Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I know all the reasons on why we are waiting to offer but if we let this kid out of our backyard I will be very disappointed and I dont care if we land the number 1 recruit in the country in his place. This is the type of player we NEED.

Agree exactly how I feel. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For some reason I get the feeling he will end up somewhere else.  More than likely stick it to us twice a year. 

I hope not I just don’t see how the coaching staff could pass on this kid but it sounds like he has prepared himself for that. I don’t care if he can’t shot fake and get around some defenders at this point or close out on a 3 in the pack line. That is what player development is supposed to do among other things. The kid shot something like 44% from three this year at south. It seems a good shot maker is what we need actually several would be nice. 

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know all the reasons on why we are waiting to offer but if we let this kid out of our backyard I will be very disappointed and I dont care if we land the number 1 recruit in the country in his place. This is the type of player we NEED.

And if the #1 player in the country is a better shooter?

16 minutes ago, Indykev said:

And if the #1 player in the country is a better shooter?

I just believe its hard to pass up guys that want to be here and have dreamed about it. I would rather have 4 years of leal vs 1 of the best player.  Probably not a popular or even wise decision but. When Mr Basketball is from Bloomington and he wants to go to IU and we pass . I feel that will do more damage than taking him and he not getting a lot of PT. 

If the #1 player is a 2 or 3 yr guy little bit different story

56 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just believe its hard to pass up guys that want to be here and have dreamed about it. I would rather have 4 years of leal vs 1 of the best player.  Probably not a popular or even wise decision but. When Mr Basketball is from Bloomington and he wants to go to IU and we pass . I feel that will do more damage than taking him and he not getting a lot of PT. 

Agreed... let's stay away from the one-and-done guys until we have a better foundation and culture. Leal, in my opinion, would help get us there.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Would coach Miller have taken Jordan Hulls??

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Im with you,you dont pass on talent in the backyard and the damage would hurt...could you imagine other coaches talking to future recruits and saying..dont go to IU they didnt even offer a Mr.Basketball candidate in there own back yard...not good

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Im with you,you dont pass on talent in the backyard and the damage would hurt...could you imagine other coaches talking to future recruits and saying..dont go to IU they didnt even offer a Mr.Basketball candidate in there own back yard...not good

Did you want RMK to offer Mark Jewell or Jeff Gross both who were Mr. Basketball in 85 and 86

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Mr.Basketball in there own backyard, read again 

Saying that just because someone is a Mr. basketball and from Bloomington does not mean he is a big ten caliber player.  Not saying he is not but I would not just offer a player just because he was from Bloomington.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummmm  Jewell and Grose both ended up at Big 10 schools.

Jewell ended up at Evansville but would you wanted either one at IU.  Maybe I should have said high big ten caliber because at that time NW was not a high caliber big ten program.  Also if you read my post about Gross and Jewell I never said they were not big ten caliber player.  I just asked thee poster if he would wanted RMK to offer them.

Did you want RMK to offer Mark Jewell or Jeff Gross both who were Mr. Basketball in 85 and 86

This was my quote about Jewell and Gross so where did I say they were not big ten caliber.

Being a former Indiana high school basketball coach I can tell you many of our former coaches did a lot of damage to their relationship with the high school coaches. RMK did not care or had to worry about it. 90 percent of us ran motion offense played mam to man and went to hear coach anytime we could.  We loved what he brought to high school basketball. CAM can get their but he still needs to build positive relationships with in state kids and coaches.  JR Holmes is a guy that could really help us. Look what happened when Jack Kiefer got ticked at IU

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Jewell ended up at Evansville but would you wanted either one at IU.  Maybe I should have said high big ten caliber because at that time NW was not a high caliber big ten program.  Also if you read my post about Gross and Jewell I never said they were not big ten caliber player.  I just asked thee poster if he would wanted RMK to offer them.

This was my quote about Jewell and Gross so where did I say they were not big ten caliber.

Jeff Grose averaged 10 ppg  career and was a career 87% free throw shooter and a 40 % career 3 point shooter....who couldn't use that in the Big Ten,I don't know if RMK offered or not but I bet he took a look

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Jewell went to Iowa...where he ended up at doesn't matter.  I supposed you would have passed on Scott Haffner....he went to Illinois and ended up with the Aces as well.  Knight recruited Simmons.....he ended up at Evansville too.

24 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Jeff Grose averaged 10 ppg  career and was a career 87% free throw shooter and a 40 % career 3 point shooter....who couldn't use that in the Big Ten,I don't know if RMK offered or not but I bet he took a look

Jeff ended up with over 1,000 pts as well.

Sorry off topic but somewhat related

what was the name of the kid that was a class or 2  after Hulls and was supposedly a really great 3 point shooter. As a Sophomore he was considered a top 150 I think. May have had an offer from Wisconsin and we were all over thinking we should offer. Don’t know where he ended up. Thought his name was maybe Spencer or something. 

15 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

what was the name of the kid that was a class or 2  after Hulls and was supposedly a really great 3 point shooter. As a Sophomore he was considered a top 150 I think. May have had an offer from Wisconsin and we were all over thinking we should offer. Don’t know where he ended up. Thought his name was maybe Spencer or something. 

Could it have been Bryant MacIntosh 

14 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

Spencer Turner maybe who you are talking about not sure where he went. I may be wrong but I think his dad is Scott Turner played for Indiana State and an all state player from Bedford. I think Leal is a much better prospect but I guess I can only say that because of offer list slept since then

33 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Spencer Turner maybe who you are talking about not sure where he went. I may be wrong but I think his dad is Scott Turner played for Indiana State and an all state player from Bedford. I think Leal is a much better prospect but I guess I can only say that because of offer list slept since then

I think he went to Belmont

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

That’s who it was. He was big time hype. Leal does seem to be a much better prospect with better size if i recall correctly. 

Archived