champions don't seem to have followed that model...I think I'd rather Coach Miller go that route.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Speaking of cheating and Missouri do you think it’s cheating if a coach hires a parent who may or may not be qualified or a kid’s AAU coach to get that elite player?

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The last 2 champions don't seem to have followed that model...I think I'd rather Coach Miller go that route.

Yeah but look at the teams that consistently get to elite 8s and final 4s and it’s the Dukes, UNC, UK, Kansas, and this year Auburn who was involved with Chuck Person and LSU was a s16 team and won their conference. we can win without it but it is frustrating to see nothjng happen to the select few.

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Speaking of cheating and Missouri do you think it’s cheating if a coach hires a parent who may or may not be qualified or a kid’s AAU coach to get that elite player?

Hmm. I would say if you make a new position for them yes. 

Another wuestion should parents of players be eligible to coach these AAU teams and receive money...or should there be a cap or reporting on it? I mean we are talking 6 figures for most and these shoe companies who are directly in contract with universities to me shouldn’t be paying (kids parents).

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Heck.  Archie even went into enemy territory, and stole a kid out of Lafayette.  Rob P. was the first  IU scholarship player to come out Lafayette, since 1948.  If that's not working the state from inside out. Then, I don't know what is.

Next.  Archie has got to work Northwest Indiana hard.  Dakich came from Merrillville ( Andrean High School).  It's time to snag another from NWI. 

I would suggest that the entire northern part of the state has been neglected. Plenty of Division 1 talent in the Ft Wayne area. Very few make it to Bloomington. 

Hopefully, Furst changes that 

32 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yes.  Once again, it goes back decades.  And once again to the University of Kansas.

WANTED: COACH AND SON - The New York Times

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah but look at the teams that consistently get to elite 8s and final 4s and it’s the Dukes, UNC, UK, Kansas, and this year Auburn who was involved with Chuck Person and LSU was a s16 team and won their conference. we can win without it but it is frustrating to see nothjng happen to the select few.

But two of those teams pretty much were caught cheating but nothing happened... 1. Kansas on tape regarding Zion and 2. Duke based off of what Kansas offered for Zion and Duke still landed him means no way they didn’t pay for his services... If we compare colleges they should be in tiers based off of cheating tier 1 cheaters would def be Kansas Duke Auburn LSU and probably Kentucky. Tier 1 non cheaters Would start with Gonzaga.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would suggest that the entire northern part of the state has been neglected. Plenty of Division 1 talent in the Ft Wayne area. Very few make it to Bloomington. 

Hopefully, Furst changes that 

Are you saying you would not have wanted Branden Dawson, from my old high school,  Gary Lew Wallace ?  Come on man.  There's tons on talent in NWI.  Including one current player, that would really help IU at this time.  Coach Crean went after Dawson.  Appeared in the school numerous times. But could not close the deal.  Things like that should not be happening under Coach Miller, if he intends to live up to his words about recruiting Indiana from the inside out.  And that includes the Ft. Wayne area as well. 

Or even Goshen or Warsaw for that matter.( I put that in for Rico. LOL )

No, I agree with you. Coach needs to explore the entire state.  Not just B-town, Indy, or Southern Indiana.  After all. IU provides coach with a car.  He needs to use it to explore the entire state of Indiana.

From all I hear, Indiana HS coaches like Coach Miller. Unlike Coach Crean. Coach Miller needs to build upon the relationship he has established with Indiana BB HC's. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes.  Once again, it goes back decades.  And once again to the University of Kansas.

WANTED: COACH AND SON - The New York Times

I would agree but we see how corrupt the NCAA is. What do you think it would take to shut all of these “illegal” activities down? My thinking is NCAA will still get the money they are hungry for but give up complete control of rules, regulations, and discipline. Something has to be done to fix all of these issues to create a fair playing field

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I would agree but we see how corrupt the NCAA is. What do you think it would take to shut all of these “illegal” activities down? My thinking is NCAA will still get the money they are hungry for but give up complete control of rules, regulations, and discipline. Something has to be done to fix all of these issues to create a fair playing field

I actually think it would take the FBI and an act of Congress to turn the NCAA around.  Basically, shut the NCAA down. And start all over. 

It's us. The fans that need to act. By writing our Congressmen and women, about what we think.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Are you saying you would not have wanted Branden Dawson, from my old high school,  Gary Lew Wallace ?  Come on man.  There's tons on talent in NWI.  Including one current player, that would really help IU at this time.  Coach Crean went after Dawson.  Appeared in the school numerous times. But could not close the deal.  Things like that should not be happening under Coach Miller, if he intends to live up to his words about recruiting Indiana from the inside out.  And that includes the Ft. Wayne area as well. 

