Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

1 hour ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Can someone tell me why we haven't offered this kid yet? With his shooting ability it seems like a no brainer. He would likely commit right away too.

I agree.  It's gonna look bad when the kid that wins Mr. Basketball is from Bloomington and goes to Xavier or something. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

I agree.  It's gonna look bad when the kid that wins Mr. Basketball is from Bloomington and goes to Xavier or something. 

People are wondering if it is physical maturation as he is a year older than everyone.  20 class sucks in Indiana. They also passed on Jallow.  

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

People are wondering if it is physical maturation as he is a year older than everyone.  20 class sucks in Indiana. They also passed on Jallow.  

I’m sorry, but age, nor maturation should be a factor when recruiting a college kid. Sure, if you’re scouting for the Pacers then I get it... but, not in this instance.

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I’m sorry, but age, nor maturation should be a factor when recruiting a college kid. Sure, if you’re scouting for the Pacers then I get it... but, not in this instance.

It most assuredly should matter when a kid is playing against kids younger than themselves. The difference between 16-17 is much more than 26-27

16 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Can someone tell me why we haven't offered this kid yet? With his shooting ability it seems like a no brainer. He would likely commit right away too.

I think the staff knows that once they offer, he's going to commit. They want to take their time and make sure that he's the real deal.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think the staff knows that once they offer, he's going to commit. They want to take their time and make sure that he's the real deal.

Yeah maybe they are waiting it out to make sure he keeps developing. That being said you need some pure shooters as well and that's something the current team needs.

Archie definitely holds off on offers more than his predecessor.  The recruiting results have been positive, so I guess it works. 

However, I think yesterday's game exhibited why we should get a shooter like Leal.  McDermott absolutely tore us apart.  As much as I like Archie, I'm a little frustrated we haven't added a guy like that yet.  And while I think we'll get one in 2020- I'm not sure why we haven't in 2018 or 19 class. 

4 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Archie definitely holds off on offers more than his predecessor.  The recruiting results have been positive, so I guess it works. 

However, I think yesterday's game exhibited why we should get a shooter like Leal.  McDermott absolutely tore us apart.  As much as I like Archie, I'm a little frustrated we haven't added a guy like that yet.  And while I think we'll get one in 2020- I'm not sure why we haven't in 2018 or 19 class. 

We do have shooters. Unfortunately one has been sidelined with an injury that threatened his playing career and the other one (Damezi) hasn't picked up the defense yet. I don't mind playing a little hard to get if it means you know once you offer it's a yes. How many times have we heard players say really working for that Duke offer or Kentucky offer,etc....

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

How is his defense?  We obviously need shooters, but if his D isn't what Archie desires, he will be buried on the bench. and we will be complaining about him getting zero playing time.

If you can't guard your shadow or understand what is and what isn't a good shot you aren't going to play yet. That is where Anderson is at. Archie has said the last 2 weeks he would like to get Damezi some playing time but yet hasn't played him. That says to me he is getting better in practice but Archie has no trust in him yet. I'm good with that. Some on here think they are better coaches and know better than Archie, they don't.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

If you can't guard your shadow or understand what is and what isn't a good shot you aren't going to play yet. That is where Anderson is at. Archie has said the last 2 weeks he would like to get Damezi some playing time but yet hasn't played him. That says to me he is getting better in practice but Archie has no trust in him yet. I'm good with that. Some on here think they are better coaches and know better than Archie, they don't.

Agreed!  

21 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

That and they aren't sure if he is a fit defensively. 

He does look like a good one. But "good enough?" should be the question. 

Ultimately, I think what happens with Love and Morton will have a DIRECT impact on whether or not he gets an offer. 

I was just going to ask about Love.  Think we have a decent chance?  I believe he's been to Btown multiple times.  I know we're all in on Morton.

22 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Indiana will push hard for both. Beilein isn't one to hit the road but he went to watch Morton the other day in-person. 

Definitely an uphill fight for both. We shall see what transpires. 

After Indiana's game with Jacksonville on December 22, they have a lot of time off before the Illinois game on January 3. That break, while beneficial for IU's health concerns, also affords the staff a chance to hit up a lot of the holiday tournaments. 

Should be very, very telling who they go and see over this time. 

As always thanks for the info.  I guess we can still expect a 4 man class for 2019.

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Indiana will push hard for both. Beilein isn't one to hit the road but he went to watch Morton the other day in-person. 

After Indiana's game with Jacksonville on December 22, they have a lot of time off before the Illinois game on January 3. That break, while beneficial for IU's health concerns, also affords the staff a chance to hit up a lot of the holiday tournaments. 

Do you think the staff is interested in landing multiple guards for that class?

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

As always thanks for the info.  I guess we can still expect a 4 man class for 2019.

I don't.  I think the staff is keeping their options open just in case, but I haven't heard anything definite leaning toward a 4-man class.  I've heard three and maybe four.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Uphill fight,i thought we were in good shape for Morton??

Archived