Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Leal thread kept popping up to the top throughout the day and I didn't get any Leal info from it

and

seems to me that Brooks related chat would benefit everyone more if it was in the Brooks thread.

why do you care?

Agreed Brooks close to a commitment and no indication at this time leal is ready to anytime soon. That's why there are dedicated threads and not all lumped into one.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Depends on how confident we are with that kid from PA or that guard from Missouri.

I hear you but the kid apparently has power 5 level talent and Archie has been pretty clear about locking down the borders. I understand passing on Hemingway but this kid appears to be a step up in talent from that level.

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We might only have 2 scholarships.  If we can get 2 top 50 guards elsewhere he might not.  Plus there's the loaded 2021 class with Lander, Blackmon, etc.

All other things remaining equal (academics, work ethic, off the court, etc.) I take the 80th ranked 4 star prospect from my home town  before I take the 45th ranked prospect from another state.  I do that 100% of the time.  It's a no-brainer.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

All other things remaining equal (academics, work ethic, off the court, etc.) I take the 80th ranked 4 star prospect from my home town  before I take the 45th ranked prospect from another state.  I do that 100% of the time.  It's a no-brainer.

It's not a no brainer.  So you'd take Jordan Hulls over say Troy Williams?

38 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Can’t tell if this is a serious question. 

Yeah, plus this example is lacking in requisite equalizers. Hulls and Williams were two very different players who brought very different things. Both were absolutely valuable to our program. 

I tend to side with the last two posters: it’s great if we attract and deploy top level talent and if they make it to the league, but that’s barely a cursory concern when comparing to what they do while they’re in Bloomington. I watch IU basketball because I want to see us challenge for Big Ten and national titles, not because I want to project what they might do at the next level (a level, incidentally, I could honestly care less about).

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For what they ultimately gave us in their IU careers?  Absolutely.  I don't care about who is playing in the NBA.  I care about what they do for IU.

Hulls might not have ever played an NCAA tournament game had Crean whiffed on Zeller.  Just saying.  I'm all for taking Indiana players but if we're talking 50 spots in the rankings give me the highest rated guy.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think it's a no brainer, otherwise we'd never talk about Keith Smart, AJ Guyton, DJ White, Vic Olidipo and so on.  As Dane Fife once said (and I will paraphrase) "Some were born Hoosiers, and some were born TO BE Hoosiers"

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hulls might not have ever played an NCAA tournament game had Crean whiffed on Zeller.  Just saying.  I'm all for taking Indiana players but if we're talking 50 spots in the rankings give me the highest rated guy.

And Troy couldn’t have taken the team to an NCAA birth by himself either.  Hulls was a better college player than Troy and it really isn’t that close.  Is Troy the better athlete?  Yes, but that doesn’t mean he’s the better college basketball player.  You say “give me the kid 50 spots higher” acting like Troy was a top 10 high school player.  He wasn’t and there are all kinds of examples of lower ranked kids outplaying higher ranked ones when you’re still talking the top 150 players.

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

I don't think it's a no brainer, otherwise we'd never talk about Keith Smart, AJ Guyton, DJ White, Vic Olidipo and so on.  As Dane Fife once said (and I will paraphrase) "Some were born Hoosiers, and some were born TO BE Hoosiers"

Oladipo, Smart etc dont quite fit what fouls was saying, IMO.

He mentioned a local 80 ranked over a non local 40 ranked. Give or take.

I don't think Smart ot Oladipo fit the bill. And I dont think we passed on a local guy, somewhat similarly ranked oprion in favor of those guys.

I took his point as being relatively close ranked guys. IU having an option to take one or the other, he would take the SLIGHTLY lower ranked guy if he is local.

I kind of see your examples  not fitting the comparisons he laid out.

34 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oladipo, Smart etc dont quite fit what fouls was saying, IMO.

He mentioned a local 80 ranked over a non local 40 ranked. Give or take.

I don't think Smart ot Oladipo fit the bill. And I dont think we passed on a local guy, somewhat similarly ranked oprion in favor of those guys.

I took his point as being relatively close ranked guys. IU having an option to take one or the other, he would take the SLIGHTLY lower ranked guy if he is local.

I kind of see your examples  not fitting the comparisons he laid out.

Obviously I would rather have a team of Indiana kids than the opposite.  But we need to win.  UK, Duke, UNC, and KU are doing just fine with out of state guys.  Give me that vs guys who get stomped in the Sweet 16 any day of the week.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Obviously I would rather have a team of Indiana kids than the opposite.  But we need to win.  UK, Duke, UNC, and KU are doing just fine with out of state guys.  Give me that vs guys who get stopmted in the Sweet 16 any day of the week.

Right. Agreed, but nobody is saying pass up on an Isaiah Stewart for a 3 star Indiana kid. I feel some are misunderstanding what fouls was saying.

This kid has a higher composite ranking than all but one guard on our roster, including our 2019 class. And with Romeo we get him for a year. In case you missed it, we struck out on about 10 different Top 100 guards this year. That's great that people think Leal would be taking the spot of the next Smart, Oladipo, or DJ White. But get real. A bunch of us wanted Brandon Newman. Leal is more versatile, higher ranked, AND might be even better shooting. 

This is a no brainer to me. He's already got offers to Xavier, Maryland, Iowa, and likely others. I think he gets the offer soonish. I hope he takes it on the spot.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Right. Agreed, but nobody is saying pass up on an Isaiah Stewart for a 3 star Indiana kid. I feel some are misunderstanding what fouls was saying.

There were plenty on this board who argued that we shouldn't have offered Vic, because there were 100 3 star kids in Indiana to choose from.  I thought that was exactly what Fouls was saying.  I see your point on the others, but Vic still makes my point.

Archived