Or even Goshen or Warsaw for that matter.( I put that in for Rico. LOL )

No, I agree with you. Coach needs to explore the entire state.  Not just B-town, Indy, or Southern Indiana.  After all. IU provides coach with a car.  He needs to use it to explore the entire state of Indiana.

From all I hear, Indiana HS coaches like Coach Miller. Unlike Coach Crean. Coach Miller needs to build upon the relationship he has established with Indiana BB HC's. 

Not saying that at all. You mentioned that CAM needs to focus on NW Indiana. I piggybacked on that by saying the entire northern part of the state has been neglected. 

Never said anything about not wanting players from NW. You mentioned Dawson, I ‘ll bring up Biggie, Deshaun Thomas and the Williams kid at Louisville, off the top of my head, as three from Ft Wayne who went elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not saying that at all. You mentioned that CAM needs to focus on NW Indiana. I piggybacked on that by saying the entire northern part of the state has been neglected. 

Never said anything about not wanting players from NW. You mentioned Dawson, I ‘ll bring up Biggie, Deshaun Thomas and the Williams kid at Louisville, off the top of my head, as three from Ft Wayne who went elsewhere.

Have a happy holliday. For you and yours. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I actually think it would take the FBI and an act of Congress to turn the NCAA around.  Basically, shut the NCAA down. And start all over. 

It's us. The fans that need to act. By writing our Congressmen and women, about what we think.

So tell me what is your opinion based off of what I said?

On 5/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Inside out is ideal.  Knight made a living in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.  And in addition to the in-state emphasis, Archie did pull Hunter from Ohio.  Just as Knight, originally from Ohio, might have done back in the day.  Illinois can be tricky but I hope we can pull some guys out of there too.  Peoria, Chicago suburbs, the Catholic schools.  There are opportunities.

The number of actual in-state players varied, but Knights core areas were definitely Indiana, Ohio (eastern OH specifically), and Illinois.

Then he would cherry pick: Jadlow from Kansas, Haston from Tennessee, Blab from Germany, Jim Thomas from Florida, Hornsby from Louisiana, etc.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The number of actual in-state players varied, but Knights core areas were definitely Indiana, Ohio (eastern OH specifically), and Illinois.

Then he would cherry pick: Jadlow from Kansas, Haston from Tennessee, Blab from Germany, Jim Thomas from Florida, Hornsby from Louisiana, etc.

Blab actually played high school ball in Illinois

2 hours ago, IUAndy said:

His brother also played for Jim Crews at Evansville. 

Kinda thought that.  Interesting.  After playing at IU under Knight. And after Evansville, Crews moved onto the HC gig at St. Louis.  And then stole Calbert Cheaney who was from Evansville,  from IU, who at the time was in charge of player development, under Tom Crean.  Would love to have Calbert back home again in Indiana.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Kinda thought that.  Interesting.  After playing at IU under Knight. And after Evansville, Crews moved onto the HC gig at St. Louis.  And then stole Calbert Cheaney who was from Evansville,  from IU, who at the time was in charge of player development, under Tom Crean.  Would love to have Calbert back home again in Indiana.

Calbert was one of my alltime favorite players. Always came across as pure class... Knew a thing or two about playing basketball as well. Would love to see him involved more with IU 🏀.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Agree with having Calbert back in Bloomington. It’s too bad that Creans ego clouded his thought process. Calbert wasn’t exactly stolen from the IU staff. Crean is the reason he left which is one strike I have against not only Crean but Glass also. Sugar coated for the listening ears, the separation was “mutual”. Calbert was invaluable to the program

My go to guys filled me in about his involvement and how Crean happily took credit for a lot of what Calbert brought to the table. I was hopeful he would get a look after Crean was fired. I got some backlash for even suggesting it.

On original topic, how is this recruitment going? I’m out of town a lot lately and haven’t been able to keep up. 

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

Agree with having Calbert back in Bloomington. It’s too bad that Creans ego clouded his thought process. Calbert wasn’t exactly stolen from the IU staff. Crean is the reason he left which is one strike I have against not only Crean but Glass also. Sugar coated for the listening ears, the separation was “mutual”. Calbert was invaluable to the program

My go to guys filled me in about his involvement and how Crean happily took credit for a lot of what Calbert brought to the table. I was hopeful he would get a look after Crean was fired. I got some backlash for even suggesting it.

On original topic, how is this recruitment going? I’m out of town a lot lately and haven’t been able to keep up. 

Yep. According to my sources at the time.  It was not totally, amicable between Crean and Cheaney, when Calbert took up the offer from Crews to join him (Crews ) at St. Louis.

I hope that Calbert does not hold that against IU, should a window open up for him again at IU.

As for Leal.  I have got nothing in terms of an update. 

Archived