Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Indykev said:

yeah he was deferring alright. If this kid wasn't from Btown and his mom wasnt posting here people would be going nuts as to why we are recruiting him. Look no further than the kid from France .

You seem angry lately.  Not sure I understand the need to trash this kid...it's way early to pass judgment on his value to a Big Ten program. 

IU has won with less talented kids than Anthony Leal.

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m starting to see the side of some fans that some recruits talk about.  Pretty sad really.  

IU could offer the number one player in the nation.  And some would find a way to complain about it.

Anthony is not the number one player in the nation.  But, currently he is ranked the  number one SG in Indiana, by one system, if not more.  What's wrong with that ?

If we failed to, at least offer the number one SG in the state of Indiana, I am sure some would carp about that.

18 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Okay someone sell me on why we should add this guy to our roster?  I know nothing about him but being a local and scheduling visits to Cincinnati and Stanford.  That along with 5pts tells me he’s not Big Ten worthy and let’s move along folks.  Again, sell me on why we should keep recruiting him?

I'm curious as to whether you thought Spike Albrecht was Big Ten worthy.

We want Lester Quinones of the world, but aren't overly interested in the Anthony Leals of the world. And some wonder why we haven't been relevant all that much the last 25 years. Geeesh. 

I question whether some people who post have ever been a part of a successful team or organization in their life. You cannot have a team full of 5 stars. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We want Lester Quinones of the world, but aren't overly interested in the Anthony Leals of the world. And some wonder why we haven't been relevant all that much the last 25 years. Geeesh. 

I question whether some people who post have ever been a part of a success team or organization in their life. You cannot have a team full of 5 stars. 

I would love to see Leal in candy stripes!  But confess that I haven’t been part of any sort of success ever. 

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

I would love to see Leal in candy stripes!  But confess that I haven’t been part of any sort of success ever. 

I don't mean it as I'm all high and mighty.. just saying you have to have guys who make the "right" play. Look at the Warriors with Green and Iggy... any team that's ever had success you can look at those glue guys and know that you don't get any where without them. 

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't mean it as I'm all high and mighty.. just saying you have to have guys who make the "right" play. Look at the Warriors with Green and Iggy... any team that's ever had success you can look at those glue guys and know that you don't get any where without them. 

Example of glue guys making a huge impact? Easy to forget that Iggy won the '15 Finals MVP.

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

And we had VERY few of these the last two years. 

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

I question whether some people who post have ever been a part of a successful team or organization in their life. You cannot have a team full of 5 stars. 

Truer words haven't been spoken. Good teams have alphas, betas and bench "mobs." Recruiting rankings are not the end all be all. I wonder what Calbert would have been ranked? We need guys who fit the culture as much as anything. Talent hasn't been the issue in past few years, the right mix of players has been. I think Archie knows this and is trying his best to build a team. Team building takes...gasp...a little bit of time. Yes, yes it does. And yes, that is my excuse. And yes, I can make excuses because Bob Knight Jr. isn't walking through the door. Nor are the 70s and 80s (and earlier 90s). We're not far off. First we needed defense (and I think we have that). Now we need an offensive identity. Defense is a state of mind, offense is putting together the correct pieces/roles to execute. Joe Hillman scored 41 points a game in high school, but knew his role at IU. 

I watched an interview after tonight’s All Star game where Leal was saying his knees are bothering him. That’s a shame I hope the kid can get healthy he seems like a great person. Anyone want to chime in on what’s going on with his knees? Tendinitis maybe? I know that’s painful but something you can play through. 

13 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I watched an interview after tonight’s All Star game where Leal was saying his knees are bothering him. That’s a shame I hope the kid can get healthy he seems like a great person. Anyone want to chime in on what’s going on with his knees? Tendinitis maybe? I know that’s painful but something you can play through. 

No inside info, nor am i a doctor.....but i would say 5 years or so (complete guess) of nonstop basketball without college or nba like treatment or conditioning.  And thats not a knock on anybody, kids just seem to be more specialized now and use the same muscles and make the same movements constantly now.  Years ago when kids played multiple sports didnt seem to have as many of the overuse injuries.

13 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I would guess tendinitis.  Maybe he’s about to hit a growth spurt also.  I know months before my big growth spurt my knees and back hurt like they never have before.  At least until I got old.  Only thing that fixes tendinitis is rest, not sure his schedule but hopefully he gets some soon.

30 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

No inside info, nor am i a doctor.....but i would say 5 years or so (complete guess) of nonstop basketball without college or nba like treatment or conditioning.  And thats not a knock on anybody, kids just seem to be more specialized now and use the same muscles and make the same movements constantly now.  Years ago when kids played multiple sports didnt seem to have as many of the overuse injuries.

You're seeing this more and more in baseball too, particularly among pitchers.  If you're pitching year round (even with proper rest) vs 3-4 months, by the time a kid graduates HS, he's thrown triple the amount of pitches.  If the average D1-level pitcher had thrown (blind guess) 10,000 pitches in his life at 18 a decade ago, he's now throwing 30,000.  That's why you're seeing more arm injuries and adherence to strict pitch counts, even in the majors. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I would guess tendinitis.  Maybe he’s about to hit a growth spurt also.  I know months before my big growth spurt my knees and back hurt like they never have before.  At least until I got old.  Only thing that fixes tendinitis is rest, not sure his schedule but hopefully he gets some soon.

I hope it is a growth spurt. And he grows to seven feet tall.  Can you imagine a seven foot shooting guard, who would be wearing Candy Stripes ?

I jest of course. But only partially.  You do raise a good point.  Seen many young men go through growth spurts before making it to college.  Some growth spurts have been spectacular.  Position changers, in fact. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I hope it is a growth spurt. And he grows to seven feet tall.  Can you imagine a seven foot shooting guard, who would be wearing Candy Stripes ?

I jest of course. But only partially.  You do raise a good point.  Seen many young men go through growth spurts before making it to college.  Some growth spurts have been spectacular.  Position changers, in fact. 

Maybe I am going through a growth spurt because I am having a lot of knee pain today. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I have very little cartilage left in my knee or that I am a few pounds over what I should be LOL!

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe I am going through a growth spurt because I am having a lot of knee pain today. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I have very little cartilage left in my knee or that I am a few pounds over what I should be LOL!

Or it could be arthritis.  Hey, look at me.  Making medical diagnosis's thousand miles from Indiana, to a person sight unseen !

7 Symptoms of Arthritis in the Knee

Archived