Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey Evans had an article up a few weeks back stating he is IU’s if they offer. This brings up an interesting debate for the 2020 class. We are recruiting both Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal as in-state shooting guards. Would the staff be willing to take both? Has anyone seen both play to provide any feedback?

I’d say let’s see what happens during the season and wait to see what happens with recruiting for ‘19 before we start offering guys that will snap our hands off when we do for ‘20. I don’t mean any disrespect because I don’t know anything about his game but I think we need to maybe take it a tad slower on the lock the borders up stuff. We need the right talent let’s not forget that. If they offer him then he’ll have it and if they take a wait and see approach then I believe that’s the correct decision also. I’m basically trying to say that I trust the process and judgement of this staff and we as fans should too (not that we don’t already).

On 6/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, Crimson Creamer said:

Corey Evans had an article up a few weeks back stating he is IU’s if they offer. This brings up an interesting debate for the 2020 class. We are recruiting both Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal as in-state shooting guards. Would the staff be willing to take both? Has anyone seen both play to provide any feedback?

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation.  Love your user name. 

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

At 6'4 170lb, the kid needs to get in the weight room.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I’ll bet you he does hit the weight room. Not easy for these young athletes to put on weight. 

I'm not worried about that weight at that age. Keion Brooks is a year older, an inch or two taller and only weighs 15lbs more. I'm sure he'll add some lbs by the time he starts playing in college and be just fine. 

On 6/2/2018 at 5:54 PM, ADegenerate said:

I’d say let’s see what happens during the season and wait to see what happens with recruiting for ‘19 before we start offering guys that will snap our hands off when we do for ‘20. I don’t mean any disrespect because I don’t know anything about his game but I think we need to maybe take it a tad slower on the lock the borders up stuff. We need the right talent let’s not forget that. If they offer him then he’ll have it and if they take a wait and see approach then I believe that’s the correct decision also. I’m basically trying to say that I trust the process and judgement of this staff and we as fans should too (not that we don’t already).

Keep in mind that for every Eric Gordon in the state there are also players like a Brian Evans...keep the state borders for only one key

40 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Keep in mind that for every Eric Gordon in the state there are also players like a Brian Evans...keep the state borders for only one key

Ok you got me there. It’s not often than I’ll hear a Brian Evans reference, if ever again, so you got me there. Excellently done!

Thanks, KDB!

We can go round and round forever, but I like a bias toward Indiana players for a variety of reasons.  That doesn’t mean you take a lower character kid, e.g., the movement just because they are Indiana kids.  And Victor is an ultimate IU player from the DC suburbs.  Trenton Watford fits that.  

But, I think with the outstanding coaching in the state, the emphasis and understanding of basketball, etc, I think IU could operate with 60% or more with Indiana kids.  You may really like a kid from out of state or have a need to fill so you go out of state too.  But our location in Indiana should be leveraged to the hilt, as you may be more apt to land the Indiana kid, at least for now.  Once you get the pipeline firmly established it may feed off itself and you get more and more by momentum.  Well, anyway, we know Archie is doing it, i.e, “inside out.”

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Have you heard much about how Coleman views IU?   From what little I’ve read about him, he mentioned UCLA.  I really like that he plays really hard.

I saw somewhere that Cal is going to pass a law where college coaches can only make $200,000 a year. If they do that UCLA will lose Alford and any good coach that may go there after they fire Alford.

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I saw somewhere that Cal is going to pass a law where college coaches can only make $200,000 a year. If they do that UCLA will lose Alford and any good coach that may go there after they fire Alford.

For real? Every major college in California would be screwed. 

48 minutes ago, Indykev said:

No way any state could be that stupid.  Not even California. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Have you heard much about how Coleman views IU?   From what little I’ve read about him, he mentioned UCLA.  I really like that he plays really hard.

I do not know. I've seen Coleman once in person this past season vs a very good FC squad and I wasnt impressed. Now.. athletically... there isnt a better athlete 6'5 or shorter in this class or many. If he were 6'8 he would be top 50. 

Archived