Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Indykev said:

Cal is that stupid. I could spend a week telling you why, but HH and HF would ban me.  :coffee:

Talking about stupid things like this? http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/31/california-water-limits/#.WxXCC4Y10ko.twitter

Or that nearly half the people want to move out? https://www.scribd.com/document/380877371/2018-BAC-Poll-Topline-More-Plan-to-Exit-Bay-Area-as-Problems-Mount  That might be worse than IL! 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Is Leal the next Bloomington to IU product?  We take a look back at that history and a little closer look at Leal.  I appreciate his Mom Sherry helping us out here.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/bloomingtons-anthony-leal-is-a-rising-class-of-2020-star/

Nice write up! Great info...always look forward to your articles!

11 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Is Leal the next Bloomington to IU product?  We take a look back at that history and a little closer look at Leal.  I appreciate his Mom Sherry helping us out here.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/bloomingtons-anthony-leal-is-a-rising-class-of-2020-star/

Really like his game. Hopefully, he transforms into a stud over the next couple of years because it sounds like he would immediately commit to IU if he had an offer. 

15 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Really like his game. Hopefully, he transforms into a stud over the next couple of years because it sounds like he would immediately commit to IU if he had an offer. 

He’ll get his chance this upcoming season. He’s going to be the main guy for South

17 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Let's offer him now !  Seriously.  That way, should he commit, IU's staff can start offering suggestions and mold him into the player they want him to be.

It happened with De'Ron.  Even before he committed to IU. Coach Crean was asking De'Ron and Danny Fisher (De'Ron's), what he (Crean) would like to see De'Ron working on his game.  Keeping in mind, it was Crean suggesting that De'Ron work on his drop back three.  In the case of Leal, I think Archie would be more in tune. 

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Let's offer him now !  Seriously.  That way, should he commit, IU's staff can start offering suggestions and mold him into the player they want him to be.

It happened with De'Ron.  Even before he committed to IU. Coach Crean was asking De'Ron and Danny Fisher (De'Ron's), what he (Crean) would like to see De'Ron working on his game.  Keeping in mind, it was Crean suggesting that De'Ron work on his drop back three.  In the case of Leal, I think Archie would be more in tune. 

Wait...Crean was really asking for De'Ron to work on a back drop 3 pointer? Are you being serious?

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Wait...Crean was really asking for De'Ron to work on a back drop 3 pointer? Are you being serious?

Not sure if true, but don't see how that considered to be a bad thing necessarily. Another weapon to a kid's game, why not? I'm sure he operated in the paint in high school, but the ability to hit an open three never hurt anyone. I'd say hitting an occasional open three as a big man is helping a guy like Thomas Bryant carve out a sustained place in the league longer term...

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I'm assuming the coaching staff is holding off because they are only going to take one of Leal/Galloway and want more time to found out which one is better. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Deadly serious.  There is a video somewhere on You Tube where De'Ron talks about it.  I looked for it, and could not find it.  I'll look again, and link it, should I be able to find it.

Edit :  Found the video, where De'Ron talks about what Crean wanted De'Ron to be working on before getting to IU.  That part starts at approx 1:28 of this video :

Derby Festival Basketball Classic: De'Ron Davis 

2 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Not sure if true, but don't see how that considered to be a bad thing necessarily. Another weapon to a kid's game, why not? I'm sure he operated in the paint in high school, but the ability to hit an open three never hurt anyone. I'd say hitting an occasional open three as a big man is helping a guy like Thomas Bryant carve out a sustained place in the league longer term...

De'Ron is a monster. He needs to be working inside the paint - not outside by the three (lets not forget, he was working on free throws last year and still managed to air ball one, I wouldn't want him wasting time working on threes) Thankfully it appears as though Archie is making sure he spends most of his time inside the paint..  After all, there were times last year, when healthy, he dominated opponents inside i.e., Duke. If he can stay healthy, he can be a load to deal with. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Deadly serious.  There is a video somewhere on You Tube where De'Ron talks about it.  I looked for it, and could not find it.  I'll look again, and link it, should I be able to find it.

Edit :  Found the video, where De'Ron talks about what Crean wanted De'Ron to be working on before getting to IU.  That part starts at approx 1:28 of this video :

Derby Festival Basketball Classic: De'Ron Davis 

De'Ron is a monster down low when he can stay healthy...see Duke game. Thankfully, it appears Archie is having De'Ron just take shots inside the paint. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4OnEPWSNk

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

De'Ron is a monster down low when he can stay healthy...see Duke game. Thankfully, it appears Archie is having De'Ron just take shots inside the paint. 

Not only inside the paint, but under and along side the bucket.  In case you missed it, I posted this in the Summer Video Thread of the General Basketball board just the other day.

Just as you say, he was working under the bucket.   And there are clips, also of him working under the bucket in the Duke game.

IUBB - De'Ron Davis Summer ‘18 Mixtape

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I would take him for sure depending how the guard situation plays out. 

Either somebody goes early after 2019 in which case we will have 3 or more scholarships and can afford a guy to develop in the class a bit.

or

Nobody leaves early and will have non freshmen studs at every position. 

On 7/10/2018 at 1:55 PM, milehiiu said:

I would have suggested free throw shooting...or finishing around the basket..🤔

I saw Leal play once last season, but I didn't watch him from the perspective as a potential IU recruit.  I do remember him being a very skilled scorer.  The game was kind of a grinder (low 40's), but if I recall correctly, he had about half of South's points.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

I’ve only seen highlight videos of each of them, which don’t show much. Care to elaborate?

He’s a smart basketball player. He’s got a good skill set and plays with a high motor. Not to mention the jump in the rankings. A recruit doesn’t luck into that. I’m pretty sure IU has waited on offering either Galloway or Leal because they want to see how latter does at South this upcoming season. If he performs like I think he will, he’ll get an offer

Archived