Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in on a few things in relation to this... 

- One of the most important things for Leal is to prove himself when the IU staff is watching. In the games they have gone to this year (and in his career before this season) there hasn't been those "moments" where he turns the corner with the ball. His shooting, IQ, body, upside. Those concerns aren't there. It's his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands. When he needs to catch it, take a dribble, make a play. Catch on the wing, shot fake, one dribble and be at the rim. Those plays have NOT occurred when the IU staff has been on-hand. 

- Clearly, Indiana would be "THE" team to beat in his recruitment if they offered. For those who don't know, BOTH of his parents are employed by the IU Foundation. He's grown up an IU fan, loves IU and it is an offer they crave. 

- Stanford is interesting here. Anthony's a very, very high-level student. Those who have said "my fear is he goes elsewhere and crushes us." I'd subside that fear because Indiana and Stanford won't be playing each other except in an exempt non-conference tournament or in the NCAA Tournament. Both of his parents understand the value of education and Stanford is as good as it gets. I am expecting him to take a spring "official" to Stanford. 

- "What about him paying his own way?" It's pretty disrespectful for a coaching staff to tell a family "We think you are good, but only for a walk-on spot." I've never heard a staff do it. I don't expect any Division-1 coaching staffs are that out-of-touch / stupid. I know it can be tough to discern a tone over the internet. So, I hope I don't come off as rude. Just trying to be real here. Everyone who is thinking of it... don't say it. Don't think it. Just don't. It's not real life. I say this out of love  for IU fans everywhere :)

- Those who talk about IU's shooting this season and talk of how there is a "huge need" for shooters. I don't disagree. IU could use more. Damezi is a good shooter and Al Durham has shot it well this year. Even Robert Phinisee (40% from three-point territory) is doing well. But, those guys don't have tons of usage (cough*Romeo*cough) but there is a need for a few more guys to space the floor. Is Anthony Leal one of them? Of course. He can be. But that doesn't mean a player two years away from college should get an offer because a team isn't shooting it that well. I expect Indiana to have some roster turnover and some of the outside shooting to be addressed / cured in the off-season. 

- The rankings thing. It's not as easy to say "Well, he's a top-100 player in our backyard. Take him!" Just a few points on that: 

1.) This coaching is staff is VERY, VERY competitive. They won't take anything just to appease someone else. 

2.) IU projects to have a VERY small 2020 class. If Leal was a 2018, 2019 or 2021 I think an offer would be a big expectation. But, he's in a small age group (numbers-wise) and the staff has to be cautious and careful about how to do things. They would never settle to get a recruit and fans shouldn't want that. 

3.) IU is in on better players. Ethan Morton looks like a better-passing version of Dakota Mathias and Caleb Love has 5* potential. Dawson Garcia could end up as one of the top-rated recruits in the country. 

4.) The staff wants to be DEAD SURE on a local kid. The last thing they want is to take him, he has a bad experience and the talk around town is that one of Bloomington's own hated his time at IU. Would send some serious bad vibes around the town. 

I REALLY hope this doesn't come off as snooty or arrogant or some $h!t like that. I'm just trying to be as honest and transparent on what is going on. 

My best,

SS 

As always. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

- One of the most important things for Leal is to prove himself when the IU staff is watching. In the games they have gone to this year (and in his career before this season) there hasn't been those "moments" where he turns the corner with the ball. His shooting, IQ, body, upside. Those concerns aren't there. It's his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands. When he needs to catch it, take a dribble, make a play. Catch on the wing, shot fake, one dribble and be at the rim. Those plays have NOT occurred when the IU staff has been on-hand. 

- Clearly, Indiana would be "THE" team to beat in his recruitment if they offered. For those who don't know, BOTH of his parents are employed by the IU Foundation. He's grown up an IU fan, loves IU and it is an offer they crave. 

- Stanford is interesting here. Anthony's a very, very high-level student. Those who have said "my fear is he goes elsewhere and crushes us." I'd subside that fear because Indiana and Stanford won't be playing each other except in an exempt non-conference tournament or in the NCAA Tournament. Both of his parents understand the value of education and Stanford is as good as it gets. I am expecting him to take a spring "official" to Stanford. 

- "What about him paying his own way?" It's pretty disrespectful for a coaching staff to tell a family "We think you are good, but only for a walk-on spot." I've never heard a staff do it. I don't expect any Division-1 coaching staffs are that out-of-touch / stupid. I know it can be tough to discern a tone over the internet. So, I hope I don't come off as rude. Just trying to be real here. Everyone who is thinking of it... don't say it. Don't think it. Just don't. It's not real life. I say this out of love  for IU fans everywhere :)

- Those who talk about IU's shooting this season and talk of how there is a "huge need" for shooters. I don't disagree. IU could use more. Damezi is a good shooter and Al Durham has shot it well this year. Even Robert Phinisee (40% from three-point territory) is doing well. But, those guys don't have tons of usage (cough*Romeo*cough) but there is a need for a few more guys to space the floor. Is Anthony Leal one of them? Of course. He can be. But that doesn't mean a player two years away from college should get an offer because a team isn't shooting it that well. I expect Indiana to have some roster turnover and some of the outside shooting to be addressed / cured in the off-season. 

- The rankings thing. It's not as easy to say "Well, he's a top-100 player in our backyard. Take him!" Just a few points on that: 

1.) This coaching is staff is VERY, VERY competitive. They won't take anything just to appease someone else. 

2.) IU projects to have a VERY small 2020 class. If Leal was a 2018, 2019 or 2021 I think an offer would be a big expectation. But, he's in a small age group (numbers-wise) and the staff has to be cautious and careful about how to do things. They would never settle to get a recruit and fans shouldn't want that. 

3.) IU is in on better players. Ethan Morton looks like a better-passing version of Dakota Mathias and Caleb Love has 5* potential. Dawson Garcia could end up as one of the top-rated recruits in the country. 

4.) The staff wants to be DEAD SURE on a local kid. The last thing they want is to take him, he has a bad experience and the talk around town is that one of Bloomington's own hated his time at IU. Would send some serious bad vibes around the town. 

I REALLY hope this doesn't come off as snooty or arrogant or some $h!t like that. I'm just trying to be as honest and transparent on what is going on. 

My best,

SS 

Thank you for the information and as always you know what you are talking about. When CoachSS speaks, I listen!

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

My best,

SS 

It absolutely does not come off as arrogant at all. You've got the goods to share what's goin on. Thanks as always 

12 hours ago, CoachSS said:

My best,

SS 

I follow you on Twitter coach so I see a lot of what you post on there, keep the excellent info coming, thoughts/opinions/etc. 

Love your stuff, Coach SS.  I live out of state and obviously haven’t seen Leal.  Is he a dead eye long range shooter who can get his shot off and make the D pay?  IMHO, if he is and Archie isn’t on him like white on rice, that’s a bad sign about his philosophy. 

Based on Leal’s ranking, presumably he’s a legit athlete for this level and not a Grant Gelon or Tim Priller.  There are 13 schollies. Not every single player needs to have the physical attributes you described in my opinion. There are spots for complementary players who get out to the arc and stretch the D.  

Now if Archie wants to argue that he wants physical attributes first and that you can get them to shoot, this year proves the point that it doesn’t work.  There’s a lesson studying a roster with guys like Phinnie, Green, Durham, and Fitzner who “can” shoot and you can see that’s simply not good enough.  The offense is thusly flawed.  There’s a huge difference between a guy who is capable of hitting a shot and a guy that the defense is terrified of shooting and they have to game plan for.  

Some years back, Mike Davis went against the grain and didn’t recruit Dominic James and mishandled Luke Harangody. This was discussed as nauseam on other boards when these guys were in high school and not with the benefit of hindsight. I remember saying that will be the end for Davis and it was.  

On 1/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, CoachSS said:

My best,

SS 

Just a quick update on this. Coach posted this 9 days ago. Stanford watching him tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I want this kid to be a Hoosier. CAM needs to stop waiting around imo. But I guess he is the one that is paid to make these decisions.

I believe Archie is on a bigger fish (Morton) and knows Leel is a lock if he offers...so we will wait to see how the Morton offer turns out. Not sure Archie would take Leel if he gets Morton given the roster makeup.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I believe Archie is on a bigger fish (Morton) and knows Leel is a lock if he offers...so we will wait to see how the Morton offer turns out. Not sure Archie would take Leel if he gets Morton given the roster makeup.

I agree on Morton but I would take him and Leal. I like them both better than Love imo. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Would it be too late for him to reclassify? I think I've seen articles talking about this kid being really smart and taking AP courses. Could definitely see a guard transferring at the end of the season and would allow us to still have room for Morton & Love.

He isn't going to reclassify. The staff has question marks about him and they are holding off. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Leal isn’t a lock if offered. Stanford is a serious contender here Leal is a very bright guy

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Kid is a lock...he can go to grad school at Stanford. He has been going to IU games since he was knee high to a grasshopper.

Just because guys grew up IU fans doesn't mean they will automatically jump at the chance to play. If he sees a better opportunity for himself then he might take it

12 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

Just because guys grew up IU fans doesn't mean they will automatically jump at the chance to play. If he sees a better opportunity for himself then he might take it

Yes, there is a 5 star named Boogie Ellis who grew and a UNC fan and said Carolina was his dream school and ended up going to Duke, still don't understand how you can do that.

Archived